“Well-appointed and central ”
Review of Moss Hotel

Moss Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Moss
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This iconic hotel is located in the city centre. The rooms are of good size and equipped with the essentials.

It seems this property is undergoing a refurbishment and improvements within the product are noticeable - good water-pressure and despite staying in a front room didn't heard any noise. Perhaps some attention to details could make this property even better.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank rapsromeo
Oyvind L, General Manager at Moss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear rapsromeo,

thank you for choosing Moss Hotel!
We are continously working in order to further improve the hotel, and so far we had to priorotize the main points. I do agree with you regarding details, this is something we have not been able to focus on yet, but have not forgotten I can assure you!

Thank you for your notice, this is very important for us.

We hope to welcome you back soon again!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We are still in Moss Hotel, enjoying kind service and a lovely hotel. Old reviews talked of outdated decor and facilities but this has obviously been addressed. Rooms are spacious and well equipped, bathrooms are beautiful, staff are courteous and very helpful. Breakfast is great! Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear kbowie70,

we are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay, and we hope to welcome you back to Moss Hotel in the near future!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

All the rooms have be done over and are amazing. They are very modern and DO NOT SMELL!! The bathrooms are also beautiful with a large soaking bathtub and hair dryer . Coffee
and hot water available around the clock. There is a water cooler on each floor that also dispensed hot water.

Heard their lunch is superior and would have tried it if the cook had not been given a month off
for Christmas. Seems like a great place to work! I was there mid Jan.'14 visiting my 92 year old Aunt and was traveling alone for the US.

Friendly, helpful and caring staff! Was checked in by Martina who was most professional and welcoming and she also rotates at the Breakfast Buffet. Amazing buffet!! Bacon, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, cheeses, lox, caviar, fruit, yogurts,cereals and fresh baked crusty breads etc. If you have been out to eat in the area then you'll know what an added value this truly is. Gluten free bread is also available upon request.

Natalie also worked the front desk and was so very kind as well. She even offered to carry my luggage down from the 3rd floor!! Thanks for the offer Natalie! (did do it myself)

Panos was very personable too and worked the night shifts. The cleaning staff could not
do enough to make your stay pleasant. Really like Ustona (sorry I know the spelling is off) who
was from Polland. Tell her Ellen from NY sent you.

Oyvind Lorange is the manager and keeps it all running smoothly! If you are looking for a friendly place that makes you feel special this is it!! Thank you everyone for a memorable
stay! I will always remember your kindness and hope to visit again.

Ellen Mason
Hauppauge, NY

Room Tip: Was in room 317 on the 3rd floor. End of the hall and a quiet location. Comfy bed and clean room!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Oyvind L, General Manager at Moss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Ellen,

thank you for your kind feedback and for staying with us in January! The entire team at Moss Hotel says hi, and we hope you will visit us from the US soon again!

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights whilst we visited friends in Moss. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist . Our room was on the first floor.... No lift . Not a problem for us but may be for some.
Room was clean and tidy but a little compact, particularly for 3 adults. Great modern shower room. Great powerful shower.
Reception area was spacious and comfortable. The breakfast area was basic but functional. Fully self service. Breakfast was plentiful and had everything you need. Free tea and coffee available all day and night at reception. On several occasions the water in the thermos was Luke warm but the staff obligingly changed it on request.
On our last day the weather was warm so we sat outside with a cool beer. Plenty of outside space.
If you get the chance visit Lucky Luke's bar. We saw Knut Riersrud , a Norwegian jazz and blues player.. Fantastic musician and venue. Moss itself doesn't offer much for a tourist. We only stayed there because we were visiting friends. Oslo is 50 minutes away by train. The journey in is comfortable . Now Oslo is definitely worth a visit.
We found Norwegian people very friendly and everyone seems to speak excellent English. Norway is very very expensive. If this is an issue for you, then just don't go!! There is just nothing cheap. It is probably 4 times as expensive as the UK!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear TheTraveller1963,

thank you for your response! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Moss Hotel.

We hope to see you again in Moss Hotel soon!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Look at my past reviews - I'm a fussy traveller. With that in mind, my expectations of Moss Hotel were not particularly high, especially as my usual stays in Scandinavian hotels are much of a muchness - expensive, tired and lacking the basics. This hotel, however, was actually really nice.

The previous reviews bemoaned some real trivial things - lack of luggage rack, no shelf in the shower, etc. If such things really spoil your stay then I pity you. In my room there was a strange, Ikea-like freestanding block section where you could put the suitcase, loads of space at the end of the warm, powerful shower for putting toiletries, complimentary tea and coffee, fast and free wifi, loads of towels, a nice view of the church and a reasonably comfy bed. Yes it is expensive compared with UK prices but that's Norway for you - my stay at the Scandic Edderkoppen in Oslo was the same price but this hotel is much nicer.

It is handy for early starts from Rygge Airport which is a fifteen minute cab journey away.

For a nice evening meal, head to Cafe Bare just at the bottom of the road past the shopping centre.

Room Tip: 216 was a nice room, a nice view and loads of space.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Shaun,

thank you for your kind words, and we hope too see you again sometime very soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I didn't want to do it, but they made me - those awful voices at my office. If I could choose, I would stay at a hotel where it doesn't smell bad in the lobby, where it doesn't smell like a designated area for smoking in my room - despite the fact that it is a non-smoking room. I would choose a room where the wallpaper still is attached to the wall, where the shower looks welcoming and not appallling. I would sleep in a bed big enough to stretch out and comfortable enough to actually sleep in.
I did not want to stay at Moss Hotel, but the voices at my office made me do it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Imedvindfranord

Dear Imedvindfranord,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. After seeing your review you have been very unlucky and got a room that was way overdue on renovation early last year.
I can promise you that all the rooms are now in good shape, all with new floors, beds etc.

I hope you will give us another chance in the future!

Reviewed 12 April 2013

This is no Marriott or Hilton but it probably has more history in it than a whole chain of corporate hotels. The Moss Hotel is situated in the centre of town and as you will see from a framed letter and photo in the bar, its history goes back a long way.

The hotel is tired and would probably need a fortune spending on it. However, the room I had was clean and spacious although the bathroom would have benefitted from a few more modern amenities. However, the shower was good, strong and hot. The (single) bed was extremely comfortable.

The welcome was sincere and very friendly and this alone wold provide me with a good reason to return. Breakfast was fine and, importantly, the hotel had fast, free Wi-Fi.

Remember, this is not a chain hotel but it is a genuine piece of the locality and you should not be discouraged form booking, especially if you want to stay in a ‘real’ hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Nferguso,

thank you for your kind words! It is great to hear that you had a pleasant stay at Moss Hotel.

As you mention, the hotel is old, and as a matter of facts it was rated as one of the worst hotels in Norway in 2010, and well deserved to be honest. (That is a result of 30+ years without any work whatsoever on the rooms or elsewhere.)

We have been working day in-and-out since 2010, and are improving a lot along the way. Since your stay last year many of our bathrooms have gone through minor and major renovations, in addition to other improvements.
We are happy to say that our guests now are in general very happy to stay at Moss Hotel, but we know that we are not finished yet, it is still alot we can work on! (it takes some time to improve everything when we had all in our hands from 2010..)

Hope to see you soon again!

Øyvind, Moss Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Moss
Hotell Refsnes Gods
Hotell Jeloy Radio
Hotell Jeloy Radio
#3 of 5 in Moss
Nesparken Hostel Moss

Been to Moss Hotel? Share your experiences!