“Comfortable, great service, excellent breakfast buffet”

Quality Hotel Tonsberg
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tonsberg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for business.
Pros: Very pleasant service from all hotel staff. Comfortable bed, clean room, internet connection worked well, shower was hot, TV had some English language channels, excellent breakfast buffet. I asked at reception if I could get hot water for tea, and they provided me with a kettle to take to my room.
Cons: No free parking at the hotel - we took the advice of reception and parked opposite the hotel outside the 2nd hand shop (worth a visit if you're looking for affordable souvenirs!) for £32 for 2 nights, which seemed extortionate! Swimming pool was closed for the winter season, and gym was empty - apparently for refurbishment.
Overall: I very much enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Go and visit the Viking boat builder just around the corner - he's very welcoming, and encouraged us to go up into the boat, which is magnificent! Rimi supermarket across the road is convenient. Some nice restaurants along the water-side further on. Would happily return!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear guest, APscotland.
I want to thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.
The parking is unfortunally owned by a privat parking company, so the hotel does not have any free parking for the hotel.
It’s correct that the gym is refurbishment, but we have a agreement for our guest with a gym only 5 minutes walking distanse from the hotel in the meantime.
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, and hope to see you back soon.
Have fantastic summer! :)

There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel Tonsberg

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Spent a weekend here with a huge conference. All parts of hotel was just average and ordinary, except small room, and lunches and dinners, which were dull and bad quality (probably due to the large number of people present). Location is nice, though, and some rooms have a nice view. Don't plan on getting your info on hotel amenities or town culture in a folder in the room. I couldnt even find the front desk phone number. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank kaldal
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear guest.
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I have notified the head chef about the dinner during the conference you attended, and it will be taking in consideration for our future conference meals.
Also thank you for telling us about missing hotel amenities information. It is suppose to be a folder in all of the guest rooms, so our housekeeping department will go over all of the rooms so we are sure that it is located on the desk, and the number to the Frontdesk is market on the phone in the room.
More hotel information and about the town culture is located in the lobby area on our information stand.
It is good to hear that you enjoyed the view and location of the hotel.
But I hope you will give us another chance in the future so we can improve the impression from your last stay.
I wish you a great summer.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

I stayed here several times before ad this hotel is one of the better ones in this town.

My last stay was in the beginning of March 2013. I had a superior room (241) which also serves as a disabled room. Nice, large and facing the river. The room is one of the largest on this floor and does not suffer from much hallway noise. The bathroom is relatively large but has a shower curtain instead of a cabinet, probably due to the HC accessability.
Flat screen tv, desk, two comfy chairs, coffee table...the usual stuff is here. At the time of my stay, a third bed was installed in my room but the room was so big, it did not matter.
The TV har the major Norwegian channels, some swedish, danish and BBC. Norwegian TV uses subtitles on their foreign language programmes istead of the much worse dubbing alternative.
There is also a mini bar but it is exceedingly expensive. Try the Rimi grocery store across the street....open from 0800 - 2300 Mon-fri and 0800 - 2100 sat.

I payed 1050 NoK online per night incl breakfast buffet. There are no non-breakfast rates in Norway, it is always included. The breakfast in good. All the ususals are there pluss some ecologic and dietry alternatives.

The check in process went smoothly. I used 3 min. Keep the room key booklet, you need it if you are going to charge something to the room. Just the keycard won't do.
The hotel has a garage but it is owned by at third party supplier. You must pay in advance and 24h costs 220 NoK. One hour costs 20 NoK. Ticket machines are placed in the garage and accepts cash (coins) and the major credit cards. The garage is not guarded 24h but there is video surveillance and a security guard is patrolling the area on a regular basis.

The hotel is located more or less in the middle of the center. Walking distance to the shopping areas, bars, restaurants, cinema etc. The town is the oldest town in Norway and is a popular destination in the spring and summer. make sure you check out the old viking boat being constructed just outside the hotel using only the tools available at that time.

Drawbacks? Yes of course :)
Being a popular destination, it can be crowded and noisy close to the hotel especially at night. Norwegians drink with both hands...
The hotel has large conference facilities which makes it a crow generator as well.
The prices are normal for Norwegian standards but can seem hight to anyone else.

In my room, I noticed that despite being a HC room, nothing was adapted to persons using a wheelchair. No emergency alarm in the bathroom, low level switches, easy-to-move furniture etc. They do however supply a small stool and hand rails in the bathroom.

During my last stay, the AC in my room was delivering extremely dry air. To a seriously discomforting level. I have never encountered this problem on my previous visits.
Hopefully this was a one-time experience. I notified the front desk and they were going to look into it.

All in all I can recommend the hotel. They have good value for money at the location is very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the river has a nice view but the proximity to the harbour bars can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MisterJan

Dear guest, Mister Jan.

Thank you so much for your review on trip advisor.
This makes us better in the future. I am very glad to hear that you are satisfied with the hotel.
We will look in to the HC rooms about your response about not being wheelchair adapted. Our Hc rooms should most definitely be to your acceptations.
The air ventilation is controlled centrally, but it had a control service not that long ago, so it should work as normal.
I hope to see you back again soon, and wish you a great summer. :)

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times. This is a good quality, average hotel for Norway. Modern styling, simple and clean.
Free wifi and comfortable beds. Reasonable price. Situated beside the harbour, with lots of nice restaurants nearby. I highly reccomend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim W
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear guest.

Thank you so much for yor review on Tripadvisor. We appriciate you taking the time to write about your stay with us in Tønsberg.
We are very glad to hear that you are pleasant stay, and hope to see you back soon.
Have a great day! :)

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Likely one of the better hotels in Tonsberg, located at the marina -
Excellent breakfast, with wide choice
Gym room a bit old fashioned and not well equipped, e.g. just two old bikes, no other equipment available

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank gvodbos
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear guest.

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadviser.
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast.:)
The eqippment is unfortunately a bit old, so we have decided that we only keep the weights.
We have an agreement with a trening studio only 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
In 2014 we want to make a fullflex gym when the hotel is under renvoations.
Hope to seee you back soon, have a great day.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I booked a "family room" for myself and three friends for a Saturday night. The price was a bit more steep than I'd expected, but I figured that I had little choice since room availability was low. Check-in went smoothly. We noticed a pair of used rubber gloves strewn down the hallway on our walk up to the room, which was slightly disturbing. More disturbing was the fact that the gloves were still there the next morning when we checked out. The room was a real disappointment, however. It was small for even a standard hotel room and contained two single beds and two fold-out cots. Definitely not what I was expecting for the price, which was double what I'm used to paying for a room of that size and standard in other cities in Oslo. But the worst part was that we could hear the bass from the hotel disco thumping through the floor until past 4 AM...and our room was on the fourth floor! Even earplugs couldn't block the noise. I expressed my displeasure at the situation to the receptionist upon checking out, explaining that I'd expect better from a room I'd paid that much for, and she informed me that the rate I'd booked was already steeply discounted. She offered to knock a bit more than 10% off the bill, but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. This hotel is very overpriced for the standard it offers, and I won't be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear Guest.
Thank you for the feedback from your stay!
Last weekend was a festival in Tønsberg city, and that is why the price is higher then a normal weekend since the availability is low.
There was also an after party event in cooperation with the festival, and all guests was suppose to be informed in advance, so i am sincerely sorry that you obviously were not informed, either upon reservation or check in!
I understand your frustration, and you should also have been given more then 10% discount on checkout! And i will be glad if you contact me so i can straighten the bill.

The rubber glows should been removed within the next day by the housekeeping department, so the housekeeping manager is notified and apologies for this!

I hope you will consider to give us another change in the further so we can make another impression?
We wish you a wonderful summer! :)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed in a standard double room last weekend, and I have to say the quality and fitting of the room was definitely above standard. It is very comparable to superior rooms in other hotels. The bathroom was a bit on the small side though and the glass shower divider did not function very well, wetting almost the entire bathroom floor. I didn't like the breakfast hall very much because of the impractical, heavy looking furnitures. There were these long tables, and during the busiest periods you might end up sharing a table with other hotel guests. We were also able to use the relaxing area at the top floor with a working sauna and a heated swimming pool, and with great sea views. The hotel is located right on the edge of the wharf and is very close to several excellent restaurants (try Conradis and the newly-opened Becks) on the waterfront.

We got free Ben & Jerry's ice cream cups when we arrived in Tønsberg and we asked the reception to keep them in the hotel freezer, which they obliged to with a smile. I left my key holder with my apartment keys at the hotel room only to realize it when I was already back in Oslo, but Marius at the reception eagerly helped me find the key holder and had it sent by mail overnight. Thanks again for the help!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear guest, thank you so much for taking the time posting a review from your stay.
We are very glad to hear that you had a nice stay at the hotel.
And we will take your feedback about the shower and the breakfast hall up for discussion, and try to come up with a better and more practical solution.
We hope to see you again soon, Marius and the rest of our staff wish you a great summer! :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonsberg
Quality Hotel Klubben
Quality Hotel Klubben
#2 of 7 in Tonsberg
Thon Hotel Tonsberg Brygge (Brygga)
Scandic Park Sandefjord
Clarion Collection Hotel Atlantic
Grand Hotel Asgardstrand
Grand Hotel Asgardstrand
#1 of 1 in Asgardstrand

Been to Quality Hotel Tonsberg? Share your experiences!