Quality Hotel Tonsberg
US$165
  • Fitness centre
Bjerko Gard(Tonsberg)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnice hotelnice viewthe main hotelperfect locationharbour areaice creambreakfast buffetnice roomcosts nokbacondecent sizesmall poolnordic choicebad showerceliac diseasefree wifigreat breakfast
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Quality Hotel Tønsberg is a standard Quality group hotel. Basically a hotel to stay while doing business in the city. The rooms are suitable to arrive from business and get a rest.
There's only a shower gel in the bathroom which is not so good. Towels are small and this is inconvenient during cold days. The heating system of the bathroom is not so good and when the temperature in the city is below zero it becomes a little bit cold inside. The heating system of the room is also old fashioned with complicated 4 time click operation which sometimes I felt it didn't work.
The price is normal for norwegian standard but high if you're coming from another country.
Across the street there is a Rimi supermarket.
There's an open parking place in front of the hotel and an underground one (more expensive). Make sure you get the parking ticket because in this city they really apply fines.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a good view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear guest, dadoSonny.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay at our hotel.
I am sorry that the heating system didn’t give the temperature you felt comfortable with during your stay in our hotel.
We will check out the system, and the function in the room you stayed in. Maybe something is not working the way it should so thank you so much for your review so we can do something about it.
Hope to see you back soon, and wish you a great summer. :)

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for business.
Pros: Very pleasant service from all hotel staff. Comfortable bed, clean room, internet connection worked well, shower was hot, TV had some English language channels, excellent breakfast buffet. I asked at reception if I could get hot water for tea, and they provided me with a kettle to take to my room.
Cons: No free parking at the hotel - we took the advice of reception and parked opposite the hotel outside the 2nd hand shop (worth a visit if you're looking for affordable souvenirs!) for £32 for 2 nights, which seemed extortionate! Swimming pool was closed for the winter season, and gym was empty - apparently for refurbishment.
Overall: I very much enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Go and visit the Viking boat builder just around the corner - he's very welcoming, and encouraged us to go up into the boat, which is magnificent! Rimi supermarket across the road is convenient. Some nice restaurants along the water-side further on. Would happily return!

Dear guest, APscotland.
I want to thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.
The parking is unfortunally owned by a privat parking company, so the hotel does not have any free parking for the hotel.
It’s correct that the gym is refurbishment, but we have a agreement for our guest with a gym only 5 minutes walking distanse from the hotel in the meantime.
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, and hope to see you back soon.
Have fantastic summer! :)

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Spent a weekend here with a huge conference. All parts of hotel was just average and ordinary, except small room, and lunches and dinners, which were dull and bad quality (probably due to the large number of people present). Location is nice, though, and some rooms have a nice view. Don't plan on getting your info on hotel amenities or town culture in a folder in the room. I couldnt even find the front desk phone number. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank kaldal
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear guest.
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I have notified the head chef about the dinner during the conference you attended, and it will be taking in consideration for our future conference meals.
Also thank you for telling us about missing hotel amenities information. It is suppose to be a folder in all of the guest rooms, so our housekeeping department will go over all of the rooms so we are sure that it is located on the desk, and the number to the Frontdesk is market on the phone in the room.
More hotel information and about the town culture is located in the lobby area on our information stand.
It is good to hear that you enjoyed the view and location of the hotel.
But I hope you will give us another chance in the future so we can improve the impression from your last stay.
I wish you a great summer.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

I stayed here several times before ad this hotel is one of the better ones in this town.

My last stay was in the beginning of March 2013. I had a superior room (241) which also serves as a disabled room. Nice, large and facing the river. The room is one of the largest on this floor and does not suffer from much hallway noise. The bathroom is relatively large but has a shower curtain instead of a cabinet, probably due to the HC accessability.
Flat screen tv, desk, two comfy chairs, coffee table...the usual stuff is here. At the time of my stay, a third bed was installed in my room but the room was so big, it did not matter.
The TV har the major Norwegian channels, some swedish, danish and BBC. Norwegian TV uses subtitles on their foreign language programmes istead of the much worse dubbing alternative.
There is also a mini bar but it is exceedingly expensive. Try the Rimi grocery store across the street....open from 0800 - 2300 Mon-fri and 0800 - 2100 sat.

I payed 1050 NoK online per night incl breakfast buffet. There are no non-breakfast rates in Norway, it is always included. The breakfast in good. All the ususals are there pluss some ecologic and dietry alternatives.

The check in process went smoothly. I used 3 min. Keep the room key booklet, you need it if you are going to charge something to the room. Just the keycard won't do.
The hotel has a garage but it is owned by at third party supplier. You must pay in advance and 24h costs 220 NoK. One hour costs 20 NoK. Ticket machines are placed in the garage and accepts cash (coins) and the major credit cards. The garage is not guarded 24h but there is video surveillance and a security guard is patrolling the area on a regular basis.

The hotel is located more or less in the middle of the center. Walking distance to the shopping areas, bars, restaurants, cinema etc. The town is the oldest town in Norway and is a popular destination in the spring and summer. make sure you check out the old viking boat being constructed just outside the hotel using only the tools available at that time.

Drawbacks? Yes of course :)
Being a popular destination, it can be crowded and noisy close to the hotel especially at night. Norwegians drink with both hands...
The hotel has large conference facilities which makes it a crow generator as well.
The prices are normal for Norwegian standards but can seem hight to anyone else.

In my room, I noticed that despite being a HC room, nothing was adapted to persons using a wheelchair. No emergency alarm in the bathroom, low level switches, easy-to-move furniture etc. They do however supply a small stool and hand rails in the bathroom.

During my last stay, the AC in my room was delivering extremely dry air. To a seriously discomforting level. I have never encountered this problem on my previous visits.
Hopefully this was a one-time experience. I notified the front desk and they were going to look into it.

All in all I can recommend the hotel. They have good value for money at the location is very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the river has a nice view but the proximity to the harbour bars can be noisy.
2  Thank MisterJan

Dear guest, Mister Jan.

Thank you so much for your review on trip advisor.
This makes us better in the future. I am very glad to hear that you are satisfied with the hotel.
We will look in to the HC rooms about your response about not being wheelchair adapted. Our Hc rooms should most definitely be to your acceptations.
The air ventilation is controlled centrally, but it had a control service not that long ago, so it should work as normal.
I hope to see you back again soon, and wish you a great summer. :)

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times. This is a good quality, average hotel for Norway. Modern styling, simple and clean.
Free wifi and comfortable beds. Reasonable price. Situated beside the harbour, with lots of nice restaurants nearby. I highly reccomend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim W
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear guest.

Thank you so much for yor review on Tripadvisor. We appriciate you taking the time to write about your stay with us in Tønsberg.
We are very glad to hear that you are pleasant stay, and hope to see you back soon.
Have a great day! :)