Quality Hotel Tonsberg
US$189
US$183
US$170
US$122
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsnice hotelnice viewthe main hotelperfect locationharbour areaice creambreakfast buffetnice roomcosts nokbacondecent sizesmall poolnordic choicebad showerceliac diseasefree wifigreat breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I'll start with the reasons I'm withholding the 5th star, because Quality Hotel Tønsberg is amazing and I wish we'd known about these things before:

1. Rooms in the red building directly behind the main hotel building seem to be smaller. We were initially given a room on the 5th floor on the red building (it's just across a little courtyard) and we were shocked at how tiny it was. To make matters worse, the slopping roof of the building cut into the ceiling of the room so dramatically that crouching was necessary over more than 50% of the floor space. This was our first hotel room in Norway, so we had no idea if this was standard of if we'd just been given a very poor room. It turns out that this was a very poor room (which is disappointing because like everyone else in Tønsberg that weekend, we were paying extremely highly rates because the Slottsfjell music festival was in town).

2. The very poor room situation was resolved by our 2nd issue with the hotel. Because of the aforementioned music festival in town (which we attended during the day), there were after parties hosted at the hotel's restaurant/bar each night. Our room looked down on the restaurant across the courtyard, and as the weather was warm we had our windows open at night. Even when we eventually shut our windows, the after party was so loud and continued so late (seemed like 3 in the morning...maybe we're just too old) that we lost a lot of sleep.

When we went down to complain, the young woman at the desk immediately offered to move us into a quieter room. Not only was the room now in the main hotel building on the other side of the property away from after party, it was easily three times the size of our previous room. Most importantly, the new room (300-something) had NO sloping ceiling intruding in the room. Lesson learned: if your room seems shockingly bad, it probably is. We were so happy with our new room that we really wish we'd said something on the first night (instead we moved during our 3rd day there so just had 1 day in the nicer room).

Onto the positives: amazing staff! Everyone was so friendly and helpful that we were sad to leave them. We loved a guy with glasses and beard who worked the night shift and made us to-go breakfasts on our last day (Scandinavian-style open faced sandwiches). When we told him how much we loved the hotel's sit-down breakfast, he assured us that it was the best in Tønsberg and he knew because he'd eaten them all! We also had a nice chat with Marius, who told us funny stories about working for EPCOT in Florida and shared his experiences at the music festival with us.

The other best thing about this hotel: the breakfast! It was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. They host in a huge facility where I'm sure they also do business meetings/meals, so we never had a problem finding somewhere to sit. Breakfast featured row-after-row of goodies, including pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, sausage (of several types), cold meats, cheeses, fish products, bread products and, best of all, smoothies! I'm sure I consumed at least half of my daily calories on the smoothies alone. I had major breakfast-related depression when we had to leave too early to catch our train on our last morning in Tønsberg (but as mentioned, the staff made us to-go breakfasts so we didn't go hungry).

All in all, as long as you avoid the 5th floor of the red building (room numbers in the thousands, ours was 3000-something) and there's not a major music festival in town with lots of after parties, this hotel should be great for you.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the 3000 number ranger.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Quinn M.

Thank you for you review on trip advisor. We are so glad to hear that you rate our hotel as 5thstar, and that you had a nice stay with us, but i am sorry to read that we didn’t reach your excitations with the room standard in the red building.
They are a bit smaller then the one on the main building, so i understand that you question this since the price is the same.
The weekend of the festival is full of music and party along the pier next to the hotel, and also during night in our hotel restaurant, and you should have been given this information upon your reservation so i must apologize that this.
I am so glad to hear that the receptionist gave you another room you was satisfied with, and that the service from our staff and standard at our breakfast was as we expect and want it to be! :)
Pål (the man with the glasses) and Marius says "thank you for your kind comment", and we hope to see you back again soon.
Have a great summer! :)

Reviewed 4 June 2013

The blond woman at the reception (wearing a sign saying she was a 1.receptionist) did not enjoy guests arriving and didn't make an effort to hide her discomfort. Maybe she was tired. Like I would be later.

They have a really noisy (and 'cheap'/vulgar) singing entertainment at the ground floor (the night before an ordinary work day). The shouting and singing, emphasised with a microphone and a potent amplifier, is amazingly loud several floors above.

I tried to call the reception to ask how long it would be going on, I needed to sleep. I let the phone ring for a few minutes, no one picked up. Luckily I did not want to report a fire. What are you supposed to do in case of a fire? Call the reception.

The music stopped at 22:30, not too bad, but the spontaneous and loud singing/shouting went on for another hour, then they energetically refurbished until midnight (00:00), with no consideration for the noise they caused for guests trying to sleep. At midnight it was finally quiet but I was wide awake after having tried to fall asleep for the last two hours.

I had a very stressing next day with intense work and had trusted this hotel. Unfortunately, this hotel doesn't care much about their guests needing to sleep.

I would advice putting up a sign: we will not let you sleep before midnight. Then guests can adapt and wait, and at least be able to fall asleep at midnight rather than be frustrated after two hours struggling.

The people running this hotel have an attitude problem.

• Stayed: June 2013
Ingunn S, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Tonsberg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear guest, Walkthere.
Thank you for you review on tripadvisor.
This helps us to be better in the future. I am so sorry for the experience you had with the service at our hotel during your stay. This makes us so sad to read, and most definitely is both attitude as you describe, and music level on events on a week night a big priority on our agenda after reading this review.
I hope you are will give us a new chance in the future, so we can apologize for the experience you had on our last stay, and give you a new impression of the hotel.

I wish you a really good summer! :)

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed one night with my son (8) and our experience with the hotel was good. Standard , comfy room and clean bathroom. My son would have liked at least 1 children's tv channel! My back didn't quite like the bed, but it wasn't very uncomfy either. Breakfast buffet was excellent! Very good location but a bit far to walk to from the train station. Take a taxi!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Trine L.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.
It makes us so glad to hear you had a nice stay, and that both the room and breakfast were at your expectations. Have a great summer, and we hope to see you back again soon. :)

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Good:
Nice location on the water, near the local restaurant row. People building replica Viking ships right outside. Breakfast & service in the restaurant were good. Wifi was free, though it was inconvenient to stop by the desk and pick up a new code each day. Bed was comfortable.

Not so good:
The rooms with a nice view are also right on top of the hotel bar. Noisiest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The front desk staff seemed puzzled that this was a concern. The room was not very clean--there were crumbs on the desk and some kind of sticky goo on the wallpaper. The hotel was supposed to be non-smoking, but the room smelled of old cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: If your room number is in the 50s, bring ear plugs, even more than one floor up.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest, Frequent_Flier_Girl.
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.
It makes us glad to read that the location of the hotel, breakfast, and service in the restaurant was as good as your expectations.
Another possibility for wifi without the code is to be a choice club member. It’s also free and then you can log on with your choice number so you don’t need another code every day. I am sorry that this was not offered to you during your stay.
I want to apologize for the noise during your stay. We had a big event on that date, and we will take the sound level for events to considerations in the future. It should not bother our guests.
The housekeeping manager is notified about the room not being at the standard we should have for our guest.
I really hope you will visit us again in the future and give us a new chance to change the impression you have from the comments on “not so good” in our hotel.
Have a good day, and a great summer. :)

Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Quality Hotel Tønsberg is a standard Quality group hotel. Basically a hotel to stay while doing business in the city. The rooms are suitable to arrive from business and get a rest.
There's only a shower gel in the bathroom which is not so good. Towels are small and this is inconvenient during cold days. The heating system of the bathroom is not so good and when the temperature in the city is below zero it becomes a little bit cold inside. The heating system of the room is also old fashioned with complicated 4 time click operation which sometimes I felt it didn't work.
The price is normal for norwegian standard but high if you're coming from another country.
Across the street there is a Rimi supermarket.
There's an open parking place in front of the hotel and an underground one (more expensive). Make sure you get the parking ticket because in this city they really apply fines.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a good view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest, dadoSonny.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay at our hotel.
I am sorry that the heating system didn’t give the temperature you felt comfortable with during your stay in our hotel.
We will check out the system, and the function in the room you stayed in. Maybe something is not working the way it should so thank you so much for your review so we can do something about it.
Hope to see you back soon, and wish you a great summer. :)