“Look for children and dogs and you'll find where the locals eat”

Vaertshuset Pieder Ro
Ranked #17 of 140 Restaurants in Kristiansand
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Tasty seafood dishes served in an elegant maritime setting close by the 'Fiskebasar'. Choose from our extensive a la carte menu: fish, shellfish and meat dishes. Herring buffet on Saturdays. Separate lunch menu. Courses and conferences catered for. Fully licensed. Open from 11/11.30 a.m.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Look for a restaurant with dogs and children, and you'll always find the place where the locals eat. The fish market area in Kristiansand, Norway, offers passing tourists an enticing choice of half a dozen restaurants clustered around the port, all of them as similar in appearance as their menus. But Pieder Ro stood out as the most Norwegian - a restaurant where the food is as authentic as its clientele - thanks to the presence of children and dogs. Also: you have to take seriously any restaurant that stocks almost a hundred different brands of Acquavite.
Once seated, the restaurant's fast wi-fi signal allowed us to access TripAdvisor and seek the advice of other contributors who had eaten here and recorded their menu choices. We can only reiterate their recommendation of the mussels, or the shrimp and smoked salmon salad. The moules were the best I have eaten since Dieppe in 1969, in a restaurant long since gone, along with my memory of its name.
We ate outside in the warm, late May sunshine but if you had to eat inside, it would be no hardship even on a sunny day. The bar at the end of the restaurant consists of a full-length sailing boat: a charming room, staffed by welcoming staff who, of course, like everyone in Norway, speak fluent English.
We had seventy minutes at Pieder Ro, before returning on time to our Fred Olsen cruise ship, the Balmoral. The bill, with wine and two delicious local Acquavites, added up to almost a pound a minute but I would happily have added another twenty minutes to the bill for the pleasure of being there.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Pieder Ro is located along with its strongest competitors close to the fishmarket. However, if you want fish served in a traditional and rustic manner with a hint of haute cuisine, choose Pieder Ro. Always fresh and well prepared fish and a friendly and attentative staff.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I've eaten here several times over the past few years and really never gave it much thought..until I got robbed here yesterday. Firstly, the signage board outside posted some specials and prices....I saw that they had onion rings. Big whoop huh? They advertised eight onion rings for 85 kroner...which after some currency conversion comes out to $14.00 US for 8 freeking rings...that's $1.75 per slice...quite a markup huh?

We were four. We ordered three small seafood soups, a chicken sandwich, two glasses of wine, a small beer and water. Wanna guess how much the total was?? 877 kroner...145.00 for a crappy, mediocre lunch! My soup had (yes I counted)...three mussels, one sliver of carrot, one tiny shrimp and a piece of salmon. The rest was thick cream. I was mega, mega pissed off...how dare you charge for such a crappy meal. Shame on you. I have lived in and out of Norway for almost 20 years and am very much aware of the cost of things...this place is just ridiculous...my friends' chicken sandwich was a lump of overlooked chicken breast on, as he called it day old hockey puck.

Utter ripoff....stay away! There are other restaurants here in Kristiansand with better food and prices. Get bent...and I hope you go out of business soon.

1  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Was looking for a place to take out of town visitors and thought of the nice location at the fish market. However, our group was apparently not young or hip enough to rate a table with a view, we were placed in a dark corner. I ordered Pieder Ro's fristelser for 139 NOK and got TWO dried out room temperature scallops with some avocado sauce and a relish which consisted mostly of raw onions. Horrendously over-priced, low-quality food. Will not go back and will warn others away from it.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

A really nice place for chilling out in hot days with some cold beers! Been here a couple of times, and will gladly come back to this place. Very good food as well.

Nice view located close to the sea..