“Could be a bit noisy if you are not fond of children.”
Review of Scandic Sorlandet

Scandic Sorlandet
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kristiansand
Reviewed 3 August 2012

As with most Quality Hotels, the rooms are excellent and comfortable and the quality of the food served is good.
However this hotel, particulary in the summer months, appears to cater for families and children and the hotel staff have a lot of events organised to keep children entertained and amused. There is a Zoo right next door to the hotel. Sometimes you find the hotel pool is closed as it is being used for childrens activities.

I understand the town/port of Kristiansand has a lot to offer the tourist who wants to explore further, but I and my friends were just staying one night before catching the ferry to Denmark.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Erik N, General Manager at Scandic Sorlandet, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Thank you so much for taking your time to inform us about your stay.
It is with pleasure we read your comments, and you have so right. During the period you where staying the hotel focuses on children and their families. We have a wide program for the kids and everything ends between 2300 - 00.00 every night. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we wish you and your family a continuos good vacation.

Yours sincerely

Erik Nordahl

Reviewed 3 August 2012

I have been at that hotel for only one night, and it was long enough!
Where to start, the room is clean, thats a plus, the almost rotten grill food in the fridge instead......
We asked for a double, basicaly there were 2 single bed put together, that weren't really fitting right, so several times during the night i woke up, almost stuck in the middle of the two.
We went down for dinner, the choice was with in pizza menu and buffet. We decided buffet, consisting of a wide range of different dishes, not really well pesented (the cheese plate was nothing more than a variety of 3 cheese stuck on the top of each others), the salmon i tasted must have been from breakfast (it had a strange color), the feta cheese was of the lowest quality (though in Norway you can purchase a decent quality one), the meat was cold and dry.
Then came the bill, 2 person buffet with two cola, we paid 745 kr! It would have been more fair to point a gun to my head and ask me that much!
We had breakfast the day after, if you do not want to have a full american breakfast, you are left with a cup of coffee, no croissant, no biscuits or anything else for those that want a continental breakfast!
It was one of the worste hotel i have ever been!
Highly not-recomended

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank andrea_lavoro

Thank you so much for taking your time to tell us about your experiences.
Your comments have been very valuable for us, and we can assure you that we always try to make the necessary steps for all guests so they have nice memories of the area and the hotel. During the summer season our hotel is for families with kids, and we are famous for our activities.
Again, thank you for informing us, without your commenst we cannot be better.

Yours sincerely,

Erik Nordahl

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Have been here several times during conferences, but yesterday was the first time I stayed over.
- The room was fair enough, clean despite feeling of old carpet. Not more to cheer about.
- The bathroom was rather small, and for the first time, I experience a hotel that had the wash was placed outside the bathroom? Strange to see it when you first have entered the room. I wondered I have checked into a lowclass motel?
- The shower was clean
- Breakfast was varied. There was even a cook standing there offered you own choice of mix to a omelete fried on site.
- Lunch buffer was assorted.
- Personal was polited.
- Free coffe and tea in the main area, not in the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Location is great in relation to the zoo, but other than that this hotel is supremely overpriced. We came during Easter season and the hotel seemed very understaffed. There were many families who waited well over an hour after the check in time. Some people were offered free dinner vouchers, but not everyone. Some children received Easter eggs with candy at check in, and others got nothing. I was glad that I asked about the dinner vouchers since that saved us about 700 kr!

We reserved a room with 1 queen bed, a bunkbed and crib. I was shocked at how they managed to fit so much furniture in such a tiny room. Bathroom was big but the tiles were discolored and the shower curtain was gross. Cracked glass on a picture frame in the room. Small TV. I felt ripped off for 1700 kr a night, ($280).

The one good thing about the hotel is the lower floor is a really big play area, with lots of toys. Perfect for small children. I imagine the outdoor pool is nice in the summer, but it was closed in April. Doesn't matter though because I won't be returning.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank GinNorway
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I stayed here for one night before a morning flight from Kristiansand. The airport is about 10 minutes away by car. A large group was checking in before me, which held things up. The weather was very bad (wind and rain) and there was some noise in my first room. I went down to reception and received another room without problem. The room was basic, but clean. The bathroom had a bath but the shower was in the bath, not standalone. I went down to the restaurant and it was obvious the large group (which I counted to be about 100) was about to descend on the restaurant and another group of 20 or so was already there. About 8 other tables were already occupied. Having had a heavy lunch (Norwegian Christmas dinner) I was wanting something light, but the offerings on that night's menu were quite heavy (steaks, Christmas dinners, etc.). I asked the waitress if they had salads or something light, chicken with salad for example. She said she'd ask in the kitchen. She returned with my beer and apologised that they did not have chicken available. She asked if something like an omlette with some salad would be okay. I said it would be just fine and said tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms would be super. She noted all this and, 15 minutes later (with an apology for the delay, but it really wasn't a problem) a large omlette (round and full plate size) with embedded mushrooms, ham, peppers, slices of tomatoe etc. with some salad arrived. It was just what I wanted. During the wait, the large party had come in to the restaurant and were starting to eat. I thanked the waitress very much for their efforts and she said it was no problem "it's our job". I felt very welcome and was impressed at the individual service despite the large groups, and the fact the kitchen was prepared to cook something not immediately available on the menu. Breakfast was also very good. As you can see from my other reviews, I don't eat much but the choice of cold and hot dishes for those who do was very good.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank eurocross
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I always try to use Choice_hotels when I travel around in Norway and this hotel has been used many times over the last years. It is not in the centre of Kristiansand, but placed close tp the highway and Zoo outside Kristiansand.
Friendly staff, clean room and very good for conferences. The food is really nice. During the summer when the zoo is open it is perfect for familys who wants to visit the zoo.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The hotel rooms are worn and represent a budget-standard at best.
The dinner-buffet and pizza-menu was very disappointing, especially at the prices they operate with. Breakfast buffet was better, but not impressive.
I understand the principle of market price, but the prices they charge for this product during high season is way above the limit of what is acceptable. Paying 2.000 kroner or even up to 3.500 kroner per night for this standard is downright disrespectful towards the guests.
On the positive side the facilities for children and families were good with plenty opportunities for playing and dedicated childrens buffets.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the center of the hotel. Noise from the disco will keep children awake. There is also...