“The best in Kristiansand”

Clarion Hotel Ernst
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kristiansand
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I recently stayed here for a business trip while visiting Kristiansand. I have previously visited KRS on a number of occasions and stayed at the Hotel Norge once and Radisson Blu on a few occasions.

I was plesently surprised when I arrived at the Clarion Ernst Hotel, it is modern, up to date, clean with friendly staff and excellent breakfast. The gymnasium has a few state of the art treadmills and cross trainers, a weights area and sauna on the Basement floor which I used on a few of the days. Beer and food was good in the bar, although bar area was too quiet for me so I decided to go elsewhere on the remainder of the evenings. Free wireless Internet throughout the hotel.

Overall, I could not complain about anything and the Clarion Ernst will be my only choice when visiting KRS, I just hope they are not fully booked as I will be seriously dissapointed going back to Raddison Blu or Hotel Norge,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Hello!

you are welcome to stay with us agian

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Ernst

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have stayed here a lot for business purpose - and there is a reason why!

The hotel is modern and comfy, with clean rooms and good beds. Just make sure you don't get a room towards the west street outside the hotel during weekends, the karaokebar on the other side of the road might get a little intense.

Clarion Hotel Ernst also has an excellent reception - there is nothing they can't fix! (Even when there is no available space in the car parking and a car must be towed away)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Hello!

Thank you for the nice review. we are really happy to here that you like it here.

hope you will come back soon again

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We liked the Clarion Ernst, as it was close to all facilities in Kristiansand. Markens shopping street is just around the corner. The staff are really friendly and the hotel is refurbished and appears clean and comfortable. Breakfast was really good, with lots of items to choose from. They even make you an omelette if you like. They have a small spa/fitness area and a restaurant/bar. The interior designers who styled the hotel must have thought that more is less, but it works, and it kind of cool.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

thank you for your nice reveiw of Clarion Hotel Ernst

we look forward to welcome you again

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed together with hubby and kids aged 7 and 9 for one night in suite 315. We got a good corporate rate through our job, and fulle enjoyed our stay. However, there is still room for improvement and here are our reasons for not giving Hotel Ernst a 5 star rating.

When booking on the phone, we were informed that the suite would accomodate two extra beds for the kids. What we got instead was a rather narrow sofabed. The kids are growing older and bigger and the sofabed showed to be a bit tight. That was also the reason why we had booked the suite and not the family room, because the thought of two extra beds (and not the bunkbed in the family room) would better accomodate our family.

We would also have preferred a bigger double bed. I guess the one in room 315 is like 150 cm wide, and there was more than enough room for a wider bed. Then they might also have provided us with one more of the comfy large pillows (we only received one).

Lack of large fluffy towels (that is part of the hotel-feeling that I prefer).

The bathroom is also a bit narrow I think.

Then over to the good parts:

Really serviceminded staff
Good breakfast
Lots of space in room 315
Lots of storage space in room 315
Very good soundproofing. The paper said that Kristiansand had been hit by lightening and thunder storm and we did not hear a thing.
Excellent black out drapes.

We will be coming back to this hotel as we still had an excellent stay, but next time we will check more thoroughly as to what kind of bedding there is for the kids.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Hello Jenta!

Hope you will come back soon

Reviewed 25 April 2013

For the first time in many years I have just spent a night at Hotel Ernst, and it was as I remembered - a fine place to be. Coming in with the ferry from Denmark, the hotel has the best location in Kristiansand, just a couple of hundred meters from the terminal. We arrived as a rather large group just after midnight, and was very friendly and efficiently checked in by the night receptionist. The reception is located in a rather amazing "room" - the former courtyard - now covered and furnished boutique style.
The only minus by arriving late at many Norwegian hotels - and also here, is that there are no possibility to buy any refreshments at such an hour, except from your own minibar, so we couldn't keep our group together,
I was allocated an ok room facing the courtyard. Be aware that you can not open the window in these rooms, and have to rely on the aircon to keep the temperature down. I prefer "fresh air", but I didn't ask to be moved, as we were just spending a "short" night there.
The breakfast buffet was great, and one of the best I have had at any hotel. When the only "flaw" you can find is, that there were no sausages for the cooked breakfast, well, YOU have a minor problem....
Free wifi is for many a plus, but I still miss free coffee and tea making facilities at most Scandinavian hotels - and I also missed it here.
Well, when I come back to Kristiansand, I'll try an outside room, and trust that my review will be "5-star".

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street if you like a breath of "natural" air instead of aircon...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Helena G, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Hello S-ELinna!
Thank you for your nice review I really appreciate your feedback to us
We are more then happy to welcome you again just contact me before your stay and I will try my best to give you the room you wish for.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I had a very nice stay at the Clarion Hotel Ernst. The service was very lovely and there was a great breakfast buffet. The single room was a bit to small but it was o.k. cause I didn't stay the whole day in my room. The bed is very comfortable so you can sleep well.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Helena G, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Hello ChrisGo666!
Thank you for your nice review to us, we are really happy that you liked our hotel.
We are more then happy to welcome you again.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The hotel looked a little tired and shabby when i pulled up in the taxi. Upon entry though I soon changed my opinion. Well furnished, friendly staff, beautiful staircase, marbled floors, adequate gym, this hotel is a classy establishment.
The rooms are nicely appointed with a pleasant view over the town.
I used the gym in the morning and it served a purpose at best. If you want a cardio work out it is ok but not enough weight machines.
I ate in the restaurant that night as I was a) alone and b) tired.
The food, some kind of soya sauce based stir fry was tasteless and bland. very disappointing and I wish i had ventured out into town.
The breakfast was a different matter though. Plenty of choice and all very tasty.
Not cheap but nothing in Norway is, I will stay here again next time I am in Kristiansand on business.
I recommend you give it a try.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Hello Dave P!
Thank you for your review. I’m happy to hear that you liked our hotel. I’m sorry that your dinner was a disappointment. We take this serious and we will use this to become better in the future.
We are more then happy to welcome you again soon.