“Hotel with history”

Clarion Hotel Ernst
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kristiansand
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Excellent hotel with exceptionally spacious lobby, Cozy pleasant bar. Rooms are small, but impeccably clean. I would hazard to say the hotel provides the best breakfast in town. A little pricey, but not unusual by Norwegian standards. The only reason I did not give the hotel 5 stars is that after a very long flight from New York to Kristiansand by way of Amsterdam is that when we arrived there was no parking left for our rental car and staff advised us on two places to park, both full as well. And, so, we had to wander the town for blocks and blocks until we found a multi-level enclosed parking lot, and then had to lug our bags a long way back to the hotel. A very inauspicious start for two very weary travelers. P.S. You may get a bit of a shock at the price of drinks at the bar - I had a B & B - WOW!

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the lobby, look for a room with outside windows.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Hello!

thabk you for your nice review. we are glad that you liked it here.

we hope to see you soon agian and hopte to be abel to help you with the parking.

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Ernst

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Ernst for a weekend festival and we would definitely come back to this hotel if we were in Kristiansand again.

The first thing you notice when you walk into reception is the distinctive character of the hotel - a modern take on old-style.

This carried on into the rooms, but the quirky character never got in the way of a good functional room. The room was a comfortable size by London standards and had everything you needed for a few night's stay - other than a safe, which is available in reception.

The bathroom only had a shower, but that was fine for us and there was no shortage of hot water from the power-shower.

The breakfast spread is one of the best we've seen in a city hotel, so much variety.

The hotel is in an excellent location. A short walk from the centre of town, from the shore, from the bus-stop for the airport bus, and from all the places we needed to visit for the festival.

Reception staff were helpful with bus times and checking in our return flight.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Helena G, Chef at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Hello!

thank youb for your nice review to us.

we are glad that you lik our hotel and we look forward to welcome you soon again

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a friends birthday and thought it was a beautiful hotel. Full of character but also very modern. The rooms were modern and the breakfast was excellent. The hotel had a great location.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Helena G, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Hello!

thank you very mutch for your nice revew. it mens alot for us.

hope you will come back some day

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had one of the many very small rooms with the window overlooking the internal courtyard. The room was very dark and with al the lights on I still had trouble reading my book. The room layout was strange in that the TV faced the door, so when you sit on the bed, or in the bed you had to turn the TV at least 90 degrees to view.

Breakfast was good. However, there is no coffee making facility in the room, you have to go to reception where you take pot luck if there is any coffee available. On several occasions there was no coffee available.

The hand basin in the bathroom was far too small and with no means of a plug. So, you had to keep the water running to wash and as the sink was so small, you splashed your clothes and soaked your feet! I mentioned the issue about the plug to reception and they said a man would look at the plug issue during that day. After thee days and thee mentions to the reception desk nothing had been done. At that time I was due to check out and all I got was an apology - but no action. This reminded me of my travels in Africa where I carried several plugs, but there was no place to fit a plug!

All in all, not a good experience. This room is typical of an organisation trying to cram too many rooms in the space available. Plenty of show and not enough substance. I travel to Kristiansand on a regular basis and will be returning to the Radisson Blu Caledonian where the service is better and the coffee is always available in the room.

I can't believe this hotel has the best rating in Kristiansand

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank michaelhugganphoto
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear michaelhugganphoto!
I really want to thank you for your review to us I really appreciate that you took the time to write to us about your stay.
I’m sad to read about your experience at Clarion Hotel Ernst. We are very sorry about this. But I Hope you can conceder staying with us one more time so we can give you a better experience and really show you that we care.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

I will highly recommend this hotel in Kristiansand. The hotel chain is owned by the famous Norwegian investor Petter Stordalen, and after a total renovation it looks like a luxury hotel. You will be impressed by desk area, it gives you a "wow"-feeling. The rooms are good enough for me, not very big, but it has all you need. The hotel was quite expensive with kr 1.495 when we visited it, but that was during the tourist season in June.

I found the personell really helpsome. I needed to print out tickets to a consert and they helped me and was smiling. That is important for me when I stay at a hotel. They made us feel really welcome.

Breakfast was included and it was amazing. The selection was good, and they even had a woman making you omelet and waffels.

The location is also great, near a big parking house and also near the ferry dock (where you can travel to Denmark). It gives you walking distance to everything, except the "Kristiansand Dyrepark" (zoo and fun park).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Hello!

thank you for your nice feedback to us we are really happy that you liked it here.

we hope that we can welcome you again, soon

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I recently stayed here for a business trip while visiting Kristiansand. I have previously visited KRS on a number of occasions and stayed at the Hotel Norge once and Radisson Blu on a few occasions.

I was plesently surprised when I arrived at the Clarion Ernst Hotel, it is modern, up to date, clean with friendly staff and excellent breakfast. The gymnasium has a few state of the art treadmills and cross trainers, a weights area and sauna on the Basement floor which I used on a few of the days. Beer and food was good in the bar, although bar area was too quiet for me so I decided to go elsewhere on the remainder of the evenings. Free wireless Internet throughout the hotel.

Overall, I could not complain about anything and the Clarion Ernst will be my only choice when visiting KRS, I just hope they are not fully booked as I will be seriously dissapointed going back to Raddison Blu or Hotel Norge,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Helena G, Manager at Clarion Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Hello!

you are welcome to stay with us agian

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have stayed here a lot for business purpose - and there is a reason why!

The hotel is modern and comfy, with clean rooms and good beds. Just make sure you don't get a room towards the west street outside the hotel during weekends, the karaokebar on the other side of the road might get a little intense.

Clarion Hotel Ernst also has an excellent reception - there is nothing they can't fix! (Even when there is no available space in the car parking and a car must be towed away)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Hello!

Thank you for the nice review. we are really happy to here that you like it here.

hope you will come back soon again