Radisson Blu Caledonien Hotel, Kristiansand
Sjoglott Hotel(Kristiansand)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Q42(Kristiansand)
View Hotel
All reviewspiano barbath tubelarge tvother hotelsclean roomsferriesconference
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Not good or bad. Stayed in a lot better Radisson Blu hotels.. Room is a bit tired.. But it is in a good location.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Having stayed in many Radisson hotels around the world - and generally expecting a business atmosphere - this one is distinctly different and seems to cater more to families. The first 'give away' is that there is a step ladder in front of the check in counter so the kids can follow what is going on at the reception. Since we were there as a family - this was great - as was the rest of our stay, mainly due to the staff who were all smiling, helpful and last but not least professional in every sense of the word. The rooms were big which is an advantage if you are travelling as a family. And that is the nice things that can be said about this hotel - the staff is the reason I actually liked this hotel and would stay here again - since the rest is generally quite terrible.

Lets start with the most obvious - the hotel is completely worn down - the corridors have carpets from when it was built, the bathrooms likewise - the plastic leather surrounding the brownish tiles in the bathroom made me smile, the furniture is mostly worn down with holes in the upholstery, etc. You get the picture. Its nice and clean - but a major refurbishment is in order. Our daughters bed was a mattress thrown on the floor - it worked fine - she was happy, but this is not what you would expect from a Radisson. I suspect it was because the sofa bed was broken.

The aircon didn’t work – but the windows could open all the way. Great for a summer stay as ours was – however maybe not so appropriate in a room with a 7 year old. A not a viable cooling alternative as you will see from below.

On the other side of the street was a very - and I mean very - noisy bar / disco. I sleep like a rock anywhere - but it kept my wife and daughter pretty much awake until 2-3 in the morning. After 2 nights we complained and were without much ado offered another room in the front building - but with a queen bed and a bunk bed. I had to ask 2 or 3 times to make sure I had understood that it was in fact a bunk bed that was described. Sure enough it was indeed a bunk bed - hence the headline of this review. That I can honestly say I have never experienced anywhere in the world in a Radisson - or any other large hotel chain for that matter. It dawned on me that it was probably a much smaller room, which it was. We were also offered a room where we were but in the corner facing the container port instead of the disco. We finally decided to just stay put since we only had 2 nights left.

The breakfast was adequate at best – eggs cold, etc. The breakfast room had been moved to some of the ballroom / meeting rooms and thus the facilities were a little strange. No doubt the hotel was absolutely full with families, presumably visiting the animal park which was also the reason we were there. It all seemed like a temporary solution which up to a point is fine if you can manage it – but it never quite seemed to flow smoothly.

And just to finish the review – I would stay here again even with all the above. I liked the staff and I liked the location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The rooms from the 70´s were a study of architectural history! If you travel alone and have to pay for a double room, you would not expect a room with 3 beds and 2 babies beds and the bath was for disabled. After changing room still a extra bed on the floor so I could not open the window. But you are not in Norway to stay at your room except of sleeping. BUT have ear plugs in your bag - loud music through the night from discos in the same building as the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2011

While it is down by the waterfront in Kristiansand, it is also beside an ugly busy container port. No free parking, and pay parking lot is tiny.
Checkin and restaurant staff we friendly and efficient. Breakfast was excellent.
The rooms.... ugh. They can't have been remodelled in the last two decades. Loud carpets worn furniture. Musty smells every where. Very tired and not up to Radisson standards.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I have stayed several times at the SAS since my last review. Both in the main building and the wing. I still prefer the wing, due to large rooms. A bit of a walk in the long corridors, but worth it. I book through the SAS website. In the weekend you can get a room for 995 NOK. One weekend that price was the cheapest I found in Kristiansand. Yes the hotel is dated, but the beds are good. The breakfast OK.
The Telford Pub is still a quiet and nice pub with mature people. It has CB, Guinness and and Newcastle Brown on tap.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family