“Zoo with much to offer”
Review of Dyreparken

Dyreparken
More attraction details
Owner description: Kristiansand Dyrepark is the number one tourist attraction in Norway, attracting close to 1 million visitors each year. It consists of more than 150 different animal species, entertainment, shows, amusement park as well as a seperate water park called Badelandet.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Kristiansand dyrepark is a fairly large zoo with many different animals and attractions to look at. The park is clean, easily navigated, friendly staff and the animals look happy. In the park you will find the animals one would suspect to find, monkeys, lions, kangaroos, etc.
The park also have different attractions like a big pirate village and ships and more traditional carnival/amusement park games.
In addition to the zoo there is also a water park - extra cost. In the summer time this is nice place to cool down and enjoy the water.
I will be back again!

in 3 reviews
"rare animals"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I really did enjoy ourselves at the zoo, but we both felt like there wasnt as many animals as we'd have liked to see, and for the price (around $50 per person for mid season) it was lacking a bit. Now, we had a very nice day and there is lots of fun play areas for kids, so I think for families with children, its likely worth the price, just needed a bit more to make us feel like it was worth it.

1  Thank Rachel A
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The animals' enclosures are big and the animals healthy and beautiful. They have tigers, lions, monkeys, zebras, giraffes etc. They also have lots of different typical norwegian species like wolfs, gaupe, mountain fox and a really big moose. For the kids there are many fun activities like meeting farm animals, watching the Kaptein Sabeltann show and meet the people of Kardemommeby or the pirates of Kjuttavika. The staff is really friendly and service minded and the park is clean and well kept. :)

I've been there 5 times, and I keep coming back :)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was uncomfortable at this zoo. The animals we saw did not seem well looked after. Given what they did to their kangaroos recently, there is no guarantee that they are.

Scariest were the lions. A handwritten sign taped to the viewing area read (in Norwegian only, rough translation) 'it is difficult to manage a pride of lions in captivity so please don't aggravate them'. This - particularly handwritten, scruffy, little information, unprofessional - information did not inspire confidence. Particularly as one of the lions, a female, was clearly unhappy, pacing back and forth, agitated, and keeping her eye focused entirely on the 3 year old in our party, even when this meant craning her neck. We were being quiet and keeping well back from the glass - but we got out of there pretty quick.

Sadly, I often got this impression when viewing the animals, with only a few exceptions.

The staff were not particularly friendly or helpful (with a couple of exceptions). The price was steep, and we were visiting in the low season when it's at its cheapest (because quite a few attractions are shut).

On the plus side, the kids loved the play areas. Even with many things closed, the kids were happy. But we will not be going back, even though we visit Kristiansand regularly.

2  Thank Kate M
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have been there on several occations, and I never cease to be amazed by how proffesional this whole machinery is. The one thing that is really great about this place, is that I am perfectly sure that the people who deal with the animals are very good at what they do. The animals seem happy , content, and well taken care of.

In addition to animals, there are also several other activities for people. Children will probably love visiting Captain Sabertooth's village, and going for a trip on his ship. Another safe bet is a visit in "Kardemomme By". If you would rather splash around in water, there is also a water park (it costs extra, though) where you can enjoy pools outside and inside.

The only negative thing I might say about this place is that there are too many places that try to get you to buy things, and it is all quite expensive. The food one can buy here is not very good, and is way over priced. The only exception is baby food, which is free. However, one can bring one's own food (thoughI do not think that it is possible to barbeque inside the park).

All in all, it is great value for the money, and I will definitely bring my family here again.

1  Thank verdsvandraren