“Mixed review...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Mixed review...”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Our first night we were given a room with one twin bed for our family (2 adults and 2 children) - with the explanation that they were overbooked due to a large school group, so no other rooms were availabe, and no roll-away beds were available. In addition this room had a ridiculous view 3 meters right into another room window which meaned we had to constantly have the curtains pulled to ensure some privacy. The staff actually checked up on us to see how it was going with the four of us in the small bed, and we kindly urged them to move us the next day. After a couple visits to the front desk the next day, they informed us that a room had opened up which had two beds...we were pleasantly surpised that this new room was a suite with an amazing view of the river!!!!
So, we went from the ultimate worst room in the hotel the the best, so somewhat of a mixed review, but very happy in the end.
Also, the breakfast was amazing, with some nice international options.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank trekking_round

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Had to book a hotel in a hurry for a buisness trip for 3 days - checked Tripadvisor - on the top was this hotel. Booked it after great recommendations here. Was not dissapointed at all - really lived up to the reviews.
The service was great there - the breakfast at the same standard. The room was great. Clean, all necessary accessories.
The breakfast was very nice. A great selection of fresh food and fruits - great juice from bottles on ice - even a little smootie shot was made - topped it with serving coffee at the table and keeping the area clean all the time.

This is a great example of how a hotel should should be ran. The staff were greatful all the time, the cleaning personel said hello and smiled
Had a small issue, but did not want to use time on it - if I would of mentioned it, I am very sure they would have taken care of it.
They stay was overall great and I can recommend it - Next time I have the chance to go to Trondheim, this would be the place to stay.

Room Tip: 539 had a view to the street and to Nidelven. Above the entrance. Nice. One big minus was that the...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Neo67
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for one night. We came in early and hung around at the room. Very Nice room with Great view of the river and the town.
Came back at 2am and I wanted to take a shower. But no can do - there is no hot water available during the night.
The breakfast was great.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Emmmis
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Perfect modern hotel. Ones of the best i visited in norway. Modern, clean and the reception service is perfect. The rooms are perfect, high end quality. Reception is very personal and the breakfast is nice. Close to the all the restaurants

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JessLightning
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This is a very nice hotel, I've stayed here several times. Some of the rooms are a bit small, but the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast is magnificent, lots of options both Norwegian and international varieties. The hotel has a very nice location with walking distance to most sites in Trondheim and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Taking into consideration that this hotel is in the upper price range, there are a couple of details that can improve, for instance the selection of coffee and tea in the room and the quality of the amenities in the bathroom. The hotel restaurant is excellent for dinner, worth a separate review.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MrBanister
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I stayed in the Rica Bakklandet for two nights as a single traveller in February. I had a standard double room, which was adequate size, with a view of predominantly the apartments in the building next door, but also over the rooftops to the cathedral, and of the river.
I was surprised that given the proximity to the apartments, there was no sheer /net curtain over the window, and mentioned this to reception, who offered to show me alternate rooms - around 4 in all. The reception staff were excellent, keen to assist where possible.
The hotel is very well situated, a short walk from the railway station, a little further to the Hurtigruten. The bar and restaurant area are both very nice, and the hotel common areas and my room were both very clean.

Breakfast is an absolute standout - a wide variety of fruits, juices, hot items, cold table items (fish, cheeses, cold meats), and the most delicious smoothie shots and home made fruit cordials. The food was all fresh, and replenished throughout the breakfast service, even close to the end. Staff circulated regularly offering tea and coffee.

I also ate dinner one night in the restaurant, which was excellent, however I will review separately to this hotel review.
I should note that on Sunday there is no restaurant or room service available for dinner - the lovely reception staff offered me some cereal which was being set out for breakfast next day, and were most apologetic. There are a couple of small supermarkets almost behind the hotel however, and for essentials one is open Sunday evening.

Best bits

The location
The bed was super-comfy, and I had additional pillows brought to my room
Fancy air con / heating - when you open the window the air con shuts off which is very clever (no idea how it knows!)
Good blinds to block sunlight - I'm sure this is essential in summer
Breakfast - I could have stayed a long time!
The lovely staff

Areas that could be improved

The room service menu is all quite full-on meals - a few more snack items would be nice
When I requested additional pillows they arrived in my room as just pillows - no protectors or pillow cases! I had to swap the cases from some others which seemed a bit odd.
The room I was in had a strange little open wardrobe setup - this meant I woke up looking at an ironing board. A door might be nice here.

I'd recommend this hotel to others travelling to Trondheim.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank claire_fowler
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Everything was lovely! The breakfast especially was fantastic with Norwegian cuisine as well as some traditional British and North American favourites. Instead of waiting for a waitress to come around with coffee I recommend finding one as soon as you come in for breakfast and asking for a speacialty coffee which they will happily bring you for free.

There were quite a few nice touches such as a welcome chocolate in the room, and a pillow menu. The reception staff was also great and we were able to check out late with no extra charge (although I expect this is dependent on how busy they are). It was extremely quiet and we slept very well.

Room Tip: Our room had no view whatsoever but it was extremely quiet, so I don't think you can get a bad r...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple