“Lovely views, fabulous breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles

Scandic Bakklandet
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely views, fabulous breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Trondheim was our first stay in Norway last February. The Rica Bakklandet was a great place to start out. The hotel was comfortable, and the views from our room were gorgeous. The location was excellent, allowing us to walk everywhere, and the staff helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet was absolutely amazing, and we couldn't help trying everything, resulting in our not needing to eat again until evening, which was a decided advantage, given Norway prices. Every Rica hotel we stayed in outshone the other hotels we tried in Norway--worth the cost.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Caen, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I've been staying at the rica hostel just one night.

The room was really clean and comfortable, the diner was excellent and the break first awesome (only home made stuff) !

The staff is really nice, friendly and helpful.

Best place I've been in Norway during my two weeks trip. It's a bit expensive, but it worth it.

Stayed June 2014
Mane, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Well located in the center of Trondheim, close to harbour restaurant area.
Friendly and smily staff.
Excellent breakfast buffet.
Good seminar facilities.
Not an incredibly gorgeous hotel, but a nice location to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Huntington Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I arrived here late due to some changes in my morning drive schedule. I was quite tired and I knew my Norwegian would suffer in conversation. No worries. My reserved room was issued to me quite efficiently and professionally by the front staff whose command of RP English would make a BBC announcer proud. The staff would always acknowledge me when I entered or exited the hotel and at one point even went on line to help me find the drop off point for my vehicle.

The room was absolutely clean and well - designed with a window view of the bay and the dock area. Wonderful shower and bath area. But what really sets this hotel apart and will guarantee that I ensure I come back is the breakfast.

I could write a very large paragraph describing all the items available - fresh fruits and juices, local specialties and other European delicacies. Smoked fish, smoked meats, wonderful cheese, eggs many ways, pancakes, waffles, muesli, cereals, stellar coffee, and yogurts and sweets round out the offerings. I know I am missing things. Some things I probably didn't even see. I was there for three breakfasts and I was hard pressed to try everything AND enjoy items I wanted again. The sheer volume of choices - all of top quality - was staggering. It is served - mostly - buffet style although some of the items (like eggs and pancakes) can be made to order. Coffee, tea, and table service are formal with near German-like efficiency. I would wish I had not so many plans for the day so that I could sit and linger at breakfast. The breakfast area can be a bit crowded. (I guess I did write a long paragraph!)

The only complaint has been registered and it is a very common one and not unique to this hotel. Parking is expensive. But it is easy to access - given the one way nature of the streets - and I felt the vehicle was very safe.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank HBSponger
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed two nights with my teenage son, who was on his way to a CISV Camp in Trondheim. We loved the peaceful room, great shower, and delicious breakfast - homemade jam, freshly squeezed orange juice (so nice after travelling), excellent bread and smoked fish selection - it combined the traditional breakfast options with a lovely range of new things to try too. We also enjoyed dinner - fantastic chicken and steak, served by the charming and happy Theresa, who greeted us at breakfast and dinner with a warm and friendly smile. She went out of her way to make us feel at home. I agree with other reviews - great location, and easy to get to the airport with a bus stop right outside the front door of the hotel! But it is the people who make a place, and this one was really great - thank you very much! We had a lovely time.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor - nice and quiet away from street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is modern, clean and is placed in a very nice location with a connected garage. The garage is quite expensive (175 NOK/24 H) but makes a clean and safe impression; compared to other hotels I visited in Trondheim it' s a real plus, especially when you carry a lot of luggage with you. The hotel staff is generally friendly, professional and helpful. The room was large and the bathroom superb. In the wardrobe almost all space was taken up by an iron board. When taking out the iron board, the iron almost dropped on my feet. Apparently it was not properly fixed. Also, there were no cabinets. This all would still have given five stars in my rating. However, the breakfast area turned out to be far too small, forcing me to eat in the lobby. Also, the staff did not manage to restock food. When I arrive for breakfast at 7:20, this is not what I expect and leads to a substracted star. Worst, the room lock failed. The first day it locked as one would expect when shutting the door. The second day the door would either not lock at all or lock first and a few seconds later unlock again. This erratic lock behavior left me wondering if my luggage would be safe in my room whenever I was out. This must not happen and leads to one more substracted star. When I explained the lock problem to the receptionist, I was told this was a fire safety feature and that the door would lock after one minute. If this was the case, why did the door lock directly on the first day and why was there no information about this? The receptionist gave me no answer and obviously my concerns were not taken seriously. Sorry, but here goes the third star. Concerning fire safety, this is the first hotel where I couldn't see a fire exit plan and emergency instructions visible, usually posted at the hotel room door, but since I don't know if this is mandatory in Norway, it didn't influence my rating. For the room prices, I would have expected more.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alexander I
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights, and we had a lovely experience.
The check-in and check-out were very efficient. The personnel were friendly and informative. The room was clean and fresh, and the breakfast was great.
The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's just close to good restaurants and main attractions in Trondheim.

Room Tip: Ask the reception for a room with a better view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends