“Tex-Mex, Not Mex. But Good.”
Review of Frida

Frida
Ranked #5 of 268 Restaurants in Trondheim
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Huntington Beach
“Tex-Mex, Not Mex. But Good.”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The menu offerings here a very limited. They are also, despite the marketing of the restaurant, not strictly Mexican. The menu is loosely Tex-Mex. Fajitas are squarely in the Tex-Mex camp and take up the majority of the menu. The other offerings are loosely based on Mexican offerings, much like the entree I ordered - Chiles Rellenos.

Well, I had never spent 55 dollars for a plate of Chiles Rellenos and a beer. But those are the prices in northern Norway. Also, these chilies weren't stuffed. That's what rellenos means. The chilis were grilled with the meat mixture laying on top of them. They were also served with a variety of three very non-traditional salsas, including peach. All three very good. As were the rellenos. Despite the unauthentic nature, I enjoyed the food very much.

As has been mentioned in other posts, the place is very dark. I had trouble getting any photos even with a flash. Only two other tables being served the night I was there. And the beer selection is awful (Corona and Sol) and expensive. But I recommend the Sol and I do recommend this place. I will probably find myself back here during my next visit.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank HBSponger

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Trondheim, Norway
“Impressive atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I must admit that I compare every Mexican restaurant with Gabriel's in New Mexico, and most of the time Gabriel wins. My girlfriend loves this place so today I decided to join her for dinner at Frida. The first thing that impressed me was the the atmosphere of the place. The decorations makes the place very Mexican, even down to details like the sink in the bathroom. I did not study the meny because I found a ribeye listing right away that I could not resist: The devil's ribeye (hot!) was a quality piece of meat, medium as ordered, but not spicy enough for a hot! tag. I did not that ruin my meal and enjoyed the meat served with mashed potatoes and fresh tomatoes. My girlfriend loved her fajitas as usual. Service was excellent.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank taarhaug
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“One of best Mexican food I had.”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

First a disclaimer: I haven't yet been to the Mexico, but I have been to quite few good Mexican restaurants across the globe.

The biggest downside of the restaurants are the prices. I did not yet get a grip on Norwegian prices, but I guess they are above the average here in Frida.

On the other hand the food was fantastic. I had Sopa Azteca and Carne asada a la Mexicana. Especially the main dish was really good. Soft and tender meat that just melts in the mouth with a mixed green salad, pees and tortillas. With the main dish came three sauces. While one was mayo-based (a no no for me), the second was quite hot but tasty (some kind of tomato based sauce), the third was just perfect - a mango, onion based sauce that made my meal even better.

Service is great with kind waitresses and good execution.

Even though it was not cheap it was wort the price.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank CirilB
Norway
“Very good food”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant is in central Trondheim. A cosy place in the basement.
One mexican restaurant called "Grønn Pepper" is situated just some billings away from Frida.
Frida is more expensive, but has better food , and better service.

• Visited May 2014
Trondheim, Norway
“Great mexican food!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Have been to Frida in Trondheim twice, and was very pleased both times! Good authentic mexican food. Had the Plato Frida y Diego last time, can really reccomend it!

• Visited May 2014