“Atmosphehre, charm and relaxing!”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Oslo, Norway
“Atmosphehre, charm and relaxing!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Hotel Bakeriet is not a luxury hotel. But what you loose in luxury, you get back in atmosphere and charm. This hotel is an relaxing oases right in the middle of the city, situated in a side street, with very little traffic. There are some bars and restaurants near by, and in the night you might hear some people shouting, but not at all disturbing. It is possible to sleep with an open window, if you want to. There is car-parking in the basement, not expensive compared to other parking in Norway. The rooms could need some painting and refurbish, but they are clean. The hotel itself is an old bakery, and in the breakfast hall you can see a lot of memories from the past, including an old bakery oven. The glass roof makes it bright and nice.The breakfast itself is not special, but gives you all you need with eggs and serials and nice bread. The people working in this hotel are very nice and smiling, and the reception staff are characterized with a very high service level, and always with a smile. In the afternoon you can make your own waffles for free, and in the evening there is some food available until nine, if you get hungry. This is also for free, one out of many things that make this hotel special. If you are looking for a modern hotel in glass and steel, go somewhere else. But if you are looking for a hotel that gives you peace and relax, and make you fell like home, this is the perfect place. You should try it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up, and you can sleep with an open window.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oslo_NorwayKnut
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Hello Oslo_NorwayKnut!

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor - it was a great pleasure to read your review this morning, and it is great to see that out focus on service and cleaning has paid off.

I agree that some of the rooms are in need of some paint, and assure you that this is an ongoing project here at our hotel, so hopefully we will be able to freshen our product even more.

As you say so good - if you are looking for glass and steel hotels try something else, but if you like a cosy hotel trying to give personal and relaxed service - then we are your choice.

Thank you again for giving us constructive feedback - it is feedback such as this that tells us what we do right, and what we need to focus on in order to become even better.
We look forward to seeing you again here at Clarion Collection Bakeriet in atmospheric Trondheim.

Ronny R. Reithe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is not a traditional hotel in the sense with a bar and restaurant , but have more of "beeing home" atmosphere where you have to do things yourself.
Frontdesk is the heart of the operation --they have the information ---they have the bar and they have the very serviceminded attitude. Information is beeing given to you and all additional questions beeing answerd as best they can, which is very good.
Breakfast is a buffet where you have to fry your own eggs. The boiled ones are in place together with everything else you need. I have seen better breakfast buffets , but this one is more than good enough with a very nice staff cleaning tables and keeping it up. The breakfast area is nice and light with windovs as a roof.
I have two personal standards for the room I am staying in for me to like it --good bed and good shower . Both gets top score from me. Cleaning staff for the rooms doing a great job (I stayed for 6 nights in single beroom with a single and a half bed) and I came back every day to nice and tidy and clean room.
From 1500 to 1800 you could make your own waffeles in the breakfast area. There were newspapers in the morning.
The hotel is situated centrally in the center of the town. There is also food in the afternoon and evening ,but this was a service I did not use, but I believe all meals in the hotel are complimentary.
If you like luxury this may not be the place for you ,but if you like a "homy" informal atmosphere with eceptional service and a central location this may be it.
This is a hotel I will visit again.

Room Tip: I had a single room which I was satisfied with.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Hello Lloyd Ragnar B,

It is with great pleasure we read your review of our hotel - the things you choose to highlight are some of the things that are important to us. And we are pleased to see that all our staff are welcoming - we hold our attitude in high regard, and always aim to please. We are as you say, not the fanciest hotel around, but we try to deliver a close and personal experience to all our guests. And as you say - all meals are included - so next time try our evening buffét as well as the waffles.

Thank you for taking the time to review us - we are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, and feedback such as yours give us a valuable "pat on the back" - stating we are on the right track! And we look forward to seeing you again here in the fantastic city of Trondheim.

St. Marys, Georgia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We wanted a quiet hotel with parking and this seemed to be a good choice. Our room overlooked an alley, but it was quiet and fairly dark at night. It was a bit confusing to get to the parking garage, but plenty of spaces were available. This was the 2nd Clarion stay for our 1 week trip to Norway and found that they are a good value (all is relative for an American traveling to Norway getting a huge case of sticker shock). I loved the 24hr coffee service and afternoon waffles were a real treat. Dinner was a little skimpy compared to our experience in Oslo, but still plenty for us to eat. Easy walk from hotel to the shops and restaurants in the port area and old town.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Hello PeggyS55,

I was delighted to read your review of your recent stay at the Bakeriet hotel. It is nice to see that you enjoyed both the coffee and the waffles! When it comes to the evening meals I promise you that we are working on some exciting new concepts that will improve the evening meal even more to fit the standards of Clarion Collection and I hope to impress you when you come back to our sentrally located hotel.
I perfectly understand the parking can be somewhat difficult to find, and we have specially made maps that show the route around the hotel easily described. I will check tomorrow if we have the maps available at the front desk.

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor - it is essential for our work in always improving our product.

Tromso, Norway
Reviewed 17 June 2013

2 days and one night at Clarion Collection Bakeriet hotel in Trondheim was a great experience. Nice and clean room for 3 persons (number 330), normal Norwegian breakfast, waffel and some fruit between 15:00-17:00 (?) was great as we were really tired and hungry by arrival. Even evening meal was included in price. Safe garage in basement to a reasonible price ( NOK 200) and extra charge for breakfast for my visiting daughter was ok (NOK 115,-). All staff were helpful and nice. A bit draft in breakfast room from air condition (I brought with me my scarf). I'll be back!

Room Tip: 330 was a good experience
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Gulla J.

We were delighted to read the excellent review you have given us here at Bakeriet. I am the new General Manager for Bakeriet (starting this month), and I must thank you for taking the time to write your review. It tells me that the employees here do their best to deliver the promises of Clarion Collection and Bakeriet, and I feel proud to be a part of this hotel.

Have a fantastic summer, and we hope to see you again here at Bakeriet soon,

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 14 May 2013

A Norwegian cousin recommended this hotel. It is an easy 5 minute walk from the train station. We were greeted by cheerful staff who announced waffles with fresh cream and strawberry jam were just being served at 3p... Nice surprise. Followed by information on the sauna (co-ed, with a window to look on on the city!), a nice workout room, a free self-laundry service, plus breakfast AND dinner provided. Rooms were good. Place was clean and quiet. Staff were helpful. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M W
Mane, France
Reviewed 27 April 2013

3 nights in April, room 501.
Tired of the international 5 stars hotels, I have to say I pretty much enjoyed my stay at the 'bakery'.
I found the front desk girls not only nice to look at, but also very helpful and friendly.
It's an old building and it shows, main close was a bit hard to close, wooden floor below the carpet was cracking like in my grandma home and I was coming home late... But that also has it's charm.
Was I really don't like is the light shower curtain which, as always, moves towards you when you shower, it's really not complication to put some weights on the lower part to avoid this to happen !!!
Breakfast is... Scandinavian, I made my two fried eggs on the pancake plate, funny, but why not ?
Complementary diner... Scandinavian, starts at 6:00 until 9:00.
They have a bike they can lend/rent (I didn't ask), and umbrella to lend, which is somehow useful there. I understand also that they have a collection of DVD you may borrow.
So, not the best hotel in the world, and coming from Asia this is quite a change, but friendly and ok.

Room Tip: Try the high rooms 5th or 6th floor and in the back to avoid street noise on Week Ends. Got the 501...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I made a booking 1 month ago, first i arrived at the hotel 2 pm , was meet buy a rude lady in the reception told me to early for check inn had to come back later. 3.30 PM i tried again, a new reception lady told me the hotel was full, could not give the room i asked for and promised inn booking. The was helped to get a room by the manager he was ok. The room had a stranged old smell, like old smoke i had allergy but anyway survieved the night. It was a big hole in the wall in the room, everthing look old, worn down, the shower cabin door was broken. Noisy all nigh innside and outside.The food brekfast was 1 star only good thing well the coffe.

Room Tip: take other hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business