“A little gem really”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Oxford
“A little gem really”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a place full of surprises. A welcome reception area, a decent eating area and sitting rooms. Bedrooms were fine, perhaps a touch basic and ours was a little musty but nothing an open widow didn't sort quite quickly. Bathrooms do need some attention although this is mainly on the decorative side although hot water can be intermittent at 'rush hours'.
The bonus side of this hotel is the readily available tea and decent coffee at all hours, an excellent breakfast buffet and evening buffet with a single hot meal option; a washing room equipped with washing machine, tumble drier, iron and ironing board; a small gym area and a lovely roof terrace. There is even an upstairs sitting room for a change of venue should you not be able to get out. Nicest touch was the facility to make yourself a waffle at tea time - delicious. Would recommend this hotel as a relaxing homely place to stay and Trondheim is certainly worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Hello iammeOxford,

We were delighted to read about your stay here with us at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet. We are not the most modern hotel in the city, but located in the middle of the city centre, providing complimentary waffles and evening meals we are glad you enjoyed the stay.

And we always strive to do our best in providing all our guests with a homely and cosy atmosphere - and we are so glad that our focus on this cam through on your last visit.

We hope to see you again here soon in the beautiful city of Trondheim, and wish you an excellent autumn.

Ronny Reithe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
Norrkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Charming Hotel in the middle of Trondheim. Good service, parking garage under the hotel. Evening buffe with both some cold and warm food for free. Even afternoon coffe included in price. The breakfast is excellent.

Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Hello Icao,

We are delighted to see your review of our charming hotel in the city centre.
To see that we delivered in all food.areas during your stay was great - we try to cater for all needs, and most of the time we succeed. Our complimentary evening meals, waffles, coffe and tea are some of the things we are known for - and we try to make these the best we can.

We really hope too see you again in beautiful Trondheim, and of course here at Bakeriet in the nead future.

Ronny R. Reithe,
CLarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet
Oslo
Reviewed 28 July 2014

It is homey, it is cozy. Even the not so up-to-date interior adds to the experience of an establishment that cares more about people than wallpapers. I'm not saying I prefer a worn interior, but excellent service is more important, and a not to sterile environment makes me feel at home.
The access to the garage from the lobby is the best I've ever seen.

• Stayed July 2014
Hello HanJanO,

Homey - cozy, excactly the words we like to use when describing ourselves. And I am so glad that we succeded in making you stay with us a memorable one. Service, hospitality and feeling are things we work hard to deliver every day - to all those good folk visiting us.
For travellers spending a lot fo time away from home we feel that it is important to make you feel relaxed, and at home - even if staying at distant places.

We look forward to seeing you here again in the future, and wish you an excellent autumn,

Valdagno, Italy
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel near the railway central station and the city center; little but pretty room; very good breakfast, pancakes in the afternoon and evening meal; a good place to start visiting Trondheim in a quiet zone

Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Hello Maria L.

Excellent to read that our pancakes/waffles, and the evening meal was to your liking, and I am so glad tha hear that the breakfast was very good. This is something we try to work on every day - and I am so glad we delivered as expected during your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again here at Bakeriet, and in sunny Trondheim,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

On approaching from the railway station we were not at all impressed with the graffiti on the hotel walls or the weeds growing out of the pavement where it met the walls. We had booked a queen room and were disappointed to find it very small. The double bed was very small as well. The decor was grubby. On going into the restaurant for the buffet dinner at 19.40 we found that the soup had run out. The buffet was advertised as being available from 18.00 until 21.00 so I asked the girl the girl doing the catering if there would be any more soup. She said that there would not be. Shortly afterwards the chocolate mousse dessert ran out so there was no dessert either. Were we in Norway or Albania? The next morning we found that the door to our room could be opened after we had closed it to go out. The chambermaid and her colleague could not get it secure either so we complained to the reception and arranged a change to a twin room, which had more space, on our return. At least they had put a place of fruit in the room - presumably by way of an apology. The new room was an attic type with sloping ceilings but this time it was not grubby and were were better off in it than on our first night: it was not what we had booked, though. The food on the second and third nights did not run out but then we made sure that we got there in good time...we should not have had to. The same dessert appeared every night: a change would have been welcome. The hotel was in a good central location for exploring Trondheim and the staff were mostly friendly enough. We returned there to have an evening meal (one last chocolate mousse thingy) and a place to sit a few days later when we were passing through Tondheim again and catching the sleeper train to Oslo. It was an economical way to cover a need. The breakfasts were good.

Room Tip: The other Clarion Collection hotel next door might be better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello zufuss,

I am thankful for you honest feedback regarding your stay at our hotel, even if I am very sorry for some of the things you encountered whilst staying here.

I can assure you that all weeds have been thouroughly removed, and I am waiting for the graffiti to be removed as we speak. This is a city-centre problem, and it seems everey time I ave the exterior repainted it keeps coming back.

I am so sorry that you had a poor experience on the first night of your complimentary evening meal - I have discussed this with the staff on hand, and the Chef, and I believe we have in place routines that now prevents this from happening again. I am however very sad for the answers that you got from our staff, and will follow this up promptly - as this is not the way we are to answer constructive questions from our guests.

I have checked the room you stayed in and the lock works fine, but there is a time-delay after leaving due to Norwegian fire-regulations that keeps the door open for 30-60 seconds - if you do not use your key-card. I am sorry we were unable to explain this adequately during your stay, and I will make sure everyone understands how this works for future questions.

I am glad too see that the room-change was expedited swiftly, and that you were happoy with the new rooms, as well as the breakfasts.

Based on you feedback I will make sure to follow up on the pressing matters, and of course also highlight the positive sides to our employees.

We really hope to see you again here at hotel, in order to present the side we strive to show all our guests all the time.

norway
Reviewed 11 July 2014

After walking past this hotel and seeing the pretty exterior many times we decided the book for our bi-annual trip into Trondheim, I also liked the idea of it being an old bakery.
We had pre booked a quiet room and arrived to be given the key to 513, possibly the smallest bed I have seen being offered as a double, the walls were grubby and the ceiling looked like some kind of water damage had left nicotine drop stains all over it.
We did not unpack but called reception and asked if another room with a full size double bed and less grubby decor was available, the receptionist wanted to charge an upgrade fee but changed her mind and offered us room 202.
This proved to contain 2 single beds pushed together, ok so more room at least, the bathroom had missing a plate to cover exposed wiring to the heated towel rail, the walls and door were in desperate need of a repaint, one of the beds had a lump of wood hanging down under it with 2 screws sticking up, and the curtains had holes in them.
Upon returning to our room that evening we no longer had access though, and had to go back to reception and ask for our cards to be re keyed, it was done but no offer of an apology was forthcoming
The towels were clean and fluffy though, and I nursed high hopes for an exemplary breakfast. I was underwhelmed, the breakfast was adequate although the dining room itself was lovely.

Hello ghani,

We are so glad that you took the time to write a review of our hotel, even if we are sad to see that your experience was much less than we usually deliver, and I really hope n the future to show you the side of Bakeriet we are usually known to show.

The major points of your review point to the need of upgrading the hotel, as I quite agree with. The hotel needs some renewing in order to excel like it has done for so many years, and I have high hopes that we in the near future will undertake e full renewing of the hotel. The double beds at our hotel are 140 cm wide, which for many may seem small, but is quite usual in Norway. I have made a note of this, and in the case of a renewal of the hotel - I will make sure we evalutate the bed-sizes. We continually try to maintain and repair the hotels interior as well as the exterior, and I have made a note to work over the first room you got on arrival to us. I am glad you got the requested room-change, ans our twin-bed-rooms are larger than the queen-sized rooms. I am also glad that the front desk offered this cost-free to make sure your experience was a good one. I will however follow up on the way this was offered in order to sharpen our service-attitude. '

I do hope that we in the future may welcome you to a better version of ourselves - the one we sould like all travellers to see all the time, and we are grateful for your constructive feedback,

Verdal, Norway
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Hotel Bakeriet is a central and cozy hotel, which puts the guest in mind. With nice rooms, service minded staff and amazing good waffles and soup for supper included in the hotel price, this is a hotel I recommend highly. Dogs are also welcome. :-)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hei Anne Kari,

We are so delighted to hear your opinion about your recent stay here with us. The things you mention are things we strive to do our best at every day, and I am so happy when we deliver escactly as we should. The waffles are maybe one of our top selling points - nothing beats a good waffle :-).

And of course, we are more than happy to welcome dogs and other animals as guests here at our hotel - I know it can be difficult to find good hotels that offer accomodation to those with pets.

We look forward to greeting you here at our cosy hotel in the future, and wish you the best summer,