“Very small room”

Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Albany, Australia
“Very small room”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We booked a standard queen room. Although we were offered the opportunity to upgrade for 50.00 GBP per night, we declined. Our room that was supposed to be a queen room was a double bed. Very small. No tea and coffee making facilities. We had to telephone down to reception as only 1 towel had been left in the room and we were 2 guests.
The usual breakfast was fantastic!! Absolutely amazing choice. But on our last day we had to depart at 7.00 and breakfast started at 7.00. We were offered early breakfast in the bar - it was terrible. Not even milk for a coffee or tea, no sugar. dry bread with a slice of cheese or meat. Very poor. It would not have taken much effort to put out a few more things 15 minutes early especially as we had notified that we would be leaving just before 7.00am.
Our room was the biggest let down for the money we paid. It was so small there was not enough room to open my suitcase on the floor. I had to store my case underneath the bed. The room was also very old. The bathroom had pain peeling and a cracked glass in the window. Very poor experience of the room.

Room Tip: Pay the extra if you can afford it. The standard room sucks!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

1 Thank Emilyjayne6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Me and my sister stayed at the hotel for one night as a birthdaypresent from me to her. The staff at the hotel was charming and Nice, the spa was excellent and the breakfast was Perfect! Next year we are planning to gather all the Girls in Our families for a Girls weekend at this hotel, and I`m already looking forward to it :)
And my sister thought this was the perfect gift!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Castlebellingham
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My Partner and I stayed for a week as having visited the hotel many times I was curious. Norway seems to understand charging top prices but not delivering on it. Everyone makes excuses about high government taxes (25%) but it still does not excuse the very high pricing. Same meals eaten here were eaten in nearby Are in Sweden for less than half the price and we got much more. You arrive and there is not a bellhop service so you lug your own luggage. We arrived after 10PM and the clues were there as a walk though the lounge and othr public rooms showed dirty glasses and cups and in the smoking area grossly over filled ashtrays. Staff through out our stay seem to just walk off the job. We booked a room on the internet and ended at the very top of the old wing with no lifts for last storey (later found a service lift for the staff forbidden to guests) . Breakfast when you ask where glasses are for the pouring yoghurt from staff they don t get you glass they tell you where you can walk 100 meters to find one. The room on the first night was small and freezing (it was February) as central heating wasn t working. next night we moved but kept seeing examples of cheap cheap cheap expenditure in the hotel renovation. In the spa, the jacuzzi had no controls and it was each night inhabited by drunken people from the conferences in the water in their underwear , we left after seeing bits of skin floating in the spa water. SO SO disappointed in a wonderful old building that is simply a neglected a bed factory with staff that do not seem to care that has all the ambience of a salvation army hostel. Maybe it is Norway but the staff seem lazy, disinterested , no sign of management motivating them yet this place charges top dollar and gives from basic to no service.Will not be going back. To cap it on the last day the locks jammed locking my partner in her room, the staff seemed use to the scenario and when masterkeys did not work a chef came with a crowbar to break the door at the lock something they seemed to know how to do.

Room Tip: dont find another hotwel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ingles en Espana
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed in the Brittania Hotel in Trondheim for a one night stay while attending a conference. The hotel itself is a lovely building that is quite impacting when you first see it from outside, lovely architecture. The Check-in on arrival was very friendly, professional and gave me all the details I required for my stay. The room was warm, the bed very comfortable, and the shower was amazing.....and it was nice to have a mini bar in the room.

I had a nice burger in the bar where the service was once again very good, and even though there was a Gala Dinner happening in the hotel, the food in the bar was still served in a very timely manner.

The breakfast the following morning was delicious. I was told it was apparently the best breakfast in Trondheim......it would be hard for me to argue against this based on the breakfast I had. It was delicious, lots of variety, fresh and the service was great.

As I was attending a conference in the hotel, i also managed to experience the lunch in the hotel which was also very tasty with huge variety. Well done to the management at the Thon hotel, a lovely hotel, in a very interesting city.....hopefully some time in the future I can come back for leisure and enjoy a longer stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ThonBritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Scrimch,

Thank you so must for taking the time to give us such a great feedback referring to your stay at Britannia Hotel in Trondheim.
It is really pleasant for us to see that you appreciate good service and comfort.
It is also a great pleasure to read that you refer to our breakfast and lunch as delicious. You appreciate elements we think its important for many guests.
Thank you so much again for your nice feedback and welcome back to Britannia Hotel

Sincerely
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Do not be fooled by the stars this hotel claims to have. It is an old, unpleasant and horrible place to stay. The staff, especially at the reception is grumpy and not in any kind of helpful mood. We stayed for almost a week, and even after several days they could not say "hello" or "good evening" when passing. The spa is ok. But most of the offers doesn't work. Not the footbath, not the steamrooms and not the cold "pool". The only thing we could use was the "mineral bath"..
We had quite a big room, connecting 713/715, these rooms are so old and reeks of sigarets. When we told them downstairs that our room smelled, they just shrugged and said "it's because the room downstairs is a smoking room". We thought the No smoking rule was for everyone. But obviously not for Britannia. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The breakfast is ok, but it does not weigh up for bad, bad, bad service and sigaretsmelling, old, rooms. I will never go back.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel! For instance "Rica Bakklandet"
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Whatimean
ThonBritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Whatimean,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some very important feedback. Needless to say I am sorry to hear that you experienced lack of customer service at our hotel. We always aspire to give our customers the highest standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our hotel.
I would appreciate if you would give us another chance, as this was not representative of our standards. We hope that you will return to our hotel and do not hesitate to contact me directly if you choose so. We would really appreciate if you give us the chance to make a better impression of our customer service.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel in November 2013. I have visited Britannia a great number of times over the years and have experienced different qualities with different owners/operators.
Britannia is now a Thon-hotel which seems to have had a positive effect on service levels and also particularly on the breakfast quality, where they seem to copy another Trondheim hotel Rica Nidelven which is reputed for "the best hotel breakfast in Norway". The result of this competition is definitely to the benefit of the Britannia guests - but still well behind Rica Nidelven!
The building constructions are old which is most evident when looking at the fire evacuation charts and also navigating the corridors to find your room and/or your conference venue ...
My bedside table was dusty and with parts of a plastic bottle capsule ...
I tend to give the tradition values higher marks than the hospitality values in general ...

Room Tip: Get a room in convenient distance to an identified fire escape ...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Olav Egil S
ThonBritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Olaves,

First of all I would like to thank you for being so loyal to us throughout the years and also for giving us very important feedback.
I am happy to see that you enjoyed our breakfast, which has been one of several priorities. It is a pleasure for us to be one of the Thon hotels now and we are looking forward to see how this will only strengthen our product and hospitality.
Thank you so much again for your feedback and welcome back to our hotel.

Mo i Rana, Norway
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 days while attending some meetings and a conference at the hotel,
The conference facilities are great and spacious with a touch of class. They serve the best coffee I have tasted at any conference facility I have attended. The breakfast and lunch buffet is exquisite. You cannot ask for more. There is even a sushi stand where the food is made by a chef while you are waiting. The room I got was spacious and clean.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelingT63
ThonBritannia, Manager at Britannia Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Traveling T63,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a nice feedback.
It is very pleasant for us to hear that you really enjoyed your stay.

Welcome back to the Britannia Hotel.

Svein Martin Berg Krogstad