“A Scottish pub on the ground floor - who could ask for more?”

Thon Hotel Gildevangen
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Fairfax, Virginia
“A Scottish pub on the ground floor - who could ask for more?”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The Thon Hotel chain in Norway is pretty straightforward - clean (smallish) rooms, central locations, friendly staff, decent breakfasts (they even provide umbrellas for guests). But this hotel's main attraction was that it was only 300m from the train station, so it was an easy walk even with a good bit of luggage, and then, wonder of wonders, there was a Scottish pub attached to it. Both the hotel and pub are housed in a turn of the 20th-century building, so it was even aesthetically pleasing (Thon Hotel architecture usually tends to be a bit bland) but the pub really made our stay - my husband and I spent both evenings we were in Trondheim sitting in a friendly corner, playing pub games (we brought our own), drinking expensive beer and whisky (but not any more so than any alcohol is in Norway), and just thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere. The hotel is within easy walking distance of all the major sites in Trondheim too (Nidaros Cathedral, the Stiftsgarden Palace etc.).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Booked on this website 3 months in advance for a room for 3 adults.It worked out to be about $345.00 US per night ,very small room and an even smaller bathroom! When I looked again online a month later,the exact same room was $110.00 LESS! I called the hotel and they refered me to their booking department in Oslo,tried 5 times to contact them,no luck.When I actually arrived in country I called the booking department and spoke with a lady who was very unsympathetic,said basically,too bad we will not reduce the rate.I was shocked but she said I was stuck with the high price and even though the price had dropped,they would NOT honor the new,lower price.save yourself a ton of money,everything in Norway is tremendously overpriced,don't bother,especially with this hotel chain.Staff was wonderful,breakfast was very good,everything else gets an "F".

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kiwileeds4444
Deventer, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Very good breakfast (fresh bread). But better get the coffee downstairs at the reception...
There is some noise after closing of the bars (02.30), but that's what you can expect in a city centre. There are many bars and disco's on the same street as the hotel.
I stayed a couple of weeks in a very small single room wthout a wardrobe (as no place for it). Double rooms were not available due to summer holidays.
The reception looked very nice and clean, however on the floor I stayed all doors were scratched like dogs wanted to go in, insde of the doors were covered with shoe polish.
Cleaning is done fairly, no daily vacuum cleaning and bed often made very poorly. Also often forgot to put a new towel for replacement (but took the old one away), and to fill up minibar (so possibly double charged).
If on one of the higher floors somebody flushed the toilet, it looks like you'r somewhere near the Niagara falls.
If this is 'city centre comfort' I am not interested to find out what their 'budget' chain looks like. It's quite ok to stay for some nights if you're not too demanding, and want to check out night life. But there are many more hotels in the city center I would try first in future.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Tromsø
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Doe to the volcano I had to spend the night in Trondheim.
Close to the train and bus station. Nice.
Close to the bars and discotheques. Bad. Was not able to sleep before 4.30 in the morning.

Ordered a twin room, got a small singe room.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Lancashire
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Booked in to stay 4 nights. Receptionist very nice and helpful. Dining room and breakfast buffet superb. Room a little dated. Renovation work going on in other bedrooms, with debris spilled on the corridor floor. Unfortunately, a street adjacent to the hotel on the side our room (203) was located contained 5 bars and the hoise from 8.00 pm until 3.00 am was terrible. We could not sleep a wink for dozens of drunken yobs shouting and screaming outside. There were no rooms available elsewhere in the hotel so the next morning we moved to another hotel overlooking a small park and very quiet!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank barleydale
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Arriving at the hotel by car was not at all easy. My GPS got me to the hotel, but the adress found in the yellow pages was not to the street where the reception entrance was, but to another street were stopping was not at all adviceable.. Getting to the right street was not easy because of many one way streets. Finally arriving by the receptiion there was nowhere to place the car without blocking the street. No 10 min parking for the hotel by the entrance or anything. And all parking spots were taken. I then had to drive on, and after driving around the city centre a bit I ended up with a parking spot a few streets away.

Walking into the hotel one receptionst was on the phone, and the other was an elderly man that turned out to be the night shift and had just arrived. I tried to talk to him to check in. He actually seemed timid to talk with me. He said he could not help me and I had to wait for the other receptionist to help me check in. He found my name on a manual list, but that was all. I asked him about parking, expecting them to have either their own garage or discounted parking spaces in some garage. They did not have either. It was either parking in the street or he recommended the parking house at the train station 10 min walk away. As soon as the other receptionist was ready to talk to me he ran out looking for a parking space for me. But I ended up with parking at the train station which was also cheaper and safer. Getting all my luggage from my car was a bit hard since I had to block the street a bit and then drive to the parking..

I asked for free WLAN access as a Thon Club Member. This I got at another hotel and told her this. She said it was only for gold members. But since I had got this earlier, and they could not do any worse, it was no problem. And in any case, I was going to be upgraded to a gold membership during my stay in any case. So, all in all the front desk staff was friendly and service-minded, although some could have receivied better training.

I was lucky enough to get a room in a new wing connected by an bridge from the 1st floor. The room was new and modern and alltoghether very acceptable. Maid service, on the other hand, could be a lot better. The first morning after arrivaI was in my room (at 11.30 am) my door is almost broken down by the maid (locked on the inside). Bursting in she quickly excuses and leaves. When I leave 5-10 mins later I find a plastic bag on my door with towels, toilet paper and so on. Upon returning I find my room untouched by the maid. The next day I leave earlier, and the bed is made and litter emptied, but during the 3 days of my stay the floor or bathroom is not touched. Even though it obviously needed they both needed cleaning.

A great problem on the other hand is the noise from the streets during the night. My window was overlooking a back street, but I listened to ranting drunkards more than once during the night. When building this new wing they should have put some extra money in windows with better sound isolating capability..

Breakfast was quite good. A clean and inviting buffet with trays and drinks always filled. A good selection of Norwegian business newspapers was also available. What the local newspaper was doing there on the other hand, is beyond me. It is probably not every day people stay in hotels in their own town.

So, total experience was good. But although staff is friendly, some obviously needs better training. And if you are looking for something quiet, look somewhere else.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleaning and noise from street
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Noytronet
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 17 January 2007

My husband and I went to Trondheim for a conference at the University and the Thon Gildevangen was on the list of hotels that had contracted conference rates. Our first choice, the Britannia, was booked. Too bad. Our first impression of the T.G. was the small, 1970's -style, cheap quality lobby with musty sofa. Not good. The room wasn't ready even though we arrived at the check-in time. When I was shown the room, it was very small, had a cracked window, and overlooked a burned building. I asked if anything else was available and was shown 2 other rooms overlooking the street. On hindsight, I should have kept the first room as it probably would have been quieter. What at first seemed like a sunny spacious room proved very noisy as it was over a cafe/bar which was open way past midnight. There was also a disco down the street which was open till nearly dawn. Even with closed windows we didn't get a good night's sleep for 5 days. The elevator mirror was cracked, and the overall maintenance of the hotel was poor. The maid did not dust the room at all in 5 days. I checked the night stands and coffee tables and the dust just accummulated daily. Same with the bathroom - the glass stand where you keep your toothbrushes, cups, etc., was never cleaned the entire time we stayed there. The breakfast was mediocre - the first couple of days they had a waffle making contraption I was unfamiliar with and when I asked one of the ladies how to use it she grudgingly showed me and seemed annoyed I dragged her away from doing nothing. The coffee was not drinkable - lukewarm mud is a more accurate description. While the reception staff were very helpful and kind, the maid and restaurant staff were what can only be described as similar to what one expected when one travelled to the former Soviet Union - slack, unfriendly, lazy. What was otherwise a pleasant stay in a pleasant town with nice people was marred by this mediocre hotel with poor service and poor maintenance. Did I mention this was not a cheap place to stay? The price of the room was few dollars less than the Radisson or the Britannia.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Maggie93