“Fair enough” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Bergen, Norway
“Fair enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2007

Arriving at the hotel by car was not at all easy. My GPS got me to the hotel, but the adress found in the yellow pages was not to the street where the reception entrance was, but to another street were stopping was not at all adviceable.. Getting to the right street was not easy because of many one way streets. Finally arriving by the receptiion there was nowhere to place the car without blocking the street. No 10 min parking for the hotel by the entrance or anything. And all parking spots were taken. I then had to drive on, and after driving around the city centre a bit I ended up with a parking spot a few streets away.

Walking into the hotel one receptionst was on the phone, and the other was an elderly man that turned out to be the night shift and had just arrived. I tried to talk to him to check in. He actually seemed timid to talk with me. He said he could not help me and I had to wait for the other receptionist to help me check in. He found my name on a manual list, but that was all. I asked him about parking, expecting them to have either their own garage or discounted parking spaces in some garage. They did not have either. It was either parking in the street or he recommended the parking house at the train station 10 min walk away. As soon as the other receptionist was ready to talk to me he ran out looking for a parking space for me. But I ended up with parking at the train station which was also cheaper and safer. Getting all my luggage from my car was a bit hard since I had to block the street a bit and then drive to the parking..

I asked for free WLAN access as a Thon Club Member. This I got at another hotel and told her this. She said it was only for gold members. But since I had got this earlier, and they could not do any worse, it was no problem. And in any case, I was going to be upgraded to a gold membership during my stay in any case. So, all in all the front desk staff was friendly and service-minded, although some could have receivied better training.

I was lucky enough to get a room in a new wing connected by an bridge from the 1st floor. The room was new and modern and alltoghether very acceptable. Maid service, on the other hand, could be a lot better. The first morning after arrivaI was in my room (at 11.30 am) my door is almost broken down by the maid (locked on the inside). Bursting in she quickly excuses and leaves. When I leave 5-10 mins later I find a plastic bag on my door with towels, toilet paper and so on. Upon returning I find my room untouched by the maid. The next day I leave earlier, and the bed is made and litter emptied, but during the 3 days of my stay the floor or bathroom is not touched. Even though it obviously needed they both needed cleaning.

A great problem on the other hand is the noise from the streets during the night. My window was overlooking a back street, but I listened to ranting drunkards more than once during the night. When building this new wing they should have put some extra money in windows with better sound isolating capability..

Breakfast was quite good. A clean and inviting buffet with trays and drinks always filled. A good selection of Norwegian business newspapers was also available. What the local newspaper was doing there on the other hand, is beyond me. It is probably not every day people stay in hotels in their own town.

So, total experience was good. But although staff is friendly, some obviously needs better training. And if you are looking for something quiet, look somewhere else.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleaning and noise from street
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Noytronet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Connecticut, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2007

My husband and I went to Trondheim for a conference at the University and the Thon Gildevangen was on the list of hotels that had contracted conference rates. Our first choice, the Britannia, was booked. Too bad. Our first impression of the T.G. was the small, 1970's -style, cheap quality lobby with musty sofa. Not good. The room wasn't ready even though we arrived at the check-in time. When I was shown the room, it was very small, had a cracked window, and overlooked a burned building. I asked if anything else was available and was shown 2 other rooms overlooking the street. On hindsight, I should have kept the first room as it probably would have been quieter. What at first seemed like a sunny spacious room proved very noisy as it was over a cafe/bar which was open way past midnight. There was also a disco down the street which was open till nearly dawn. Even with closed windows we didn't get a good night's sleep for 5 days. The elevator mirror was cracked, and the overall maintenance of the hotel was poor. The maid did not dust the room at all in 5 days. I checked the night stands and coffee tables and the dust just accummulated daily. Same with the bathroom - the glass stand where you keep your toothbrushes, cups, etc., was never cleaned the entire time we stayed there. The breakfast was mediocre - the first couple of days they had a waffle making contraption I was unfamiliar with and when I asked one of the ladies how to use it she grudgingly showed me and seemed annoyed I dragged her away from doing nothing. The coffee was not drinkable - lukewarm mud is a more accurate description. While the reception staff were very helpful and kind, the maid and restaurant staff were what can only be described as similar to what one expected when one travelled to the former Soviet Union - slack, unfriendly, lazy. What was otherwise a pleasant stay in a pleasant town with nice people was marred by this mediocre hotel with poor service and poor maintenance. Did I mention this was not a cheap place to stay? The price of the room was few dollars less than the Radisson or the Britannia.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Maggie93

Travellers are raving about these Trondheim hotels

Aliso Viejo, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2006

I stayed at the Thon Gildevangen hotel for four nights in June. The room was small but sufficient as was the bathroom. The breakfast included in the room rate was good. The hotel location was convenient for walking around the city, though the town is small enough that any hotel would be conveniently located.

Unfortunately, I got very little sleep at the hotel though I was very tired because the room overlooked a bar which had loud patrons outside until 3 am every night. If noise bothers you when trying to sleep, I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
Fredrikstad, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2006

Stayed here one night only, when I visited Trondheim for the first time. The hotel was very old and “cheep”, whit cheep I mean very minimalistic and no room for entertainment or time wasting. They have a nice breakfast room and the food was good. The room was very small but ok.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank omp9
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2005

I suggest looking elsewhere for good lodging.

I stayed here for a week during the summer. Outside my room, on the street, there was a party going on at 3 am on more than one night. I thought the people were going to break my window!

I got laundry done, later I found out it cost me over 100 USD.

Be careful if you stay here, ask to sleep upstairs- not on the base level. And for gods sake don't do your laundry here.

Best luck