“This hotel made my congress prefect!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Oslo, Norway
“This hotel made my congress prefect!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I had an international congress over 4 days and since the hotel haven’t been open for more than app. 2 months when the congress started, I was a little bit nervous about everything, but all my worries was taken care of step by step!
The staff is amazing and they are there all the time, day or night and always with a smile on their faces, and they made my days so much easier, than I could ever dream of, and thanks to them and the hotel my congress was a BIG success!!
I can truly recommend this hotel to everybody, either for private visit or for business, either way, you will be taken good care of!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear HCB74,

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review. I am glad to hear that a big, international congress over 4 days was such a big success. We know that this is very helpful for other guests, and also for us to make improvements to our hotel! Hope to see you again soon at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim.

Best Regards Ingvil, on behalf of General Manager, Stig Hillestad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
Alesund, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

This hotel has real " wow "factor.
I Checked in and the reception staff were very friendly and welcoming.
I got room in 5`th floor with a grat view. :) The rooms is comfortable and modern. and the bathroom was also very nice and clean.
The view at the roof bar and terrace is stunning.

all in all, i would recommend it warmly!! :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hi Marenoverli,

Thank you for this nice feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the service, rooms and the view. Hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards Ingvil, on behalf og General Manager, Stig Hillestad
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Astrum restaurant on the 9 floor commands a great view of the fjord and they serve excellent food. Be sure to order as soon as you have decided as there are many who want to experience the raw bar.
The hotel is 3 months "new" and the architecture really modern in a good contrast to the rest of the city but this works as the hotel is located a couple of minutes drive from the city centre in a part of town also quite new (rockheim museum across the street and the pirbadet swimming and training facility).
The rooms are quite large and of good design, practical and comfortable.
Reception staff are friendly and helpfull. Efficient service.
Good food at breakfast and there also a nice view over the harbour.
All in all, i woul recommend it warmly!

Room Tip: There are Rooms on the side towards the fjord, norwegian nature at his best
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ingvil k, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Hi Tristan V,

Thank you so much for your nice review. Have a nice summer, and welcome back to Clarion Hotel Trondheim!

Best regards Ingvil, on behalf of Generel manager, Stig Hillestad.
TheShake
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just returned from a conference at Trondheim and stayed at the Clarion, the Hotel has real "wow" factor, the staff were welcoming, helpful, polite and cheerful. The rooms comfortable and modern with many looking over the fjord with stunning views, these views are shared by the skybar and restaurant on the roof. Sure, drinks are expensive but this is Norway not Magaluf, and alcohol is very heavily taxed, so not really fair to criticise the Hotel about this. The meal we had in the restaraunt was Michelin quality, and the staff were very accommodating to our party who's arrival was "staggered" because of a strike at Oslo airport. All in all a truly exceptional experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Fjord
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ingvil k, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear TheShake,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this nice review. I am glad you enjoyd our staff and the product itself. Welcome back to Clarion Hotel Trondheim.

Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed there with my family about a month after the grand opening.
My first impression was that the reception/lobby area was way too big and gave kind of a cold sterile impression. It is impressive with the tall roof, and I did like the "bridges" from the sides of the hotels in the higher floors. But the reception drowned a bit. The sofas may look nice but its very uncomfortable to sit there as ur back cant reach the back of the sofa, while ur feet are on the ground. These sofas for sure are for lounging/sleeping in. But id rather kick off my shoes.
However it wasnt very home-cosy in the lobby.
The second thing I have to comment was the horrible carpet on the second part of the lobby where there are a huge number of chairs in all kinds of shapes and materials. The chairs were kid of artistic so it was interesting. But the carpet looked VERY old (And ugly) and there were huge chunks of lints all over. As if it hadnt been vacuumed for months. (the rest of it was clean however). To our disappointment the same carpet was found in the breakfast/dining area when we came down for breakfast.... If would strongly advice them to change it ASAP as it would change the whole first impression.....
I am sure (I hope) that this was not intended from them and that the carpet is of very poor quality and design and that they will complain and get a new one.

On the day before arrival I tried calling the reception several times to ask abt somthing and guess what, no one replied. That was to me very surprising...since its 24/7 reception.

To add to that, on our departure the price wasnt as we'd been expecting, and nor one or the other receptionist (both Swedish, not that that necessarily mattered that way...Id more to say on that but I wont) could explain satisfyingly why the price wasnt the same. I actually managed to explain that to my family myself once I made some thoughts and understood it myself. Shouldnt the receptionists be able to answer better than the guest?

Ok enough of the critisism. Oh one danger warning: the bridges between the floors etc have VERY low "fences" and I felt scared walking there as they hardly reached my abdomen. If kids walk there and the parents dont watch, and wants to have a look down and start jumping to see, its VERY easy to slip an slide over and fall down. And its a long way down! I strongyl advice them to build a glasswall on top for safety reasons. It IS a congress hotel but I assume there will be both kids and adults with too much to drink that may have accidents there...

Now for the good part:

The hotel seemed clean
The room was absolutely great, the beds were lovely, the view was very nice. It could have been cleaned a LITTLE bit better but ok, it was the beginning period. The bathroom was spacious and clean, however I dont get the "no-wall/door/curtain" in the shower.... as water easily spilled everywhere (also under the one wall...) and it was actually quite cold to shower as it wasnt closed off enough. But the water and shower itself was great. The room was dark when u closed the curtains, which is a big plus for me. The sofa was nice and i could easily have stayed a week, but we only had a day before moving on.

The breakfast buffet was rich and plentyfold, it had everything and it tasted good. Its nice to be able to sit and watch the expressboats.

The SkyBar on the roof was great. I only checked the outside but it was a sunny day and a great view over the whole city and the island Munkholmen outside town.

About the design of the hotel...I dont like very much the design of the windows as it looks unfinished and a bit institusionalised...but its art so who am I to say anything. ;)

So to sum up, great stay: room, views, food
Id train the receptionists some more and how about hiring Norwegians instead? And change the carpet please...for your own good. It dragged down a lot. Thats why 3 and not 4. Im that critial as this hotel is supposed to be quite luxurious and big, and new... otherwise I wouldnt be that detailed.
And please for safety reasons consider to put some glasswalls from the "bridgewalls" and up to the roof...

Im sure they will be better once they get a bit more settled. Id recommend it for conference, business, solo, maybe couples, but its not that great for families w children?

When we came there was an offer, so I cant really comment on the prices...

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the sea and a room on the West side (standing from the entrance it would be West...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ingvil k, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Hi International7,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. This kind of feedback is very important for us. The carpets are brand new, and it will take from 3 to 6 months before the wool material will stick into it, that`s why the carpets shreds. We vacuum the carpets every day, but unfortunately it will not look perfect for about 3 to 6 months.

I`m glad you enjoyed much of the stay- and hope to see you again at Clarion Hotel Trondheim!

Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed two nights at this hotel in the beginning of June 2012. The hotel is brand new, opened in April/May 2012. Cool design, nice rooms. Not sure I liked the "dotted" windows, but I got used to it! I had a spacious room, nice bathroom. Breakfast was OK, nothing special but not bad. The hotel has a roof top bar/restaurant with great views and wonderful sunsets. Tasteful food at the restaurant, but veeeeery slow service. It took more than an hour to get our main course, and then we had to wait for another hour from we ordered our dessert until it was served....... By the time I think Trondheim has better options, but this place has a potential:-)

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the fjords, Munkholmen and the sunset!
Hi Nordkvinnen,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time writing a review of Clarion Hotel Trondheim. Your feedback is of great value to us, and we will use all input to improve our service and product. We hope to see you again in our hotel!

Eastern Norway, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I was not there for sleep, simply there for a concert in their massive conference hall. The architecture is pretty cool, and it shows they are serious on the market.

They offered beers before the show, served in Carlsberg plastic bottles for 80 NOK a piece. That's 13 dollars ladies and gents, 13 dollars for a plastic bottle of beer. Even more, the cheeky boy behind the counter insisted I would type in the amount I bought drinks for in his credit card machine. When this happens in Norway, I instantly stop buying anything as it is a disgusting habit these places have;

1. Why would I give you any tip? All you did was fetch me the plastic bottle of beer.
2. Why would you GIVE UP one of your ONLY tasks to me a customer by doing YOUR job of plotting in the price?

It's downright disgusting and I recommend anyone seeing this habit by hotels, restaurants etc etc to either refuse to do it or simply pay and never come back.

As I will not use this hotel or buy anything from them ever again,

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank spitfireix
Hi spitfireix,

Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to write a review. I`m sorry that your experience with prices at the concert was bad. 80 NOK for a 0.5 glass of beer is quite a normal price here in Norway. What we plot in the credit card machine is standard in Choice and a lot of serving places; that we plot the price, and the guest plots the total.