“Value for money guesthouse”
Review of Skiven Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bergen
Skiven Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 21 Bergen B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Value for money guesthouse”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was a very convenient, clean and pleasant place to stay right in the centre of Bergen. Certainly good value for money given Norway's outrageous prices. Charming lady who runs the guesthouse was extremely friendly and helpful. Shared bathrooms were not a problem at all. Use of kitchen and table and chairs in room allowed us to save money by making our own meals when we wanted to - tea and coffee were provided. It was really close to most places of interest.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lovetotravel15

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This nice little guesthouse was in a great location in Bergen's old town. While not huge, the rooms were cozy and clean, as were the guest kitchen (a bonus) and the shared bathrooms. The owners were lovely people and accommodated our unusual needs - three people in a room (a bit cramped but we saved money that way) and a late check-in. They even let us keep a key during the day we checked out so we could leave our bags inside and go sightseeing before our flight - great service! The downside to this place is the steep walk up to the house (it's partway up one of Bergen's hills), but the old-world charm and good price made up for the trek in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Zaragoza, Spain
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I chose this guesthouse because I wanted to be near the center and the station, I wanted a reasonable price and I wanted to stay in a wooden house. And that is exactly what I got.

At the time of booking I clearly indicated my arrival time. However, upon arrival, my room was not ready and I was politely invited to go out and see the city. Considering it was drizzling and getting dark, that was not my plan, but I had to accept it anyway. At least I could leave my luggage there.

It was great to have a kitchen. But I was missing a table and chairs there - you had to eat your food in your room. The room was quite big and comfortable. The toilet and the bathroom felt cold because their windows had to be left open. The house was in general rather run down.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank fufaita
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed there a couple of nights last month. The whole place is spotless, even the bathroom couldn't be cleaner! I had a nice, big double room overlooking the cobbled street and the bed proved really comfortable. Not that I could use the kitchen much as I was away most of the time but it had all the necessary equipment ready for use. Ohh, and free wi-fi which is extremely appreciated to avoid huge roaming charges!!

Regarding the personal touch, the owner is one of the nicest persons I've ever met. He couldn't be more helpful, giving advice about the place and the town, and he even went the extra mile to keep my luggage while I was away for the weekend.

In short, a lovey place to stay and an obvious choice next time I'm back in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Javipena82
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for two nights. We loved the charm and character of the place. It's a great location, clean and the owners are very friendly and helpful. She even had a collection of tourist pamphlets in multiple languages so no need to visit a tourist info centre. She recommended the rail ride up the mountain, and we do too - fantastic view and walk down the mountain

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Chameleon85
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed at Skiven Guesthouse for two nights. The walk from the train station to the house was short, and check in was easy. The owner was outside cleaning and saw us. She knew who we must be right away and showed us in. Our room was next to the kitchen with a nice view from the window. Decent sized room with a table and two chairs and a wardrobe. There is free internet if you get the password from the owners. Having a kitchen is nice, though we didn't really use it, and coffee or tea was available. There were two bathrooms, one with a shower, both very clean and we didn't have any issues with other guests taking too much time in them. The walk to the city was nice and short, and the guesthouse is on a really cute street. Overwall, definitely enjoyed my time there and would stay again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EAlba
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 August 2012

You arrive after walking up the steep Fjellsiden (hillside) from the train station, hauling luggage in the famous Bergen rain, and your landlady ushers you right in, doesn't need a proper check-in or credit card, and you immediately know that although you're in Norway's second largest city, it's still a small town at heart. A lot of heart, much of it residing at Skiven Guesthouse.

Because all of Norway (and most of Scandinavia) was in Bergen for the Bruce Springsteen shows, we had a hard time finding accommodations within our budget. We are not fussy travelers - we want cleanliness, security, and our own bathrooms. We embrace guesthouses and all the warmth and hospitality they represent - it's the inn thing - but shared toilets and showers are usually a no-no. However, we figured that of all places in the world, this would prove to be a completely moot issue in Scandinavia, where we had thus far encountered nothing but the most pristine consideration for others' comfort and civic-mindedness. And we were not wrong. Brownie points for the heated bathroom floors.

Perhaps it was because we were on the first floor of the family's home and you'd feel bad messing up someone's residence - in fact, there was even a shared kitchen with all the utensils and fridge space you'd need to cook and eat in, and it was never, ever messy or unpalatable. We always dined out, but there were guests who did, and they kept it spotless. As did the daily housekeeping - after being at Springsteen for almost four hours and then hot-dogging it at the King Oscar Gate polser stand (bonus for being just 10 minutes away from the guesthouse), it's nice to come home to an inviting room.

The room was spacious with a window looking out to Skivebakken, one of the town's colorful cobblestoned streets. There was a little table with two chairs, a closet, a faucet and sink, and more electrical outlets than we knew what to do with. It was nothing luxurious, but it felt like home - every night was a very sweet sleep, and there was nothing to want for. Owners Elizabeth and Alf mostly left you to your own devices, but if you needed anything, they were right there and got it done before you could even finish asking for it. When we received our Springsteen e-tickets via email and forwarded them for help in printing out, Alf ten-four'd almost immediately and they were on our table when we got back before the show, crisp as new dollar bills.

Skiven is close to everything you'd want to see in Bergen, north to south, and the Fjellsiden makes for a nice morning run workout. If you wanted to slide into local living for a few days, complete with lady at her window with cat, this residential spot is where you want to snuggle up.

You'll never confuse this with a regular hotel - and you actually welcome the change from the routine rigamarole - but when Elizabeth asks the night before you check out if you can settle the bill then because her son broke his arm and she needed to take him to the doctor the next morning, you're totally OK with it. More than a week after we'd checked out by letting ourselves out on our own and leaving the key on the hallway dresser, we still remembered this fondly with a hearty chuckle.

Room Tip: You don't really get to choose a room and I'm not sure if this is a choice in a guesthouse...