“Worth the Trip”

Spisekroken
Ranked #5 of 370 Restaurants in Bergen
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Norwegian, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Vågen
“Worth the Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This Is a wonderful little restaurant off the beaten track away from the tourist area. We walked from the wharf for about 10 minutes to find this little gem. It is like a local little place in a residential area. You get to see where the locals live and the views are great on the walk back to the wharf. We had the Duck the Bream and the Trout and every one was excellent. The service was great and friendly. Like all of Norway prices are a little on the high side but middle of the road for Norway. Dinner with wine 1300kr. A reservation is a must.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Steve408

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
“Just overall not what i was expecting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I knock this place for the service not the food. Everything I tried was interesting and very well prepared and I definitely would return but maybe with a group? I was traveling alone through Bergen and bar a reservation based on the excellent reviews for Sunday night at 8:00. The place was very busy and so I don't want to say that the service wasn't deservingly a little slower and the waitresses weren't preoccupied, but I got the feeling that as a solo diner I was being put on the back burner for groups. Again, I'm all about a leisurely meal but it took AN HOUR between my starter and my entree. I got an apology 50 minutes in, but during this time I saw countless other entrees brought downstairs while I twiddled my thumbs. In this time as well I was not acknowledged by my waitress until fifty minutes had gone by.... I definitely have ordered a glass of wine if you had stopped to offer! Just not the experience I was hoping for with such limited time in Bergen.

London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The rest of the review say it all! Without them you would not stumble across this lovely restaurant and you wouldn't get a table. We visited on Norwegian Independence Day so they had a limited menu but great atmosphere and the food was great. Thoroughly recommend it!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank GregR322
Hong Kong, China
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We booked the table only a few hours before dinner and it was the last table available. For starter, the 4 of us ordered a house creamed fish soup with plenty of mussels. Originally we wanted to order 2 but the staff warned us about the portion. Indeed it was quite large and the soup was big enough to be shared among 4 people. For main course, we ordered 2 duck breast and 2 veal. Veal was the specialty of the restaurant but what surprised us was the duck breast. The duck breast along with its side dish was amazing.

The best part of the dinner was dessert! We ordered an apple tart with cream cheese icecream. We told the staff how good the icecream was and he gave us 2 extra scoops! We could not stop eating. It was a very pleasant experience.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank foodandtravel_hk
Lisbon, Portugal
“great food, make sure to have a reservation and sit upstairs..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

You need to have a reservation for this population restaurant, we did not and ended up in the basement. Not unpleasant but no windows, a bit humid and we were alone except for the other guests coming down past our table for the toilets. Food was great, top quality chef clearly, although the concept slightly less interesting than for example Bien Bar (see my recent review there) for example the set menu starts with a plate serving three small taster starters, each with their own accompaniment, resulting in six little bites to start with, perhaps this is a bit overdone as although it gives really nice variety one does not really understand what the starter actually was, main course was superbly prepared veal (it was really good so did not matter that we had had it two days earlier almost similarly in Bien bar) then followed by again a highly varied dessert platter, very very good again but perhaps a bit too much variety, or perhaps it is the fact that one gets all these deserts / entrees at once that makes it slightly less surprising. Our waiter was totally nice and welcoming and did an absolutely great job. Overall very strong place for an excellent foodie experience, but try to reserve and sit upstairs...

• Visited April 2014