“Good location”

Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Plymouth
“Good location”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I chose this hotel because of the location. Really easy to get to from airport as the Tides bus stops right outside. Staff were friendly and check in and out quick. Hotel is right in the middle of Bryggen. We enjoyed sitting watching the cruisers trying to dock along side. The hotel had space outside where you could have a drink. However, no local beer only Carlsberg. Norway is eye watering expensive. £40 for 2 beers each.
Rooms are Ok but didn't like the powdered milk for the coffee. Breakfast was just ok. Really full and the service was terrible. Some people found it hard to get a table as they weren't being cleared very quickly.
Location and ease to airport made it a good choice though.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tngm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Hotel is clean and nice, however the rooms are small, which is expected in Norway. Only issue i had is my room looked out over a Bar/Night Club that went on till around 4am, quite noisy...i asked to move rooms, but they were unable to accomodate me. Great location, near all the restaurants, bars and water front access...Bergen is great.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JanetGon
UK
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I nice comfortable hotel. The location is handy for the old town area of Bergen, next to the harbour and close to the paths up to the top of the hills behind. It's also the final stop for one of the Tide airport bus (or first if heading back to the airport with the bus pulling up right outside).

The reception is nice looking, a bit executive-y, and the staff beneficent and friendly. I was expecting to drop my bags and return later in the day but the staff checked me in despite my early arrival (c.11am). This was more than handy as I'd taken a very early morning flight to get there.
I quite liked the corridors to the rooms - nicely light and lovely looking carpet - not something I've really noticed in all my hotel stays before!

The room itself was reasonably appointed though on the small side. There was a small coffee table and it turned out there was a sort of desk in the room too, but you had to fold it out from the wall and it would rest angled slightly downwards, so you couldn't really put anything on it without risking it falling off. The chair in the room was comfortable for briefly sitting in, but didn't seem like it would work with the fold out desk very well (not that I tried). I spent most of my time in the room sat on the bed.

There was a nice looking flat screen TV but I couldn't get it to work - I could get it to turn on, but never any signal; not that I'd have understood Norwegian in any case.

There were tea and Coffee facilities in the room, with powered creamer (I bought some real milk in a local shop instead). There was a mini bar with automatic charging for anything removed - there was however two shelves labelled "for guest use" - one of these was empty and I just about squeezed in milk and salad; the other had something on it which I assumed was free...without a price list I didn't know for sure, and when I asked reception it turn out it was chargeable, but given the lack of a price list, they offered not to charge me.

The Wifi did however work faultlessly and at a reasonable speed.

The bed was comfortable - in fact, I'd go as far as saying cosy.

The bathroom, wasn't large, but I wouldn't call it small either - average hotel size I suppose. Only a shower though - no bath. Usual Radisson toiletries, but no toothbrush. I'd not packed one this time so really did need one. I spotted the cleaner in the corridor so I asked her; she returned after a little while with one for me.

There was a tasty breakfast each morning and it had a very good spread of items. I filled out well each day!

All hotels in Bergen at pricey; I think given this I would stay here again but would probably want a larger and fully functioning room instead. I would have liked a swimming pool, but alas there wasn't one at the hotel, like most hotels in Bergen.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and got one at the very back of the hotel - nice and far from the lifts and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Small rooms, but that is normal in Bergen, and the design of this hotel had to fit in with the historic Bryggen. I'm prepared to cut this place a lot of slack because of the world-class archaeology that was done during the construction. The rooms are better than the box-beds of the medieval buildings that used to be here!

The staff are very proud of the recent refurbishment, but that seems to be merely deferred maintenance: tidying the long-tired decor rather than achieving anything radical: there is still no elevator access to the parking, for example. The workmanship is suspect: oak skirtings are already coming off in the corridors, and the staff response seems to be to discard, not refit them. In the rooms one lot of ship's cabin furniture has been swapped for another. Try to plug the kettle in to discover how ill-thought the whole design is. The showers are superb, and all the plumbing works.

The beds are odd. Comfy enough, and with generously wide duvets. But the comfort comes from a 30mm foam layer over the box base. this layer moves about while you are sleeping, so you soon lose the precise flat edge, and are at risk of falling out of bed while asleep.

Wifi is generously fast, but the log-in portal has a habit of randomly disconnecting you for no good reason, leaving you to sort it out.

Rooms are cleaned by mistake. They are only hoovered when you check out.

The hotel is entirely geared around the coach-tour one-night trade. Even though I had booked several weeks they kept piling my luggage off the furniture and cancelling my keycard because I had not checked out on a daily basis.

This is the only hotel in Bergen not to provide free coffee in the lobby for guests.

The car park is a hideous nightmare .

The restaurant is very poor. The choice of Italian cuisine is a cop-out - the chance to serve food with rock-bottom ingredient costs and no great skill in the cooking. Boring, over-priced, meals.

Room Tip: avoid the ones over reception, the noise from the busstop goes on for hours
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed there one night after our cruise from Oslo
Bergen is very nice and beautiful place but we didn't really enjoyed our stay in Radisson
The Internet was awful it didn't work neither ipad,2 iphones its was a nightmare !
The bed was strange for that amount of money that we payed 200 euro for one night we expected the bed be a double size but it was 2 separate beds that we had to put together !
The kettle was very small ( that you can buy in pound shop ) and didn't work at first
So for Radisson we expected more ! And the next day we even ask to pay again ! but we showed our bank statement in mobile banking that the payment already been deducted ! So staff wasn't very helpful! But the location is great !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stylishtraveler2013
Radissonbergen, Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Bergen, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take pride in our “Yes I Can!” culture and do apologize that you did not receive this level of service. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services. Our hotel has both rooms with twin beds and double beds to meet the needs of all our guests. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations next time you are in Bergen and we will of course do our very best to accommodate you in a room with a double/queen bed. Please just specify your preference upon booking.

In terms of the Internet we are in the process of upgrading our entire system to a faster Internet connection. This is being done in order to deliver high-speed Internet to both our hotel guests and meeting delegates at the same time. It is nice to hear you enjoyed the location of the hotel, here at Bryggen.

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay. You can of course also contact me directly if there is anything I can assist you with!

Best Regards

Kjartan Vestbø
-Sales Manager-
kjartan.vestbo@radissonblu.com
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Great location. You can walk around for sight seeing and shopping. You can find good and reasonable priced food nearby. Comfortable rooms though a bit small. The breakfast buffet spread is good. Wifi is strong therefore you can go online without much of a problem.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marie631217
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed here before a cruise. It was a great location, near the funicular railroad, close to the Bryggen district, walking distance to many sites. We were only there overnight, but the room was nice, the breakfast was great. Very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple