“Very nice hotel close to Bryggen”

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Bergen
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Emmen, Switzerland
“Very nice hotel close to Bryggen”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is 2-3 minutes away from Bryggen and close to the centre of Bergen. The rooms are comfortable, clean and adequately sized. The Nespresso coffee machine is a big plus. Staff is very friendly and helpful. We even got a free upgrade to a larger room. We can recommend this hotel for a city trip to Bergen.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lubriport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I had booked this hotel a week upfront through my employer's travel agency. When I arrived half past midnight after a long day, I was informed the hotel was overbooked and that they had organized another hotel for me.
I had to wait for another taxi (of course mine just drove off when I got the news) and was taken to another hotel (not my choice) 15min back the way I was coming from.

I would have expected the hotel to warn me or my travel agency at least a day upfront, or even during my flight, so I would be able to choose myself and not loose ant precious time.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Lindsey B
Therese S, Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Bergen, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Lindsey. We understand how precious time can be and you are absolutely right that it would have been better if we managed to inform you, or your travel agency, before you arrived at the hotel. Especially considering your late arrival. This is not the kind of experiences we want our guests to have.

Your feedback is very valuable to us and we will use it in our continuous work on improving every part of the service aspect. Despite the issue you had last time, we sincerely hope that we get the possibility to welcome you again. Please send me an e-mail prior to you arrival, in order for me to quality assure everything about your reservation.

We hope to see you again!

Best Regards

Kjartan Vestbø
-Sales Manager-
kjartan.vestbo@radissonblu.com
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We took the train from Oslo to Bergen, and walked to the hotel from the train station (only took about 20 minutes, and fairly flat terrain). The hotel is in a beautiful part of Bergen and is ideally located for exploring Bergen. The hotel is lovely - modern, well appointed. We had a business class room and were glad we did, as I think the standard ones were quite small. Breakfast area lovely and spacious, with a great variety of food for breakfast (not as extensive as the Oslo version of breakfasts for this chain of hotels, but nonetheless we'd rate it as top notch). As with Oslo version of hotels in this chain, reception staff okay but if these hotels are aiming to give great service, they have a way to go. Staff don't seem particularly well informed or interested in doing more than is absolutely necessary. So, no particular complaints, but likewise no particular compliments. Just adequate. We would stay there again if we visited Bergen because of the location.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for business class room as they are bigger. Also, we had one of the rooms...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KerryGarry
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our sightseeing holiday in Bergen. This hotel has a great location if you plan on doing day trips out of Bergen. We caught the bus from the airport and had pleasant journey through Bergen, with the Radisson hotel being the last stop on the bus route. We found the hotel to be comfortable and had all that we needed for this type of holiday. The hotel is in walking distance to some great hiking trails up the mountains, shops and restaurants, and the train station from where we took our Norway in a Nutshell tour from. Breakfast was hectic in the mornings but provided us with some healthy Norwegian breakfast options as opposed to some other places in the world which are packed with unhealthy fried dishes. There was a small gym on the top floor which was okay, but nothing to get too excited about. Service in the hotel was average, for example on one day our shampoo's had not been replaced so we called housekeeping at night and it took over 20 mins for someone to bring us a bottle of shampoo (this was after we called them twice)

Be prepared to pay a lot for things in Bergan especially on eating out. We walked around the restaurants located in the harbor and the food looked great but pricing was extortionate. We ended up settling on a place called Egon (just 5 mins walk from the hotel) due to it's pleasant outdoor setting, generous food servings and reasonable prices. When I say reasonable I mean by Bergens standards based on the average pricing of other restaurants in the area. e.g for ~$45 USD you can get a large ham and pineapple pizza and a ~$15 USD pint of the local beer. If you plan on doing any day trips anywhere best to bring a packed lunch along with you as there are plenty of bakeries and 7/11's that do rolls and salads etc.

Overall we had a good experience at this hotel and would stay here again if visiting Bergen in the future. My travelers tip would be to make the most of the included buffet breakfast and take advantage of the free natural sightseeing activities that this beautiful country has to offer.

Room Tip: Request a room with wooden floors for allergy sufferers.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I chose this hotel because of the location. Really easy to get to from airport as the Tides bus stops right outside. Staff were friendly and check in and out quick. Hotel is right in the middle of Bryggen. We enjoyed sitting watching the cruisers trying to dock along side. The hotel had space outside where you could have a drink. However, no local beer only Carlsberg. Norway is eye watering expensive. £40 for 2 beers each.
Rooms are Ok but didn't like the powdered milk for the coffee. Breakfast was just ok. Really full and the service was terrible. Some people found it hard to get a table as they weren't being cleared very quickly.
Location and ease to airport made it a good choice though.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tngm
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Hotel is clean and nice, however the rooms are small, which is expected in Norway. Only issue i had is my room looked out over a Bar/Night Club that went on till around 4am, quite noisy...i asked to move rooms, but they were unable to accomodate me. Great location, near all the restaurants, bars and water front access...Bergen is great.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JanetGon
UK
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I nice comfortable hotel. The location is handy for the old town area of Bergen, next to the harbour and close to the paths up to the top of the hills behind. It's also the final stop for one of the Tide airport bus (or first if heading back to the airport with the bus pulling up right outside).

The reception is nice looking, a bit executive-y, and the staff beneficent and friendly. I was expecting to drop my bags and return later in the day but the staff checked me in despite my early arrival (c.11am). This was more than handy as I'd taken a very early morning flight to get there.
I quite liked the corridors to the rooms - nicely light and lovely looking carpet - not something I've really noticed in all my hotel stays before!

The room itself was reasonably appointed though on the small side. There was a small coffee table and it turned out there was a sort of desk in the room too, but you had to fold it out from the wall and it would rest angled slightly downwards, so you couldn't really put anything on it without risking it falling off. The chair in the room was comfortable for briefly sitting in, but didn't seem like it would work with the fold out desk very well (not that I tried). I spent most of my time in the room sat on the bed.

There was a nice looking flat screen TV but I couldn't get it to work - I could get it to turn on, but never any signal; not that I'd have understood Norwegian in any case.

There were tea and Coffee facilities in the room, with powered creamer (I bought some real milk in a local shop instead). There was a mini bar with automatic charging for anything removed - there was however two shelves labelled "for guest use" - one of these was empty and I just about squeezed in milk and salad; the other had something on it which I assumed was free...without a price list I didn't know for sure, and when I asked reception it turn out it was chargeable, but given the lack of a price list, they offered not to charge me.

The Wifi did however work faultlessly and at a reasonable speed.

The bed was comfortable - in fact, I'd go as far as saying cosy.

The bathroom, wasn't large, but I wouldn't call it small either - average hotel size I suppose. Only a shower though - no bath. Usual Radisson toiletries, but no toothbrush. I'd not packed one this time so really did need one. I spotted the cleaner in the corridor so I asked her; she returned after a little while with one for me.

There was a tasty breakfast each morning and it had a very good spread of items. I filled out well each day!

All hotels in Bergen at pricey; I think given this I would stay here again but would probably want a larger and fully functioning room instead. I would have liked a swimming pool, but alas there wasn't one at the hotel, like most hotels in Bergen.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and got one at the very back of the hotel - nice and far from the lifts and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo