“Great service, minimalist rooms”

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Bergen
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night in this hotel based on experience of other Radisson hotels. Having previously stayed in the Tallinn hotel with large rooms, floor to ceiling windows and stunning views, it was a little shocking to find a box-like room with a fold down desk and chair and a view of the roof of the internal courtyard area. Maybe it's a cultural thing but it certainly wasn't what I'd previously experienced. The rest of the hotel is excellently maintained. Having got the negative out the way, the positive is the service. Every member of staff is friendly, courteous and polite and it really does make a difference. The free in room WiFi is also a bonus when a lot of other hotels limit if to the communal areas

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank iancoady
Write a ReviewReviews (2,114)

Reviewed 30 October 2013

As a Canadian-American living in China, I was happy to arrive in Bergen after a long route via Amsterdam. This hotel is right next to a cheap shuttle going to/from the airport. I was there in May for national holidays, and this was a great place to take in the action.

Location: as others noted it's close to several touristy spots, but importantly near the pier where the Fjord tours depart from (A MUST. Spectacular). Great smoked salmon and other fishy delights can be had there as well. I found it easy to walk anywhere I needed to go in Bergen, and never did I take any transit.

Breakfast: Very generous and tasty. Lots of domestic tourists were around when I visited, and I found people to be quite grumpy and business-like in the morning, so do as I did and send them some cheerful smiles!

Room: Clean, very tiny. Bathroom clean and very tiny. Bed comfortable enough. Internet nice and fast. Standard list of international hotel tv channels. I found it quite expensive, but Norway is the kind of place you have to exhale and just tolerate in terms of expenses.

Staff and service wasn't anything I really dealt with, but they seemed fine if a bit reserved as many locals are anyway, in my opinion.

Bergen, however, is a great city with plenty of lovely food, people, and nature to take in. This is a good place to base your stay from if you don't mind spending a bit more.

Room Tip: Obviously you'd like a view of Bryggen if possible, but I had a view of another window in some b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Zach F
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Hi I am into my 2nd night stay here and it has been fabulous. The hotel is pretty new and the breakfast is simply awesome. Overall , I would stay here again and retards this as a much better choice than the radisson blu Norde which is much older though more convenient.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank victor1612
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is 2-3 minutes away from Bryggen and close to the centre of Bergen. The rooms are comfortable, clean and adequately sized. The Nespresso coffee machine is a big plus. Staff is very friendly and helpful. We even got a free upgrade to a larger room. We can recommend this hotel for a city trip to Bergen.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lubriport
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had booked this hotel a week upfront through my employer's travel agency. When I arrived half past midnight after a long day, I was informed the hotel was overbooked and that they had organized another hotel for me.
I had to wait for another taxi (of course mine just drove off when I got the news) and was taken to another hotel (not my choice) 15min back the way I was coming from.

I would have expected the hotel to warn me or my travel agency at least a day upfront, or even during my flight, so I would be able to choose myself and not loose ant precious time.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Lindsey B
Therese S, Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Bergen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Lindsey. We understand how precious time can be and you are absolutely right that it would have been better if we managed to inform you, or your travel agency, before you arrived at the hotel. Especially considering your late arrival. This is not the kind of experiences we want our guests to have.

Your feedback is very valuable to us and we will use it in our continuous work on improving every part of the service aspect. Despite the issue you had last time, we sincerely hope that we get the possibility to welcome you again. Please send me an e-mail prior to you arrival, in order for me to quality assure everything about your reservation.

We hope to see you again!

Best Regards

Kjartan Vestbø
-Sales Manager-
kjartan.vestbo@radissonblu.com

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We took the train from Oslo to Bergen, and walked to the hotel from the train station (only took about 20 minutes, and fairly flat terrain). The hotel is in a beautiful part of Bergen and is ideally located for exploring Bergen. The hotel is lovely - modern, well appointed. We had a business class room and were glad we did, as I think the standard ones were quite small. Breakfast area lovely and spacious, with a great variety of food for breakfast (not as extensive as the Oslo version of breakfasts for this chain of hotels, but nonetheless we'd rate it as top notch). As with Oslo version of hotels in this chain, reception staff okay but if these hotels are aiming to give great service, they have a way to go. Staff don't seem particularly well informed or interested in doing more than is absolutely necessary. So, no particular complaints, but likewise no particular compliments. Just adequate. We would stay there again if we visited Bergen because of the location.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for business class room as they are bigger. Also, we had one of the rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KerryGarry
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our sightseeing holiday in Bergen. This hotel has a great location if you plan on doing day trips out of Bergen. We caught the bus from the airport and had pleasant journey through Bergen, with the Radisson hotel being the last stop on the bus route. We found the hotel to be comfortable and had all that we needed for this type of holiday. The hotel is in walking distance to some great hiking trails up the mountains, shops and restaurants, and the train station from where we took our Norway in a Nutshell tour from. Breakfast was hectic in the mornings but provided us with some healthy Norwegian breakfast options as opposed to some other places in the world which are packed with unhealthy fried dishes. There was a small gym on the top floor which was okay, but nothing to get too excited about. Service in the hotel was average, for example on one day our shampoo's had not been replaced so we called housekeeping at night and it took over 20 mins for someone to bring us a bottle of shampoo (this was after we called them twice)

Be prepared to pay a lot for things in Bergan especially on eating out. We walked around the restaurants located in the harbor and the food looked great but pricing was extortionate. We ended up settling on a place called Egon (just 5 mins walk from the hotel) due to it's pleasant outdoor setting, generous food servings and reasonable prices. When I say reasonable I mean by Bergens standards based on the average pricing of other restaurants in the area. e.g for ~$45 USD you can get a large ham and pineapple pizza and a ~$15 USD pint of the local beer. If you plan on doing any day trips anywhere best to bring a packed lunch along with you as there are plenty of bakeries and 7/11's that do rolls and salads etc.

Overall we had a good experience at this hotel and would stay here again if visiting Bergen in the future. My travelers tip would be to make the most of the included buffet breakfast and take advantage of the free natural sightseeing activities that this beautiful country has to offer.

Room Tip: Request a room with wooden floors for allergy sufferers.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple