“One of the worst hotels I've been to in terms of service and quality.”
Review of Scandic Neptun

Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Although I only stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, experience some of the most atrocious service I've experienced in all my years of traveling.
Prior to arriving at the hotel I went online to browse through pictures of the superior room that I had booked and was delighted to see that it looked completely updated and modern. But after I checked in saw the room was astonished to see the difference. Instead of the clean, new and modern furniture, I thought I would arrive to, I arrived to mold smelling, dirt and stained covered, outdated furniture. I immediately went down to the receptionist and told her about the situation and she explained to me that while half of the hotel had been renovated, the other half had not. Naturally, I requested to be moved into the room that I was paying for but according to the receptionist every single renovated room had been booked and since I was already checked in, there was no chance of me being able to leave with any sort of reimbursement.
Already disappointed with the hotels lack of disclosure concerning it's non renovated rooms I attempted to enjoy the rest of my vacation. After a long day of sightseeing I returned to my room to take a shower only to find out that there was no warm running water. Already extremely irritated by the recent events regarding the hotel room I called the receptionist to tell her that the only water coming from the shower head was freezing cold. She then told me that a maintenance man would be up in no more than 30 min to fix the problem and not to worry. After 50 min passed I yet again called the receptionist. She then claimed that a few other rooms had been complaining about the same issue but there was nothing she could do about it and we should just wait until the morning to see if it was working. At that point I was extremely disappointed with the lack of assistance from the receptionist that I went downstairs and demanded to see the manager. The receptionist then told me not only would I not be able to talk to the manager but that they were not going to even attempt to restore the hot water or even relocate us because they did not believe it was their fault. Completely appalled by the hotels incompetence, the next morning I checked out early and decided to pay for another hotel, even though i had already payed for this one. I do not recommend booking a room with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
biriv, Manager at Scandic Neptun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for your review!

We are sorry to hear about your experience - this is not at all how we want our
guests to feel. We take a lot of pride in being hospitable and serviceminded, and we think
we usually are but obviously this time we failed. We’re really sorry about your experience and I’ll pass this on to our reception manager so they can look tinto their routines.

Once again; we are truly sorry, but hope your trip to Bergen ended in a good way.

There are newer reviews for Scandic Neptun

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Scandic Hotel forced to update many of the hotels, Bergen Neptun is on their way. Small but functional rooms, inexpensive furniture but modern, nice reading lights, spacious lobby, more than OK breakfast except cheap juices. Efficient staff waiting staff. I do not now if they run out of money, but side rooms in lobby lacks furniture.
Only big minus, mold in fresh bathrooms, sorry housekeepers but is not easy taking a shower without making the bathroom all wet, - no showercabin door.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review!

We are glad to hear that you liked it here. Your comments on the bathroom issues are forwarded to the housekeeper so they can look into it.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

E-mailed and telephoned to book a room. Service was excellent. They recommended a TS room for us 2 adults and 2 teenagers. It was great, a good size and bathroom and shower was good too. Breakfast is very good, and given the cost of eating out in Norway, it is recommended to have a hearty breakfast.

We arrived a little early and the lady receptionist offered to have our room cleaned immediately to enable us to go in the room early.

Restaurant was good too, we ate at the cheaper one and it was great, burger, salmon salad, sweet potato - very good and service was excellent.

When booking, be sure to book a quiet room and if you can't work out what to book via the website, then just pick up the phone and speak to them - they were very helpful.

Only a few small things, e.g. 2 light bulbs not working, one grumpy receptionist (all others were very nice), shower curtain smelled damp... none of these ruined our stay and we would stay again...

Room Tip: Ask for a large and quiet room - TS room was good for our family of 4
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review!

We are so happy to hear that you liked it here - looking forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel COULD be good - but wasn't. We did have a refurbed room, so, having read the reviews we were pleased with that. However, the room was a furnace. We tried to operate the air-con, and when we couldn't we rang the desk. "It's not aircon, it's not hot enough in Bergen to need it". Well, sorry guys, but it was in our room! So we had to have the windows open - and, you guessed it, it was really noisy. A flock of gulls (kittiwakes?) that screamed like hyenas all night long. OK, maybe not the hotel's fault, but worse was that our window faced onto a courtyard where people shouted, vans arrived and left with doors slamming etc etc. So not a good nights sleep - which is the main thing you want from a hotel. On our second hot night we found that the under-floor heating was on in the bathroom - in a heatwave??? - no wonder it was so hot. Breakfast would have been quite good, but the dining room was absolutely rammed and the food was given very little space. This meant you had to queue lengthily for every food item so it took time just to get a bit of jam! You were absolutely crammed in with everyone else - I'm generally fairly sociable but this was like being in a busy McDonalds at lunchtime - not what I expect in a hotel. Ironic that the breakfast room was so tiny for the number of people in it, because the atrium was gigantic - totally ridiculous design work from the architect! When we left no-one asked us what we thought of our experience, so as we weren't given the chance to make our criticisms in person, we make them here! Find somewhere quieter, guys, and where they are genuinely interested in the experience you have had, rather than just commenting on people's Trip Advisor reviews AFTER they've been written!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review!

We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. Due to the central location you sometimes might experience noise from the city/street life, unfortunately there is not much we can do about that. We do apologize for the way the reception staff handle your feedback on the air condition issue, this is not the way we want to adress our guests.

Summertime in Bergen is really busy and the hotels are fully booked. We try to advise our guest to have an early breakfast but sometimes it gets crowded when everybody is coming at the same time. We have opened up a lounge area next door to the restaurant where it is more quiet, maybe you did´nt see that?

Our goal is to make all guest welcome and taken care of in a good way, this time we did not succeed, and we are truly sorry about that.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for one night here with my family (incl 2 kids) in our wonderful trip to Norway. The hotel is located just in the street behind the one facing the world heitage buildings; so you are pretty closeby to all the main attractions; and shops; though you don't have the direct views as some of the other hotels might have.
Room offered to us was standard affair-nothing exceptional but not bad either. One thing which surprised us was the lack of basics like electric kettle (which we asked for, and were promptly provided with); and a stocked mini-bar (though there is a fridge).
The breakfast was good and general attitude of staff quite good.
All in all - not a hotel you would be awed by, but then we stayed here only one night for sleep alone- and no issues on that front :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your one night stay.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The first room we got was old, stained and stinky, but we complained and got a really nice room in the new part of the hotel. The shower was surprisingly powerful. Breakfast was ok, but the scrambled eggs were horrible. The hotel is very central, but if you open the windows at night, which we had to do because of the summer heat, it's impossible to sleep because of the traffic. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2014
biriv, Manager at Scandic Neptun, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear that you experienced noise during your stay. Scandic Neptun is situated in the city centre so it´s hard to avoid any noise from the city life.

Nice to know that our staff took good care of you and that you all in all enjoyd your stay.

Best regards

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very conveniently situated, glossy and totally impersonal. We enjoyed the well-chosen collection of modern art throughout the building though.

A very brusque "welcome" from an older woman on reception and no comment from another younger woman on receipt of the key on farewell. Another young member of the reception staff was however friendly and helpful when we had a query.

We think that our room had had its makeover (see other reviews) and we had quite a smart bathroom with a jolly door. Unfortunately it flooded extensively when we used the shower. The room itself was quite cramped with very little storage space but adequate for a 2 night stay.

We joined the lie-abeds for breakfast at 9.30 and it was quite a scrum: serving ceased at 10 am. However, getting some breakfast at 6.15 am before catching the airport bus was a positive!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear that were not quite happy with your stay. All our guest should feel welcome and apparently you did not, and that is not good enough so please except our apology.

Summer is top season i Bergen and most of the hotels are fully booked. Many of our guest choose to have a late breakfast so unfortunately it tends to be a bit crowded at the end. We try to recommend our guest to enjoy an early breakfast, so I´m happy you got a positive experience the last day of your stay.

birte Iversen