“Above a disco”
Review of Basic Hotel Bergen

Basic Hotel Bergen
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Would love to give it a good review since the rooms were nice but since I couldn't sleep after the restaurant downstairs turned into a disco lasting to 3 am, I just can't recommend...

Room Tip: So loud if the club at Soho is going on that night. Would never have brought my 70 year old mother t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank K_in_PDX
Mona S, General Manager at Basic Hotel Bergen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Guests
We are very sorry that you experienced this while staying at Basic Hotel Bergen.
We was not informed about this happening, and it came as surprise to us also.
Soho restaurant was closed in January 2011, and there has been none business there since then. The owner of the restaurant had rented this restaurant to a one time happening this evening, and did not notify us before this. Our nightwatch was not able to talk with the persons having the party to make them turn down the noise ( they did not listen to him ). For our guests and us this was a really bad situation, but as we was not informed and had the chance to talk with them about this before this happening , this was the unfortunate result. If you ever come to Bergen again, we would like to give you a free lagre room, without any disturbance. Best regards Mona Sandvik - General Manager

There are newer reviews for Basic Hotel Bergen

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Norway is extremely expensive. The hotel location is good, short walk to everywhere. The room is clean. I stayed for two nights, without seeing any employees in the hotel. Its really basic.
Take the train from Bergen to Oslo, if you have the time, the view is stunning!

Room Tip: If you plan to take the train to Oslo, pay the 90 NOK($17?) extra to get a first class cabin. You ge...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank shimbubu
Reviewed 25 April 2012

A fantastic hotel, basic did not come to mind at all while I stayed there, the design was very stylish and modern, aswell as being extremely comfortable. I was anticipating not being able to sleep that well as there were a handful of bars and restaurants around the corner but the only thing I heard during my stay were the seagulls (and there are plenty!)
I stayed in a single room and although it was small, I felt this to be made up by the stylish interiors and the REALLY NICE bathroom that wouldn't have looked out of place in a four star hotel!
The location was superb, a five minute walk to the centre of Bergen and another fifteen minutes sits Bryggen and the Fløibanen. I must also mention how friendly the man behind reception was when I arrived and during my stay, I didn't catch a name, but he was always friendly whenever I bumped into him and recommended what to see and do as well as helping me with directions, thank you!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location in Bergen. Very close to the tourist information center, attractions, food, and train station. The design is modern and very pretty. The entire place is very quiet and comfortable and also clean. I was in awe of just how nice the room was decorated as well as the entire hotel. Late check in is not a problem as long as you tell them before hand. The price was awesome for a stay in Norway and well worth it. The only issue we had was that the shower ( a semi circle design with two glass doors) was not able to open all the way due to the placement of a wall and sink, so you really had to squeeze in. For a small person this is no issue, but if you are a bit bigger (I am 5'9 and 210lbs) it was a little hard to get in and out. Loved the hotel and will most definitely stay again when we go back to the gorgeous city of Bergen.

Room Tip: Single room has a bed that is nice and big for a single person but can still fit two as a couple. Pl...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Situated close to the city center. Easy to find everything around. Restaurants, malls, shops, supermarket, convenience store, and several kebab shops. We did not spend any money on city transport as the city center that we explored were easily walkable from the hotel.

We arrived early in the morning and got an SMS notification about our booking that we could check in earlier. It really helped as we need a place to rest after our overnight journey by train. The receptionist is friendly and efficient that we can have an early check in.

The hotel is not big, but stylish inside. It has a good size of lift and good security features right from the front door. We need the our room key card to open the front door, the door to the corridor of the rooms and finally to the bed room.

We have got a good deal for booking a double room with private bathroom. It was the cheapest rate we could find in our search. I think our type of room is the smallest type of double room. The room is stylish, new-looking, and very clean. The bed room we had was small about 2.5x2.5 m2, excluding a spacious bathroom. With a queen size bed, the remaining space was quite small. It will be even more difficult to move around if you have large luggage. What else are provided in the room? A working table and chair, TV with few channels, small fridge, heater, mirror, a short horizontal pole to hang the cloths with hangers (instead of cupboard), kettle and cups. The linen and the towels were clean. The soap and toilet tissue were provided.

We stayed there for 1 night. We have a pleasant stay there. I would recommend this hotel for those who would look for basic accommodation within budget.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank daftrade
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Really cool design. Room was small, but very comfortable with everything you could need.
Fantastic location - very central and not noisy.
Wifi was good.
Really good price - even by Norwegian standards - that is saying something.
I checked in late (23:00) and had been given directions of how to access the hotel and my key - it all worked seamlessly.
I only saw one staff member, briefly, during my 2 night stay - but I had no need to interact with them.
Shampoo etc not provided so bring your own.
Room is not tidied every day - so hang your towel up!
No restaurant / bar - but lots of places nearby. Definitely would recommend. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This centrally-located hotel is a great bargain find in an otherwise expensive city. The hotel is stylish, clean, and feels as if you paid more than you did. The rooms are quite small, but offer everything that you might need, incl. a comfortable bed and a great shower (daily cleaning is however not included). It was possible to purchase a voucher to get breakfast at a hotel down the street, but we opted to just take coffee and a croissant at one of the many nearby cafes. Since Bergen is a quite small, and walk-friendly town, it is difficult not to be in a good location, but Basic Hotel is in a seemingly attractive part of town, with lots of restaurants, bars, and shops. Overall, a great bargain find that I would surely stay at again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple