“Grubby”

Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Bergen
Perth, Australia
“Grubby”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I get what Basic Hotel Bergen is trying to do - no fuss no muss accommodation relatively close to Brrygen and other attractions.

Walked from Bergen train station to the hotel, was a good 10-15 minutes walk past the park and over cobblestoned roads. Not the most pleasant for pulling a wheely bag.

Checked into room and immediately spotted a stray long curly black hair on the floor in the middle of the room. Safe to say, I kept my shoes on for the rest of the stay there. Wooden floors just felt grubby and in severe need for a good vacuum and mop.

Nightclub/bar next door which was a noise issue to most TAs, but I simply turned my TV on a loud volume to compensate. Slept through the night fine.

I noted they stated cleaning is not done everyday and you have to pay a supplement if you would like additional cleaning services. But they need more regular cleaning, especially after checkouts!

Wifi worked fine. Flybussenbergen (red) bus to airport has stops walking distance from hotel but on the occasion that I tried to catch one, me and 2 other girls waited 15-20 mins past the scheduled bus arrival time before the girls decided to walk to catch the Flybussen (blue) bus to the airport instead. They were kind enough to let me follow them to the other stop. It was 100NOK vs 90NOK for the red bus. Can't say anything positive about the reliability of the red airport shuttle busses from my experience.

It was an economical stay for one night and especially in a town as expensive as Bryggen, it is a reasonably cost-effective option. Just bring house slippers

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank maymay777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2013

The room was clean but small, as was the bathroom. We understood from what the name implied that we would not be staying in a luxury hotel.The position was good.
However we were very annoyed that having booked our room about 5 months earlier, we had been given a room on the 5th floor. After paying for the room as we checked in, we were told that the elevator only goes as far as the 4th floor and we would need to walk up a flight of stairs and carry our cases! My husband is in his 70s and I have a knee injury.
The girl at the desk told us we should have requested a lower room...... but nowhere can I find any written information which advises that this hotel has this problem.
So if considering this hotel and have any sort of disability, make sure you request a room below the 5th floor. In fact, I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all as I think we were treated unfairly and without due care or consideration.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back as there is a night club next door on the street. Ear plugs are even prov...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eleanor N
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Friendly people at the reception desk and good location do not make up for the noise in the night! Never again! Just go to Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, location even better and for some more money you can actually rest at night. Basic Hotel Bergen is massively overpriced comparing to conditions it offers!

Room Tip: Just don't!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Adam S

Travellers are raving about these Bergen hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

The basic hotel was much better than what we expected
Staff was nice and friendly, the hotel is modern and conveniently located between the train and bus terminal and the charming historical Bryggen
The only problem is that there is a night club just next door. We didnt notice it on sunday, but on the monday it was really noisy,
The staff provides you with ear plugs, they will have to do something about it
Music stopped around 4 AM

• Stayed June 2013
Stjordal, Norway
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We are a family with small kids who stayed at this hotel for three nights from May 16 to 19. We knew this hotel called "Basic", as we expected us certainly not a luxury hotel - but what awaited us was some of the worst you can expect as a hotel guest.

I can start with the positives:
The hotel is very centrally located!

So we can take the rest:
We had paid extra for an extra bed for our oldest daughter. When we got in the room, there was no bedding for her there. We got it when we asked for it, and then had to put it on yourself. The extra bed was a camp bed with a nasty yellowed "mattress".

We also heard a lot of noise already on the first night, so I talked with the guy who sometimes were in the reception desk about this. He said that he would try to move us on to another hotel. After he failed the first hotels he checked for us, it was so we had young children and it was very late, we had to get the children to bed.

We arrived late to Bergen, so first night it was just to shower and get into bed. We soon found out that the soap dispenser in the shower was empty. We also found out the first night that the floors, walls and fixtures vibrated with the same beats as the music that was played at an extremely high volume on the first floor (we stayed on the third floor). The extreme noise ended about 01:30 the first two nights.

We went out early in the morning and came back at night all the days we were there. It was then never anyone at reception except for check in and out.

Then came the night no. 3, The Nightmare. The music was louder and worse than any of the previous two nights. It didn't end at 1:30, this night it kept until 04 o clock in the middle of the night!

I tried that night to make contact with the contacts that were entered on the poster which was set up in the lobby after hours (the reception closed at 16:30!). One phone number was for another hotel in the same group, and there was an automatic reply that simply said that it was closed. The second phone number was a security company in Oslo, they could only tell me that they had made several attempts to get the club on the ground floor to slow down the music - but this was obviously without success. I demanded countless times to speak to someone who represented the hotel's management, but they did unfortunately not want to be bothered - so I could not get any contact info to management. I was promised a talk with the manager the next day. I also sent an SMS to the owner of the hotel that night, and I have to date not yet received any reply from him.

So came check out and I should have that conversation I had been promised with the manager. This call I did not get. The only person I got to talk to was the guy (which sometimes stood at the front desk) who was there the day we checked in (by the way he does not speak Norwegian). He apologized, but the hotel manager did not want to talk to customers on Sundays. I was promised a deal for all the noise and ended up getting refunded half of what we had paid for the night no. 3. We had initially paid NOK 3795 (not really surprising cheap) for 3 nights and ended when up paying an average price of 1054 NOK per night for this horrible hotel. This sum does not include breakfast.

I would also mention that after after the music ended, so it took several hours before it was quiet. It is very much nightlife in the street - and there is no form of sound insulation in the windows of the hotel.

In addition, I want to mention:
* The hotel hands out free earplugs, so they KNOW that they are selling hotel rooms with a high level of noise.
* We found a black hair on the wall in the shower in the bathroom. No one in our family has black hair.
* One of the light spots on the ceiling in the room was not working.
* The water in the sink did not go down.
* Housekeeping, new towels etc are not included in the price.

All in all:
Poor housekeeping, poor quality, impossible to sleep.
Marginally lower price than other hotels.

Treat yourself a few hundred NOK more and stay at a proper hotel, then you get breakfast included in the price too!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank evlenol
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The nightclub noise from 7 pm to 3 am was atrocious even using the ear plugs. Find another place is my best advice. The noise was from the ground floor while we were located on the fourth floor.. Windows were closed even though Bergen received one of its rare and beautiful hot spells during our stay. Still the noise was unbearable. Upon arrival I wondered what the little foam things in a package on the desk were for -- the earplugs. Unless you wish to dance in your room from 7 pm to 3 am, find another place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Olympicview
london
Reviewed 27 May 2013

The Basic hotel is in a great location, close to everything including the night life ;).
We were greeted at reception and the girl was really nice, I asked for a top floor (after I read all the reviews here) and they didn't disappoint - although you should ask for a room not on the same side of the club. You could still hear the music after midnight (they did provide ear plugs), we were there saturday and sunday and luckily it was closed on the last night. It was very clean, but they give you a kettle and fridge with no coffee/tea or milk (would have been a nice touch), but we just stocked the fridge from the supermarket (heaps cheaper than dining out) - there is a coffee machine on the 2nd floor which is average. Free wifi was a bonus. Defiently recommend for a sunday night, not saturday if you are a light sleeper!

Room Tip: top floor!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple