“Excellent location, OK rooms”

Thon Hotel Bristol Bergen
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I went to Bergen with my girlfriend, and chose this hotel because of its location, and the fact we got the room for a decent price. However, with a name like "Bristol" I must admit I had expected more.

The room was rather small, but clean. There were hardly any shelving in the bathroom, and being two girls, we didn't have enough room to put our toiletters.

The breakfast was pretty crappy. They seem to think if you're vegetarian/vegan, vegetables are the solution. And one of the mornings even the soft boiled eggs were cold. I was not impressed, to say the least. They had loose tea leaves, but no tea strainers.

That being said, the location is probably the best in town, and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Overall I was happy with my stay and was pleasantly surprised with the room. The staff were great. While I had. Pleasant dinner one night in the adjacent Egon Restaurant, but the bussers were having a hard time keeping up with the clearing if tables at breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Let me start with a positive. Thon service staff are generally extremely friendly and helpful. No complaints there.

But the concept is terrible. It's as if they try to squeeze as much out of their buildings by building the tiniest rooms and tiniest bathrooms they could possibly get away with. I paid almost €200 for a room that was so small they could only fit one bed stand on one side of the bed. The other side was pushed against the wall.

The shower was so tiny that you could barely turn around while showering. And mind you, I'm on the small side. It didn't help that the ceiling in the shower was very low. I could easily touch it.

And somehow the rooms tend to have poor noise insulation. Which means that even with the windows closed you could hear street noise. When I was there, I had to endure a live concert blaring till almost 2am. Through my closed windows.

And the breakfast was another disappointment. The space was cramped and the food took a long time to be replenished. The selection was also quite limited.

Overall, it seems that Thon's city hotels (they have three tiers) are really budget hotel/motel standard, but are priced above what they really are. Go somewhere else or only go here if you get a really cheap rate.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pinkdonutsg
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Coming in by train, it was only about a 15-minute walk dragging our bags, to this hotel just up the hill from the heart of Bergen (the Bryggen Waterfront). Leaving by plane, it is less than a 5-minute walk down the square to the airport bus. Torgalmenningen Square is fun during the day, with lots of shops, eating places, and street acts. The breakfast, which comes with the room, is downstairs in a Norwegian-style room. This huge buffet features almost anything, especially European-oriented, you might want. There are a variety of fresh-baked breads, all kinds of cheeses and cold meats, as well as pickled herring, salmon, and other delicacies. A great start to the day - which lasted us until dinner.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the street (most of them) it can be a bit noisy at night in the summer. The ea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We paid 2200 NOK per night, which is very overpriced. I guess the reason was the Bergenfest and the busy weekend, but anyway. The rooms are OK, but no air-conditioning so we had to leave the window open during the night, and it was quite noisy. The iron in the room did not work. The breakfast buffet suffered a lot from a lot from food that was emptied, and not filled up. We had no more bread, eggs, tea water and cups/plates. A lot of guests were complaining in the breakfast area about missing food. The location is however great, and the receptionist were very helpful and service minded.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel was excellently located in the centre of Bergen. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the street. With the aid of ear plugs and eyemasks we had a good night’s sleep although were awakened early by the emptying of the bins. We heard that some guests were disturbed by the noise of youngsters outside the MacDonald’s that was below the hotel on the corner adjacent to the main street but we heard nothing of that. There was also a resident beggar just outside the hotel. The breakfast was fine the usual tasty selection although it was served in the restaurant used for evening meals and was not really suitable being a bit cramped with tables hidden in alcoves etc.

Room Tip: on front away from McDonalds
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is in the heart of Bergen city centre, location couldn't be better. Other positive things were the very helpful staff and the cleanliness both in rooms and public areas. But when entering the room I was very surprised. The room was really tiny (I had a single room, double rooms may be much better). There were no place but the floor to put my luggage, but then I had to be very careful not to stumble over it on my way out of bed. The (single) bed was small and the pillow very hard. There is no electric kettle in the room to make a cup of tea or coffee. The room had a small balcony, though, where I guess it will be very pleasant to spend the afternoon on a warm summer day. Breakfast is ok, but rather modest. If you want a cappuccino or espresso, you pay extra. We booked very early and got a fair price, but regular prices are rather high taking the standard into consideration. This hotel is fine for those more concerned about location than comfort, but I will choose another one the next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business