“A very nice hotel experience”
Review of Scandic Strand

Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
Stockholm, Sweden
“A very nice hotel experience”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed here for three nights in a "Superior extra" room during a business trip.
The room was great: large, warm and with an amazing postcard view of the harbor.

Very friendly and helpful staff, great breakfast buffé and nice snacks in "mini bar" at reception.

The only down side is the very slow internet connection which made it difficult for me to keep up with my work while at the hotel. I was surprised that a top hotel which, most likely have many business guests, doesn't have a better network.

Room Tip: I would recommend those who can afford it to book a "Superior extra" room, which is a larg...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank A E
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyd your stay in one of our superior extra rooms! We are aware that some places in the building the internet connection is sometimes a bit slow. This is due to the building construction and our IT-manager is working on it.

Thank you for all your nice comments on the view, our staff and the breakfast buffet!

Hope to see you back one day!

Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Detroit
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Agree with all of the reviews-great location but hotel can stand some updating. Water side rooms can be noisy at night since you are above market. Back side of hotel is quieter but you lose the view. Breakfast served with room were quite good.

Room Tip: Water side can be noisy at night--back side is quieter.
Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you for your review!

Good to hear that you liked our great location! We hope to start working on our few remaining rooms this winter, so there is a plan:)

Hope you have a great fall - welcome back to Bergen and Scandic Strand!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel is right in the centre of Bergen opposite the tourist information. It was about a 2 minute walk from where we had to get our boat for our early morning cruise. The room was a nice size and had a good sized bathroom. There was a good selection of food for breakfast. There was free hot drinks all day which is good if you end up in Bergen on rainy day like we did.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FromLondon99
Thank you for your review!

We’re really glad you liked it here and that you enjoyed the breakfast and our good location.

Hope to see you again some time!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Three nights over the weekend, business and pleasure. Great central location, wonderful views from fourth floor front facing room. friendly staff, excellent breakfast, wide choice from 'full English' to norwegian pickled. Front room gave access to Lively nightlife but double glazing can shut this out if required. simply furnished but very comfortable.would come back, good value for Norwegian prices.

Room Tip: Third floor upwards gives a good view of world heritage site from the front, below view partialy obs...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pritchaj
Thank you for your review!

We are thrilled to hear that you liked it here! Than you for taking time to write the review - we really appreciate it.

Hope to see you again!

Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was staying here for business and was delighted with the location, it is right at the harbour, and within a couple minutes of walking you can reach either all the shops or go hiking on Fjellvien, whatever you prefer! I had a single room where the toilet wasn't flushing too well, the showers thermostat was completely off and the fridge had formed a little damp puddle on the floor but the view was really nice (if you ignore the building across the street from the hotel). Wifi didn't really work in my room, the signal was so weak that my phone kept losing it but at least it was included. Breakfast was nice, even though a bit crowded as the area where the food is is rather small and narrow making it a bit hard for both the staff and all the hungry visitors moving around. This was, however, included as well and it was delicious. Even with the small glitches I enjoyed my stay just fine, I was however a bit surprised when the guy at the reception refused to call me a cab to the airport, telling me to take a bus instead... This was probably due to the rain and him therefore deeming the bus faster, but rain is something Bergen should be somewhat used to... The bus leaves from right in front of the hotel so this is of course a good way to get to the airport if you don't want to splash out on a cab.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Linda N
Thank you for your review!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, even with the small glitches you mention. Hopefully my colleague at the front desk ment well, thinking the airport bus is cheaper and so on.. but yes; the guests should be allowed to make their own choice..

Hope to see you back one day!

Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My rating would be a 3.5 but I will give a 4 just because we all became rather fond of this elderly and kind of quirky downtown hotel looking out onto the Tourist Center and the harbor. The rooms have names, for example. The elevator is old and tiny and a wee bit wheezy. Lots of pretty woodwork. It reminded me of the old downtown hotels in the American Midwest - and I am saying that in a positive way.

We had a large third floor room to accommodate four of us so there was plenty of room and the bathroom was sizable. All very clean. I don't know if it had been renovated or not. Wifi worked pretty well. One bed was on a pullout couch and it left me a little stiff the next morning. Not much view since our room looked out almost directly into the ugly Tourist Center blocking the view of the harbor. I think the floor of the room was wooden, which we liked, too.

The main problem our first night was that we had to leave the windows open because of the room's stuffiness and the result was a lot of noise that kept my daughter up nearly all night. The next night we closed the windows and that helped a lot, though it was a little too warm.
Excellent, large breakfast that helped offset the high cost (in US dollars) of the room; no problems with shortages and the wait staff was working very hard throughout the keep up. A very pleasant breakfast room facing out on to the harbor.

The best aspect of this hotel is the location, within walking distance to all the interesting sights of Bergen, the bus from the airport and restaurants. But a tip - the tourist gouging prices in the fish market for a plate of food to eat on a picnic bench are ridiculous; you can get a full and better meal in the restaurants that costs the same!

Spend some time wandering around Bergen. A wonderful little city, if expensive, like all of Norway.

Room Tip: Ask to face away from the harbor if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review!

We are thrilled to hear that you became rather fond of our hotel. The original part of the hotel was buildt in 1928 so the hotel has a long, rare and really interesting history and background. Lots of things has changed since the start but one main thing is the same; the excellent location.

Thank you for all your nice comments - we really appreciate it!

Hope you all have a great fall.

Stavanger
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed here just after having been to their sister hotel Neptun. Location is spot on.! I had a non-renovated room, which was a little bit dark and worn out. Breakfast had some impressive things about it, see my review from Neptun as it was quite similar. However, they too struggled to refill empty selection up to one hour before the end of breakfast hours. In addition, they had less variety than Neptun. Reception staff was friendly. Would probably have a higher rating if the room was renovated, which I do understand is an ongoing process. Having already ordered my next Bergen visit, I'm happy to have chosen Neptun and not Strand, but would consider them again in the future.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room, I looked into one and it seemed a lot better than the old I had.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our central location - best in town:) It also nice to hear that you like our siste hotel, Scandic Neptun.

Welcome back to Scandic Hotels in Bergen!!