“Great location and comfy room”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of First Hotel Marin

Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
West Sussex
“Great location and comfy room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and it is in a great location - very near the fish market and the old buildings.

The hotel room was comfortable and clean although the general decor around the whole place could do with a refresh. Plentiful buffet breakfast each morning.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Dear Leopards_cheetahs,

Thank you for the great review! We will start a soft renovation this fall. Welcome back to experience us!

First Hotel Marin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Convenient location. Good atmosphere. Reasonable accommodation. Dinner in bar area, my wife and I both had rack of lamb, compliments to the chef – delicious. Staff very polite and helpful. An enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Richmojp,

Thanks for the great review. For your information, we have a new menu in our restaurant now, more Scandinavian dishes. We hope you will be able to come back one day and try it.

Best Regards

Bremen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We checked in the hotel in a family room and found it a great place.
there is a separate bedroom with double bed, a bathroom with bad, shower, 2 sinks and the toilet and then you have the huge living/sleeping place with a double bed and comfortable seats.

The beds are comfortable and good size (not the small ones we often found in other places).

The location of this hotel is very convenient. Hotel has a flyer with an app about Oslo by the locals but we did not have the time to check it out.

Unfortunately around 2 am the fire alarm went off and we found ourselves awake, getting dressed and very sleepy. Luckily it was a false alarm but the night was broken and we did not feel too well getting up in the morning.

Maybe not a bad idea if management had offered their awaken customers a comforting little goodnight drink.

Breakfast was not busy at all. The CD however got stuck every other song. A minor thing but probably a good thing to change it.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Dear Biki-ikke,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Sorry about the fire alarm, somebody punched the wrong button. The idea about a goodnight drink is good and I will ensure this is something we will offer in the future - thanks!

We hope to see you again in the future. If so, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Derbyshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

I recently stayed 7 nights in room 418 at the Marin. I loved my room, a double that I occupied alone. There was plenty of space in the bedroom, the bathroom being on the smaller side but perfectly adequate. Toiletries were provided, though the hotel towels were quite small. The room looked out towards the cathedral and the town with good views of the funicular and cablecar. There was a TV and minibar but one thing I would have liked in the room would have been a small safe for valuables and money etc. This is the first hotel that I have stayed in for a long time that hadnt provided a safe. I was there just before midsummers day so the nights were short and it was light till very late. But the room had good curtains that blacked out the light completely which was excellent. I needed the windows open at night as the weather was good and I was not disturbed by noise outside until the last night I was there (Saturday) when the noise went on until after 3am. However I did have earplugs with me and found them useful. Breasfast times I found to be chaotic at week ends and on days when large groups were going on early excursions. Returning to the buffet meant that my place at the table was sometimes lost if the waitress cleared away in the short time I was gone. I tried leaving my coat on the back of the chair to try and prevent this. Depending on where you ended up sitting in the restaurant, it was quite a walk to the breakfast buffet and some days it seemed like there was a constant parade of people carrying breakfast. But the choice of food was good. The location of the Marin couldnt be better. Right at the heart of Bryggen and one minute to the seafront. Also the funicular was only a couple of minutes away and I spent many evenings up at the top watching the lovely sunsets. when I return to Bergen I will be staying at the Marin.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
Dear Charleyhorse_9,

Thank you so much for the great review!
I would like to comment on a few things and one of them is in regards to safe in the rooms. It is correct we do not have this in our rooms, however, we do have safe storage in our back office so it would be possible to keep your valuables safe there. I understand this is not as flexible and comfortable as a safe in the room which is something we will bring back to the owner/landlord before a possible renovation.
Earplugs are really nice to have and we also sell some at the front desk for those who hasn't brought their own.

In regards to your comments about breakfast we do have this problem every now and then during high season when all large groups are leaving at the same time. However, we do usually inform our individual guests when the best time to have breakfast is. If you haven't been given this information - ask us next time.

Thanks again and welcome back.

Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Dusty flores in the room, slow service and bad bad food in the restaurant. ALMOST UNEATABLE

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Wengs
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear Wengs,

Thank you for reporting on your last stay with us. Considering your feedback I do hope you also told us about these issues when you where here?
If not I hope you will contact me so I can get more details and provide a compensation as we do not want to be perceived as you describe us. We are constantly looking for improvement and depend on detailed feedback.

Please contact us!

First Hotel Marin

Travellers are raving about these Bergen hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

This hotel is one i wont forget soon.. checking in after a long day visit the room. And there the walls are full of stains from wine and suitcases. The later is probably because the room is so small. We go down to the reception and we get a new room without wine stains but still dirty walls and some of the interior was broken like hall light and lists. Night time bring air plugs because it can get loud if you have your windows open.

This is one of the more expensive hotels in Bergen, none the less the service is mediocre and its quite worn down.

The bar restaurant was better then I had imagined so at least something was good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Razars
Dear Razars,

Thank you for giving us feedback on your stay last year.
Since you stayed with us we have had a thorough cleaning of all rooms from top to bottom.
The stains from the suitcases are very hard to remove, however, we are starting painting our rooms this fall.
In regards to your comment about the size of the room I am surprised as we have some of the largest rooms of all hotels in Bergen.
Being a city hotel does involve some street noise. We do have rooms faced towards the back yard so please request one of those for a more quiet night.

We do hope you will consider us again sometimes. Our rates vary from day to day so you will be able to get a good deal.

Baton Rouge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Location is within easy walking distance to most things in the city.
Room was very clean and well maintained. Beds were comfortable. Showers had great pressure, and great variation in water temp.
Breakfast included with the room was easy and fast. Nothing extraordinary, but it was a solid breakfast.
Staff was friendly and helpful (all English speaking as most of Bergen).
The only complaint: we were on the 3rd floor facing the harbor, and there was street noise (yelling, laughing, etc...). Didn't really bother us, but beware if it bugs you.

• Stayed June 2011