“Prime location in a beautiful city”
Review of First Hotel Marin

First Hotel Marin
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
Oslo, Norway
“Prime location in a beautiful city”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Has a very comfort feel through out the hotel, with brown stone intergreated several places.
Very helpfull staff with a high service level.
I arrived at the Hotel 5 hours before Check in. But I was offered a cup of coffee, they sent up the cleaning crew, and 45 min later I could check in much earlier than I was supposed to.
The room was spotless, and might be one of the nices hotel rooms I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbor
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at the hotel menu times during the last 5+ years, and I enjoy coming back. The hotel is situated right in best part of Bergen, close to Bryggen, the sea and the city center. The rooms are generally fine with good bathrooms. Nothing fancy, but good value for money. The staff is mostly friendly and helpful in a typical Norwegian reserved style.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jens_Anne-Grete
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Dear Anne-Grete,

Thanks! Always happy to have you as our guest! Come back soon :)

Best Regards

Valdez, Alaska
Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

The First Hotel Marin is located amidst all the action in Bergen. They do a quality breakfast buffet, with a lot of variety. The rooms are clean, and feature modern amenities while preserving Old World charm. The beds are somewhat uncomfortable... this may keep me away in the future.

The staff is average and sometimes less than capable. Case in point: After a 22 hours of travel, I discovered a plumbing issue. I contacted the staff and waited. I eventually used a small tool kit that travels with me to fix the problem.

The bathrooms are clean with heated floors and towel rack. I had to crack the window to keep the bathroom from turning my room into a sauna, even after turning the heat down to nothing. Take care getting in and out of the shower. It is a high step in and out, the tube is slippery, and the heated (hot) towel rack is the only thing to hold on to.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear AmericanOdyssey,

Thank you! And for your information we are about to order new lay over mattresses for all beds so by next time it will be comfy beds. We are also looking into the the slippery floor/bath tubs so during renovation this will be fixed.

Hope to see you again soon.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Great location, near fish market and a good breakfast. But, that is it.

The staff is no very polite and we had some problems in the reception. They put us in a single bed room. We had to change to another room, but just a after some discussion.

The place is very old and breakfast crowded early in the morning.

Very expensive, as many other places in Bergen.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank regis f
Dear regis f,

Thanks for your feedback. Obviously, this should not happen, it might be that the reservation was originally for 1 person. We only have 8 single rooms so most of our guests do get a double/twin room.
Hope you had a good night sleep and that we see you again soon.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The night club Exodus is right across the street... I almost felt like the party was in my own room. The hotel is old and run down - better windows could probably have kept some of the noise out. And avoid the receptionists if you can - their service level is every bit as poor as the previous reviews indicate... To top it of, my friend was charged twice for her room - and the credit was made to my card, not hers... I'm never staying at this hotel again, and I'm also warning all my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SisselKA
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear SisselKA,

I am sorry you have had this experience when staying with us.
The night club is unfortunately not much we can do about, however, we always try to place our guests away from that street to the extent possible.

About the receptionists: I would like to hear more specifics. Being charged twice is not something that should happen, however, we sort that out immediately.

Nan-Birthe Os

Travellers are raving about these Bergen hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Unfortunately i was booked in this terrible hotel by my client, a local company, and I knew I should have walked away!!
I was flying in very late at night and got to check in at passed midnight only to be told that my room was 'accidently' given to someone else and that the only room they had available was not their best one. Well it wasn't!! The room had NO WINDOWS nor light. It wasz noisy and the TV did not work. First thing in the morning I was promised that my room would be changed for a much better one and that my bags would have been moved from my room to the new one. Well, they 'kind of forgotten' to change the room and although my bags were moved out of the room they were dumped on the floor at the back room of reception!!!
Of course I complained and was told that there was no other room available beside the filthy windowsless one I stayed into the night before. I then had to complain more and loudly only to catch the attention of the 'desk manager' who did not know what was goign on.
Immediately my room was changed and by miracle my bags appeared from teh filthy floor and got taken to the new room.
Pity that the new room had a broken window which would not close fully and inexistent curtains which in Norway during summer are a must have!!!
The shower in the morning didnt have any hot water so I just left the hotel and that was it.
My advice is DO NOT GO THERE!!!

Room Tip: Do not go there, book yourself anywhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank smoula01
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Smoula01,

Thank you for your review. I must ensure you that this is not common practise. Firstly, it seems the hotel has been overbooked, which is something we always try to avoid, however, it seems you have gotten a room that was not really for sale that night. Reception staff should not have promised something without follow up, but as I understand the Front Office Manager has already been involved and therefore the staff in question has been notified of what service level we would like to have.

Secondly, we have started a renovation of the hotel and will improve all the physical things you have mentioned.

Thank you again.

Nan-Birthe Os Gangdal
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Well placed for the centre of Bergen. Stayed on a B&B basis, but let down by the buffet breakfast. Orange juice runs out, bacon burnt, and bread not hygenically presented - everybody holds it with their hands to cut it - all other hotels provide napkins for that purpose.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Discerning74,

I am sorry to hear the breakfast run empty on things. This should not happen. All your precise feedback has been forwarded to the breakfast manager.

Nan-Birthe Os Gangdal