“High expectations, centrally located, poor standards” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of First Hotel Marin

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
First Hotel Marin
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
London, United Kingdom
“High expectations, centrally located, poor standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here en route home back to London from a huge arctic Birthday trip that my partner had treated me too. Our last ( winter) trip to Bergen was about 10 years ago and we loved it ,so, it was a lovely surprise to return. Look, this hotel is centrally located in the old part of Bergen and just in the Bryggen ( quay),but, really, poor customer care and standards generally and in great need of tlc ( care and attention.

The staff could careless and were really unhelpful and the place was in need of proper management. I really felt for my partner who'd put so much thought, time and energy into this trip and everything had been so brilliant and perfect. When someone you love puts so much into planning a special trip or event - there's quite a bit of emotion bound up in it. We still enjoyed our overnight trip to Bergen, because it's such a fabulous place, but, we would not recommend staying here at all.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

On the positive side: a good location and a varied breasfast.
On the negative side: fairly old interiors; my floor and room smelled to cigarettes; I had to go through a set of stairs to get to the elevator, which is not very convenient when you have heavy luggage; my bed was small; I arrived on a Sunday late in the evening and the computer system didn't work, so it took the receptionist about 15 minutes to give me my room (why wasn't it ready upon my arrival?!?).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Oakham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stayed 2 nights as part of a Hurtigruten package and so was chosen for us. It is situated just off the Bryggen (quay) near the old part of Bergen and within easy reach of the many tourist attractions, shops, restaurants, bars and the Tourist Office. Following Trip Adviser comments, we requested a room on a higher floor and were given a very quiet one on the 4th floor, at the side of the building with a limited harbour view. A large-ish room, it contained double bed, wardrobe, table, coffee table, 2 armchairs and 2 other chairs, tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge. The ensuite bathroom had a bath with shower, and a tiled floor with no bath mat. The floor in the bedroom was wooden, with no mats, and it showed signs of being well used as did the furnishngs e.g. stained lampshade, burn marks on the table, scuffs on the walls, scratches and chips on the furniture. The bed and pillows were rather soft for us. Despite these remarks, we found the room comfortable and clean. The breakfast was very good included juices, cereals, breads, cold meats, pate, fish, fresh fruit etc.

Room Tip: See other review comments.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ge0rgiana
MonicaSelvik, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear ge0rgiana,

Thank you very much for reviewing First Hotel Marin. We will pay close attention to your comments for improvement, and we also wish to thank you for letting us which areas we do well and where to improve.I am happy to announce that we since November-13 started a soft renovation and have already finished 3 floors. The renovatotion will include total touch up of all floors, rooms and public areas and will be finished at the latest February/March 2014.

Thank you for making us better!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Very good location minutes from Bryggen waterfont and Floyen fenicular station.Very large family room consisting of two bedrooms and lounge area, we found this perfect for sharing with our two teenage children.good sized bathroom with toiletries provided.Good breakfast,plenty of choice from cooked to cold meat cheeses etc.Ten minutes walk to the train station was very convenient, the train journey to Oslo was amazing,its worth booking the comfort carriage just for the free tea and coffee en route, as everything in Norway is hideously expensive, two coffees two hot chocolates and a muffin cost 25 pounds locally! One thing to point out is that everything in Bergen was closed on Sunday,even the small supermarkets.Dont miss going up the floyen mountain, the view is incredible,and take as muuch food out from breakfast as you can !

Room Tip: Family room was huge.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ozzyprice
Valencia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

This hotel stands out for being located next to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Bryggen, right in the city center and across the road from the fish market. Location wise, it really can't get any better. We stayed in the rooftop suite and had some great views over the bay. The suite was L-shaped and very spacious. There are lots of books throughout the hotel and the lobby is nicely decorated. Breakfast was delicious. We went downstairs at the first hour and there was plenty of food and lots of variety to choose from. We would love to stay here again next time we visit Bergen.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

I was there on my wedding night and day before. We odered honeymoon decoration but that included only one bottle of wine and small plate of fruits. Nothing else. No roses, no bed decoration. The room I was night before my wedding had only 10 C when I arrived and was very humide. My mother got not cleaned room at all, there was still durty bed and carbidge not taken out. Then they changed her room without any sorry. New room had no mini bar at the room, on the TV was welcome message with wrong name (some man) Finally my 2 days golden watch got stolen from the room. Not even sorry from the hotel side. I could give them - points if possible.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Estonienne27
ManagementFHMarin, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Estonienne27,

Thank you for your feedback. I talked to your husband right before Christmas saying how sorry I was for what had happend. We have a standard for our wedding package and there is no reason why this should not be delivered. However, we agreed he would send me an e-mail with information, but has not yet received anything. Please contact me at nan-birthe.os@firsthotels.no or on the phone to the hotel so that we can find out what has happend internally to prevent this from ever happen again. Of course, we also would like to compensate you for not getting what you paid for.

Yours Sincerely

Nan-Birthe Os Gangdal

Travellers are raving about these Bergen hotels

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

Has a very comfort feel through out the hotel, with brown stone intergreated several places.
Very helpfull staff with a high service level.
I arrived at the Hotel 5 hours before Check in. But I was offered a cup of coffee, they sent up the cleaning crew, and 45 min later I could check in much earlier than I was supposed to.
The room was spotless, and might be one of the nices hotel rooms I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbor
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business