“A grand hotel”

Grand Hotel Terminus
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
“A grand hotel”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed here after flying into Bergen, for one night before renting a car to drive around the fjords and then one night before flying out. Our room was a standard one for our first night but we were given an end-of-corridor suite for the last night for the same price (booked through Otel). We chose the hotel because the price and location seemed right. The price is definitely good value (for Norway) and the location great, just a couple of minutes walk from the Airport shuttle bus stops.
The hotel has character, unlike any other, read previous comments by other reviewers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 4 October 2012

You always come back to the places where you were happy... Some years ago I stayed in Grand Terminus, and loved its old decadent style, altough decadence impressed me more negatively... Now, things have changed, I believe the hotel has changed management (they are together with Augustin, a very nice hotel in Bergen also) and things are bettter.

My room was confortable, simple and practic (like all Norwegian goods), breakfast is simple but with quality, location is excellent. Keep on the good work!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stay for 1 night, the hotel looks a bit old but we like the classic stylish and its beautiful decoration. Only a minor things about the design in the room, the modern's style chandelier inside our room and bed sheet messed up the beauty of this hotel.

Room Tip: A bit far from most of the attractions, but by walking is possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Geelong
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stayed here for one night before catching the train to Oslo on 26 Sep 2012. It is in a great position right across fro the train station. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good. I highly recommend this lovely old hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I originally chose this hotel for our stay in Bergen because it looked rather nice on the Internet and was available for a special advance rate, meaning that we could book a spacious double deluxe room for only NOK 1210 per night, considerably cheaper than the other hotels in the city which appeared to be of a similar quality. According to their website, there are a limited number of these advanced bookings available. They are certainly well worth seeking out.

We decided to return our hire car to the airport after checking in as, although parking is available at the hotel, it is very expensive (in line with other Bergen hotels). Besides, you don't really need the use of a car as Bergen tends to be an easily walkable city. The airport Flybuss is only NOK 100 each and takes you to the nearby Bergen Busstasjon/Storsenter (shopping centre) bus stop, only a few minutes walk away. Otherwise, the hotel is next door to the railway station for those arriving by train. It is also convenient for walking to the city centre, taking only around 5 to 10 minutes to reach most central places.

The building is indeed rather grand. I understand that it was frequented by wealthy visitors during its history and you can still appreciate the dramatic grandeur of the entrance lobby and public rooms, particularly the magnificent dining room. All of this gives you the impression that you are staying somewhere a bit special.

Staff at the reception desk were most helpful and provided us with a booklet and map of the city, pointing out where the main attractions were located. Just to the left of the desk is a touchscreen computer terminal which is set up to allow you to order a taxi (for now or a later date) online. Make sure that you have a pen and paper if you do so as you will need to note down the booking reference number.

Our room was located on the 6th floor and was very spacious and rather stylishly furnished. As well as a huge and pretty comfortable bed, there was a desk and chair, widescreen TV, seating area with 3-seater sofa, 2 chairs and a coffee table, a wardrobe, mini bar, safe and chest of drawers. Free wi-fi is also included and the connection worked well for us, although there is also a little room on the left hand side of the entrance lobby which contains 2 computers with internet access for the use of guests. The bathroom contained a bath with an overhead shower.

Whilst we experienced peaceful nights with little to no noise for the Wednesday and Thursday night, we were kept awake by the couple next door on the Friday night who talked and laughed very loudly and incessantly (quite literally non-stop) from 4am until 7.15am. I'd thought that the soundproofing between rooms was fine until then. However, there appeared to be a surprising lack of noise from the streets outside, which was good.

The only other problem we experienced was the lack of water pressure when filling the bath, meaning that it took a long time. The plug was not watertight and the water slowly leaked out and needs topping up regularly if you like to luxuriate in the bathtub for half an hour or so, like me. My husband prefers showers and, whilst he thought the water pressure wasn't perfect, he didn't experience so much of a problem with it as I did for my baths.

A buffet breakfast is included in the price and this is taken in the beautiful dining room, accessed via a small corridor to the right of the lifts. We found it to be of excellent quality, particularly enjoying the little chocolate cookies which, sadly, only appeared once during our stay. The hot food was kept hot and there was a very good choice of other items.

Tea, coffee and water is available freely throughout the day from the room opposite reception. It was a delight to find loose leaf tea available, including my favourite Gunpowder Tea, in addition to the usual teabags.

It is possible to choose from a reasonably priced menu in the Whisky Bar if you wish to take your evening meal at the hotel. However, we didn't do this so I can't comment on the quality.

Despite the 2 minor glitches of the noise from the room next door on the Friday night and the variable water pressure for the bath, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and definitely plan to return for our next visit to Bergen.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tasmanian-wolf
Kfar saba, israel
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed for two nights.
The hotel loby has a vary ancient look , and you can make yourself coffee or tea in loby.
The location is good ( a cross from
The train station, and walking distance of the center.
The food was pretty good.
On the first night the hotel was crowded ( i guess there was a convention)
The parking cost us 125 kr for 24h.
Overall it was a positive stay

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I had one night at this hotel and have to say it was far too short. I caught a shuttle bus from the airport which cost 100 NOK one way and dropped me off near the train station. It was less than only a five minute walk to the hotel. The hotel is located beside the main train station (left hand side if facing the entrance from outside) which is perfect if you are doing the Norway in a Nutshell tour.

The check in staff were extremely friendly and helpful and I was upgraded from the standard room I had booked. My room was on the fifth floor from memory, overlooking the train station and was exceptionally large with a great bed, bright décor and a good sized bathroom. Certainly nothing to complain about.

I am not sure of the exact history of the hotel but imagine it to be from a bygone era when train travel ruled and everything centred around the station itself. Today the centre of town is clearly around the waterfront but the hotel itself has lost nothing in its elegance and feel being very spacious and as the name suggests, grand. Opposite reception is a wonderful bar and reading room area whilst the dining room is very large and bright with an outstanding range of foods to choose from with an excellent selection of hot and cold dishes, cereals, juices, pastries and fruit.

The hotel is located 10 to 15 mins walk from the waterfront and can be reached via a beautiful park and lake so the walk is certainly most enjoyable. Bergen itself is stunning and I am very please I cancelled my night in Oslo to see Bergen after a friend suggested it is a lot nicer. The trip up the mountain in the Funicular/cable car is also great with a wonderful view of the city below. There are numerous restaurants doted along the harbour front.

I would like to return to Bergen and spend more time there and wouldn’t hesitate to stay at this hotel again. Highly recommended!

I would like to drop a note about the Norway in a Nutshell tour. I booked a one way ticket on the tour from Bergen back to Oslo. It leaves from the train station opposite the hotel but as the ticket notes you must get your ticket from the collection point prior to boarding the train. For some reason I was under the misguided idea that it was very much a guided tour. I was quite wrong and in fact it is a self guided day which I found a little confusing not having much more than a vague idea of the itinerary. I was also disappointed in the fact I had to have my luggage with me the whole time except on the Fjord tour and bus trip back to Voss. I thought it would be dropped off at a central point and would somehow follow you and be collected towards or at the end of the day. Not so. The tour is excellent if you want to get an impression of the natural wonders of Norway in a short period of time. There didn’t seem to be many doing the tour solo like me with the majority travelling in large organised groups without luggage at all. Perhaps that would have been better.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo