“Old world Charm”

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
Bury Lancs
“Old world Charm”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stated at the hotel a couple of weeks ago, as others have said, it was ideally situated across from the rail and bus stations, but in a quiet street, the outside is a good indication of that old world charm as is the entrance and main public areas, it had an air of peace and quiet. I found the staff welcoming and always helpful with any information I needed when searching for the bus or attractions, the room was pleasant, personally I would of preferred air con as the weather was very warm during my stay, but it was not to oppressive, the bathroom was sufficient for my needs, although I was there on my own I had a double bed that was extremely comfortable, there was a decent sized electronic safe, that would take all my documents and camera, plus was free, as others have said there was free Wi FI throughout the hotel, I did struggle with the lack of space to put my clothing, there was a fridge with drinks and snacks initially I felt they were expensive until I compared with other places in Bergen. I found a good selection of food at breakfast in a pleasant room with character, generally the staff were good at clearing tables but on my first morning I went to get some bread and unfortunately somebody cleared my table whilst I was gone, a little odd as I had just put down a full mug of coffee, maybe my friends had been in touch and asked that my consumption be restricted LOL, otherwise very good, the bar as others said had free tea and coffee, I found it a peaceful relaxed place to spend time in, I did not have a meal in the hotel but the food I saw was good portions pleasantly presented. I did not use the other facilities, but that was my choice, a hotel I would happily return to, Oh must just say for others not used to this that the bedroom doors open out into the corridor, just be careful of others walking down the passage, the hotel was close enough to the town and and harbour whilst still peaceful and quiet.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue remeber to ask for a room higher up at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ahappyTog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lahaina, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel is perfectly located to easily walk anywhere. Clean updated rooms with everything you need to be comfortable. Hung up my stuff in the closet, which was small, but adequate. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the buffet breakfast was. Traditional build your own open faced sandwich options, good quality, and hot dishes as well. I enjoyed eggs, sausage, potatoes with a smoothie, juice and coffee! A french press was a nice touch. I made use of the free wifi in the whiskey lounge, over 800 varieties! I would definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Located very close to the train and bus station. The old world charm go great with the modern upgraded bathrooms. The breakfast which is included is very good with excellant cheeses and bread.
The hotel has retained it's old word charm and it blends well with the upgraded bathrooms.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Having never been to Bergen before, finding a hotel close to the train station was reassuring (literally across the street). Granted, once acclimated to the city, you realize how small it is and there are likely other hotels to consider. This hotel was top notch. Room was spacious to accomodate a triple. We had two adults and one teenager. Breakfast was included and it was much more than a traditional "continental" breakfast. Didn't have any other meals, but menu didn't look out of line with other Norway prices (keeping in mind that Norway is VERY expensive). We did have one night where a group of party goers game to the room adjacent to ours and sang pretty loudly for about an hour, but that could happen just about anywhere.

Room Tip: Street noise from late nighters can be an issue. If this a concern of yours, try to get a room not f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here this weekend on a quick break. The hotel building is stunning from the reception, the staircases and the whisky bar it is all beautiful and rather charming.

Location: Located opposite the train station and about 200m from the main bus station it is very easy to get to. The bus from the airport stops about 200m away. To get the the attractions of Bergen is a short 10 min walk to the Fish Market and Bryggen.

Rooms: The rooms are very comfortable but starting to look a bit dated. They're well appointed but thinks like the ceiling tiles in the bathroom look out of place and tired and the fixtures also look a bit old and worn. Nothing serious but it just getting to the point of needing to be redone.

Sleep: I did n't sleep well here at all though this is mostly a function of the fact is it located next to the station. The windows are single glazed and so any noise comes straight through. We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night both of which the hotel was holding a function or wedding. Whilst I did n't notice any noise from inside the hotel I did notice the guest leaving and people milling about until 2am. Better glazing would help. The beds are comfy though. You could ask for a room facing away from the road to help improve this.

Service: The staff at the hotel we very friendly and helpful.

Don't miss the Whisky it's a lovely place to sit, has a huge array (around 300 I think) of Whisky and complimentary tea and coffee all day.

Would I stay again: I'd give it one more try in a room facing away from the road.

Room Tip: High up and facing away from the station
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank disestablishman
Berkshire
Reviewed 30 June 2013

A hotel just steps away from central station conjures up images of being in a noisy messy place.

This couldn't be more wrong in Bergen, it is still a major city, but the area is clean and close to the city. A 15 min walk through interesting streets and parks takes you to all main places. An hour or so allows you to cover the city sights on foot.

The Grand Terminus is well described in earlier reviews. Our room price was lower than most similar in Bergen and in other Norway cities when I was looking, but they gave us a clean, good sized room, excellent bathroom and benefits that would cost much more in London hotel.

Prior to arriving, the emails reminding me of our booking and outlining the facilities, including the fitness, sauna, kitchen, laundry and complimentary all day tea & coffee, were a welcome touch.

Efficient English speaking reception staff and swift lifts gave us a easy welcome. The room was comfortable and quiet, with a view that was interesting though not special.

The free WiFi worked well and seemed to be popular. The breakfast was as special as others have reported, I particularly enjoyed the "mix your own muesli" and marinaded herring, but sausage, scrambled egg and herb sauteed potatoes were available too. Cafetieres were available to take some coffee to our table and the management did have the 'family' touch that their brochure mentions.

Coach parties for lunch, and conference events were easily absorbed in the large dining and reception rooms, it is a relaxing place to stay or be.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Portugal
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Nice historical hotel, with good location close to the train station and walking distance to Bryggen, fishmarket and all main attractions in Bergen. It has a lovely whisky bar/reading room, with an early 20th century feel to it. In this same room there is complimentary coffee and tea, and fruit.
The hotel has a small library and free computer, as well as wi-fi.
There are bikes for rental and sauna is included in the room rate. Breakfast is very good, excellent local products.
This is the hotel where the explorer Amundsen gathered with the team that would be lost forever in a rescue attempt in the Artic! And at the hotel reception there is a lovely book about this event and the story of the hotel.
The only thing we didn't like: information about the hotel facilities is not enough - you have to guess or ask at reception to know that you have to switch on the sauna yourself and pre-heat it for 20 minutes!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Abetarda
Signe R, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Terminus, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for your response regarding your stay at Grand Terminus!

We are very proud of our history with Roald Amundsen.
Regarding the sauna, we will off course corporate the instructions in our hotel facilites brochure!

Hope to see you again at the Grand Terminus!

Best regards,