“Beautiful, historical and clean in a great location!”

Grand Hotel Terminus
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 25 April 2014

To me, this hotel is close to perfect! It's the first time in my life I've ever entered my hotel room and been in complete awe of how spacious and beautiful it was.

The rooms very clean, the staff is always friendly and ready to help with any question, the building iteself is unique and beautiful, and the location is very practical.

A few things I love about this hotel are:

- There's a service room with microwave, washing machine and dryer, kettle, etc. Access with room key. Very nice for a longer stay, or if you've been on the road for a while. Everything free of charge.

- The TV in the room was big, and had a great picture. This is often horrible in hotels, but they've got it right.

- The beds are amazing! Just amazing! Slept like a baby!

- There are plenty of outlets wherever you may need them. At the desk, by the bed, in the bathroom. Perfect.

- This is a pretty quiet hotel. Very little shouting and noise in the hallways, or outside. Some people complain about the noise from the trains, but that's really minimal. And it's an end station, so no constant through-traffic.

- The ceilings are really high, which I like. Huge windows, and an impressive art collection. Everything is tastefully decorated in a clean, classic style. Just beautiful.

Ali in all this hotel is close to perfect. To be very picky, the little things that cost them that final star are:

- The shower curtain. I don't like shower curtains that stick to you when you shower. You know it probably stuck to quite a few people before you, and probably isn't washed between guests.

- The water pressure in the shower isn't anything to be excited about.

- There was no bathrobe. Not a big deal, but staying for a week or longer at a time, that would be a nice extra.

- After giving my towels for a wash, they only replaced half. As a woman with long hair, an extra towel is needed.

- After sleeping in and not leaving until 10 one day, my room wasn't cleaned at all that day.

- There's a gym, which is great. But it's too small, and if you want to work out after work, before it closes, you're lucky if there's a machine free at any time. Put 3 people in that room, and it's over crowded. The fact that there is a gym, though, is a huge plus!

- Wi-fi connection is unstable and very slow at times. Checking mail and stuff is fine, but e.g. Skype-calls drop constantly.

- The breakfast could definitely use some more variation, and some smoked salmon!

And the final thing, which isn't a big deal but very annoying: I got a wake-up call at 5 in the morning once, that I had not requested. That sucked.

Love the hotel, though. It should be among the top 5 in Bergen!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FlSHHEAD

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Cannot fault this hotel really.
The staff were good, the rooms clean and tidy, the beds comfortable too.
Our room overlooked the station, with trains coming and going from time to time, it actually took a conscious effort to wait to see a train leave, because you could not hear them, even with the window open.
Links to the sights around town were very good, as one would expect for such a central location, we were just less than 5 minutes away from local shops. We needed supplies for our train trip to Oslo, the main reason for our trip to Norway...
A quiet friendly whiskey bar, sadly did not have my favouite tipple, so I settled for a glass of Glen Ord instead.
Breakfast was buffet style, plenty of everything, sort of nordic cum continental in flavour, perfect for a day of travelling on the train.
As I was travelling with a disabled person, this was a good safe and secure place to stay

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HAPPYTRAVELLER448
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just got back from a two night stay in this hotel, the hotel is in a great building with plenty of charm, the rooms are nice, relatively compact but functional.

The rooms do suffer from road noise and both nights I was aware of the morning traffic outside my window.

Breakfast could not be faulted, neither could the service.

All in a all a very good hotel I would happily visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Grand Terminus is located next to Bergen railway station, the hotel is very old and quite dated, I found its general appearance rather dark and typical of a city-centre hotel, my single room was adequate with a decent sized bathroom, the breakfast was fine and complimentary coffee was available all day, the reception staff were friendly & helpful. Its location is perfect for the railway station, I only stayed for 1 night and would probably of stayed nearer the waterfront had I been staying longer in Bergen

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nibblesoflgw
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have been last week as part of a tour party. No problems as to room. Staff very friendly if none clearly Norwegian. We would stay again but this place is close to the railway station and some few minutes walk from the centre of the city. The whisky bar is a wonder with sliding ladder in to reach some bottles, Some drinks are cheap and others not so. Their pricing is all over the place. I had a cask strength tot from an old and closed malt distillery for about 90k and had to explain to the bar person that I wished to put in my own water. At the same time a person came in and asked for a tot of the cheapest supermarket blend and was charged the same. With respect I do not think that bar staff can help anyone.

Room Tip: This is old style hotel, a little off center. No pool or spa.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights at beginning of Hurtigerten costal voyage. Hotel has many of it's original 1920,s features, magnificent whisky bar. Room good size with usual amenities. 24hr coffee in bar. Right next to station so going on the ' Norway in a nutshell' tour from station is literally on doorstep.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank John H
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Flew into Bergen as first stage of the Norway in a Nutshell tour. First impressions of this hotel on a wet, windy day was that it was dark and austere, typical of the old station hotels in the UK. But the friendly welcome from the desk staff - and complimentary cakes - helped to dispell first impressions. Our room was small but warm and comfortable, helped by the under floor heating in the bathroom. The room doors are built as solid as a battle ship and you certainly feel secure behind them. Other good points were the digital clock in the TV and the zany light fittings. There was also a room safe, the only one we encountered during our stay in Norway and the free wi fi was good. We ate in the bar and had a nice (but pricy) fish meal. The beds were a bit on the hard side but ok. The hotel's strongest selling points are its breakfast and its location. We were up for early breakfast and entered the main restaurant area (which is probably used in the evenings during the summer). There before us was a wonderful spread of cold and hot dishes, breads, cheeses, meats and drinks. Excellent fare before a trip. The hotel is 10 minutes from the city centre but literally across the road from the station. We could have our excellent breakfast, pick up our bags and, within five minutes, be on the train taking us on the first leg of our journey into the hinterland. All in all, a great start to our holiday.

Tip: Pick up a couple of biscuits and bread rolls for the train trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple