“Scandal”

Grand Hotel Terminus
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My company has been booking this hotel for several times. My room was booked 6 weeks in advance and today when I arrived we called the hotel to advise of later arrival. The gave me a room which is usually a meeting room telling they are very sorry but would buy me a beer at the bar...What they got me was a very, very thin matraze on a a piece of hard wood...I have been in many hotels around the globe and am a frequent traveller - this is the worst thing that ever happened to me. And we as a company as well as private person will never ever come back here. ¨

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Stephan B
BestofBergen, General Manager at Grand Hotel Terminus, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that we were overbooked this day! We totally understand your frustration and we assure you that we always tries to avoid such a situation.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My fiancé and I arrived the day after we got engaged in Flam. I drop the hotel an email and they were amazing, upgraded us to an amazing room and gave us a bottle if champagne .. Amazing service.
The bar staff are brilliant, the bar itself is a beautiful, amazing room ... I could sit there all day. The food at the hotel is very good ... Breakfast was very good ... Probably a little limited for foreign visitors for such a quality hotel.
The front desk will do anything to assist .. We had just one exception, who we found quite rude / abrupt. Only problem we had is that wifi was not great / non existent in our room and nothing could be done to fix that (they did offer for us to change rooms, but we loved the room so put up with it)
Would definitely recommend ... The building, bar and staff are flawless.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JDGLondon
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Heritage hotel close to the main station and Harbour, you can reach the cable car ten within minutes walk. Rooms are tiny but sufficient. We spent one night before embarking aboard The Hurtigruten (coastal express) and through our travel agent : Coté Croisière in Paris we had a very good price, even better than through B ooking.com.

Room Tip: Some people found there was noise from the street, for us not at all, you may ask for a room backsid...
1  Thank michel13Allauch
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is a very convenient hotel for travelers. It is expensive, but the room was clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable and the room, while small, was adequate. The hotel is literally across from the train station which was great after the Norway in a Nutshell day trip and prior to taking the train to the airport the next day. The included breakfast was tasty and there was a nice variety of food.

We ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner - very slow service and very, very expensive! The slowness could have been because it was a national holiday and they had been very busy all day.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights and while it is a very elegant property with a lot of character we were very disappointed with the room. We had booked a Standard Double but compared to most hotels we have stayed in this room was quite small and I don't think was one of the rooms that has been updated. There was very little space to move around in the room. So a slightly disappointing start to our stay but at the same time the staff were very pleasant and helpful and there was a very comfortable lounge to relax in. The hotel is in a good location, right next to the railway station although we heard no noise at all. It is also a pleasant short walk to the centre and the fish market and the funicular up to Mount Floyen.
I would stay at the hotel if I was visiting again but would book a de-luxe room to have a little more space.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Grand Hotel a Terminus is in a great location, next to the railway station and a 5 minute walk from the City centre.

We arrived at 1500 and our room wasn't ready. Had to wait for 30 minutes.

We had booked a Junior Suite and this was a lovely room very bright, very spacious and everything you need in a hotel room EXCPET air-conditioning. And with all the windows the room got very hot. We also had building work going on right outside our window so very noisy, which is not ideal. Beds are a good size, bathroom is adequately supplied with what you would need. No co ain't sat the quality of the room.

Complimentary coffee is provided at anytime in the bar which was a nice touch and the usual standard of choices on the buffet at breakfast. Plenty to fill you up so no issues there.

I chose the hotel for convenience as we had to catch an early train. If you are staying a few days in Bergen look around. Maybe a hotel down by the waterfront would be a better choice.

Room Tip: If you can get a junior Suite or even afford one do, they are lovely rooms, if you decide to stay he...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Grand terminus is steps away from the train station, which makes it very convenient to hop on the train to visit other parts of this beautiful region. The downside of this is that you are about a 10-minute walk from the central part of Bergen, but it's a scenic and flat walk, so I didn't mind.

Checking into the hotel was efficient, but the reception staff was somewhat cold. This is a consistent theme at the hotel. Norwegians in general seem friendly and warm, but not the staff here. They will interact with you at the bare minimum. If you ask how to walk to the fish market, they will circle it on a map and hand it to you. If you ask for a restaurant recommendation, they will say the name. Only when I asked if she could write it down did she get a post-it -- Norwegian pronunciation is not exactly intuitive for English-speakers, so I would have never figured out what she was talking about on my own. But writing the name on the post-it was all the effort that would be exerted; no offer of providing directions or making a reservation.

The worst service of all was provided by Christopher at the front desk. With a 7:00 train for fjord site seeing, I didn't have time to eat a proper breakfast, which starts at 6:45. I had asked the night before about packing a breakfast, with the instruction to ask the waitress for a box and help myself. When I arrived at 6:45, there was no waitress in sight. Christopher told me to wait. Ok... I went ahead and got a few items, but still no waitress. When I went to the front desk to ask for assistance, in an annoyed tone he told me that he didn't know where the boxes were, and advised that I "should have gotten here earlier if you're in a hurry." When I pointed out that I arrived right at 6:45, he rebutted that "well it was actually open earlier." Yes, arguing with guests is the best course of action here. When the waitress finally did appear she was helpful, providing a bag with a box of juice and fruit, which supplemented the other items I already got. But this was such an unpleasant an annoying experience, with Christopher's extremely poor and condescending attitude. (Also the hotel should really consider starting breakfast service earlier, as both times I arrived at 6:45, there were many other guests already there, in the same situation, with tours to catch).

Service aside, I actually liked the hotel. The rooms are small, but they have nice character. My double bed didn't really have mattresses -- more like pillow tops. One side was way too soft and it felt like I was sinking in; the other side was better so I stayed on that side.

The bathroom/shower area is very small and tight, but functional. The hotel claims to be environmental, so don't expect extras such as bottles of shampoo (instead there's an all-in-one dispenser on the wall) or lotion (hands dry as shed snakeskin by the end of the trip). I wish there had been some advance notice about this, so I could have packed more myself.

And despite all the drama around breakfast, it's a pretty good spread, with a nice mix of local Norwegian specialties and other European foods. With food prices as high as they are in Bergen, it's a good opportunity to fill up.

Despite the convenient location and nice rooms, I would definitely recommend looking for alternatives in Bergen. The service is at best cold and at worst rude and condescending.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cillierabbit
BestofBergen, General Manager at Grand Hotel Terminus, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We are happy that you liked the hotel, but most of all, we deeply regret the quality of the service you have experienced. We can only assure you that this is not how it should be. Your specific feedback makes it possible for us to learn and take direct action, which have already been done. We are measuring the service level every day by customer responses, and have set high goals for our performance. We will continue to strive for the highest level of service score for absolutely all service personnel.