“Mostly good, but ...”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Bergen
Sydney, Australia
“Mostly good, but ...”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I'd booked this hotel 6 months in advance as it seemed to offer everything we wanted, and while it delivered on most of our requirements, I was quite disappointed with the room itself.

I'd booked a triple room for my husband, daughter and I, which from the photos on the website, looked to be a nice large room with a dedicated sitting area and room for a single rollaway bed.

Unfortunately, this was not what we received ... once the rollaway was put in the room, the sitting area disappeared and it became VERY cosy for the three of us.
When I asked at reception if we had the correct room, I was shown a floor plan which indeed did show that this room was slightly larger than the standard. Perhaps we were just unlucky to be allocated a room that bears no resemblance to those in the photos, but I would recommend emailing the hotel prior to ensure that you are not as disappointed as we were.

Our room was decorated as per a 'standard' room (think peeling paint on the windows and numerous chips and scuff marks on the walls) and was located at the back of the hotel where the rooms bear the brunt of a noisy exhaust fan that hums until around 11pm each night, and starts up again at 6am. Quite loud and fatiguing even with the windows tightly closed.

We did like the bar/lounge area, general feel of the hotel, location, and the reception staff were all pleasant.

We would not return though as we felt that we had paid a premium price (AUD $300 p.n.) for a very average hotel room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ComoCat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is an impressive older building with good and atmospheric public rooms. Yes, as other reviewer have noted, the location is convenient for the railway station and the 5-10 minute walk into the town centre is very pleasant BUT I think the guest experience here depends a great deal on the allocation of rooms. Ours was not good. It was small and in what looked like a later extension on the back of the original building.

The room would not have been a generous size as a single and was extremely cramped as a double. The bed was not supportive and uncomfortable. The clothes hanging space was tiny.The bathroom was also small and the extractor fan vent was covered in dust. The impression was almost of an overnight cabin on a ferryboat. We were also disappointed in the poor quality of the furnishings and fittings in the room.

The breakfast was adequate and the staff worked hard. The complimentary tea and coffee in the bar area was an unexpected plus although on one of the two occasions we made use of it we did have to wait over ten minutes in the unattended bar before we were able to get a jug of hot water to make a cup of tea.

Overall, unless you get one of the larger rooms, I would suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My company has been booking this hotel for several times. My room was booked 6 weeks in advance and today when I arrived we called the hotel to advise of later arrival. The gave me a room which is usually a meeting room telling they are very sorry but would buy me a beer at the bar...What they got me was a very, very thin matraze on a a piece of hard wood...I have been in many hotels around the globe and am a frequent traveller - this is the worst thing that ever happened to me. And we as a company as well as private person will never ever come back here. ¨

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Stephan B
BestofBergen, General Manager at Grand Hotel Terminus, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that we were overbooked this day! We totally understand your frustration and we assure you that we always tries to avoid such a situation.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My fiancé and I arrived the day after we got engaged in Flam. I drop the hotel an email and they were amazing, upgraded us to an amazing room and gave us a bottle if champagne .. Amazing service.
The bar staff are brilliant, the bar itself is a beautiful, amazing room ... I could sit there all day. The food at the hotel is very good ... Breakfast was very good ... Probably a little limited for foreign visitors for such a quality hotel.
The front desk will do anything to assist .. We had just one exception, who we found quite rude / abrupt. Only problem we had is that wifi was not great / non existent in our room and nothing could be done to fix that (they did offer for us to change rooms, but we loved the room so put up with it)
Would definitely recommend ... The building, bar and staff are flawless.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDGLondon
allauch
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Heritage hotel close to the main station and Harbour, you can reach the cable car ten within minutes walk. Rooms are tiny but sufficient. We spent one night before embarking aboard The Hurtigruten (coastal express) and through our travel agent : Coté Croisière in Paris we had a very good price, even better than through B ooking.com.

Room Tip: Some people found there was noise from the street, for us not at all, you may ask for a room backsid...
1 Thank michel13Allauch
Duarte, California
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is a very convenient hotel for travelers. It is expensive, but the room was clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable and the room, while small, was adequate. The hotel is literally across from the train station which was great after the Norway in a Nutshell day trip and prior to taking the train to the airport the next day. The included breakfast was tasty and there was a nice variety of food.

We ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner - very slow service and very, very expensive! The slowness could have been because it was a national holiday and they had been very busy all day.

Holetown, Barbados
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights and while it is a very elegant property with a lot of character we were very disappointed with the room. We had booked a Standard Double but compared to most hotels we have stayed in this room was quite small and I don't think was one of the rooms that has been updated. There was very little space to move around in the room. So a slightly disappointing start to our stay but at the same time the staff were very pleasant and helpful and there was a very comfortable lounge to relax in. The hotel is in a good location, right next to the railway station although we heard no noise at all. It is also a pleasant short walk to the centre and the fish market and the funicular up to Mount Floyen.
I would stay at the hotel if I was visiting again but would book a de-luxe room to have a little more space.