“Good Hostel in a good location”
Review of Marken Gjestehus

Marken Gjestehus
Lichfield
“Good Hostel in a good location”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here in a 8 bed dorm in September and it was everything you would expect from a hostel.
The whole hostel was very clean and well equipped with a large fully stocked kitchen. The showers were good and plentiful and free!
In the dorm each bed gets its own locker provided, the only downer being the beds were metal bunk beds and very noisy/creeky - not the best when you're sharing with others.
The hostel is about a 5 min walk from the centre of Bergen and a couple of mins walk from the train station.
The service we received was brilliant - really friendly and helpful.

Would highly recommend staying here if you are on a budget.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bonnpritch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Firstly the location of this hostel is perfect. It is located in city center, only about 5 min. to the railway station.
Secondary, it is clean, the facilities here are also convinient and well maintained. The public area is bright and comfortable. Only at the dinner time, many people crowed in the kitchen.
Last but not the least, the price is also reasonable. It's a very good choice to stay here in Bergen.
P.S. We like the elevator very much. This kind of old machine we only saw in the old films before:-)

Room Tip: The 4-beds dorm is little bit small when all 4 persons in the room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Also tried Montana hostel and the Bergen YMCA but in my opinion the Marken Guesthouse had the best atmosphere by far. Both private rooms and dorms are on offer and prices are certainly one of the best value in the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Reasonable value in central location. Good facilities e.g. lockers in rooms, decent kitchen, communal areas (including one with a TV). The staff were friendly and helpful, they were prepared to look after my bag for a few hours after I checked out but before my flight.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We just stayed here for two nights over a weekend. We had a double private room with shared bathroom which was all we needed. The rooms were nicely decorated and the communal areas were nice although everyone very much kept to themselves and in my opinion it wasn't a very social place to hang out.
We didn't use the kitchen at all but the facilities looked good.
We loved how when we arrived late at night we could just slide out credit card to get in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed there for two night - staff at reception were really really helpful - particularly the Argentinian guy.

Kitchen got a bit messy, but the staff went through and cleaned it regularly, so no complaints here.

Dining room looks out onto one of the hills surrounding Bergen - great view!

Bed was really comfortable, and room was clean (twin room)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Udon Thani, Thailand
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I think it's a good decision to stay here even though I had many problems in my stay. Firstly, I could not entrance the main door, the hostel door or my room door with my credit card (I came lately so they told me to use my card as a key card). I could not use my locker key too. The other girl in my room had the same key. This problem happened to another person too. I think the first problem was my fault. Maybe my credit card didn't work with their machine (I found lot of problems with Thai credit card). Luckily, some people opened the door so I could came in. When I check out, a staff asked me about using my own credit card as a key card. He said sorry for my inconvenience. It made me feel good.

The room was clean. The WC in my dorm was large. Love it. Location is the best. It's not far from train station and bus station. The kitchen room was great. I love atmosphere at this hostel. I'll be back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo