“Good location”

Marken Gjestehus
bangkok
“Good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I spent just one night here. It's not far from the train station in the city center of Bergen. The staff was helpful , nice and good English speaker. I stayed in the 8-bed male dorm. There are lockers for individual guest. The bed sheet and linen needed to be rent. However, the hostel entrance was under renovation.

Stayed May 2557, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

It was not far from the station, then we met really nice receptionist, we accidentally paid an unnecessary extra room but can easily retrieve the money back. They have good kitchen where you can cook your own food and enjoy it with really nice view. Overall they have clean space. Totally the hostel you should go for in Bergen.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I spent two nights here over easter weekend 2014 and over all was very happy. The kitchen and lounge area facilities are great, if any of the supermarkets had been open it would have been perfect to make food.
I slept in a large shared room and rented sheets each night. This was fine the first night, but I stayed elsewhere the second night and checked in late the third. When I arrived the office was closed, the credit card entry system worked great but even though I'd asked for them there were no sheets.

Staff were very helpful with good English, and I had a great time. The lockers for your valuables are a good size, so consider putting things like travel adapters in there too (mine went walk about!)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Morag90
Norton Shores, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My family and I stayed here in May 2014. It was my first experience with a hostel and I could not have been happier. The unique entrance and age of the building just enhanced our experience and the staff and other guests were super.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynne F
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed in room just opposite the reception, really clean and comfy beds, nice large window with a lovely view on uphill Bergen + can be opened for fresh air.

WiFi was poor and did not work in the room, had to go to the kitchen seating area for this but was OK.

Hotel is on 4th flow, has a lovely 1934 lift which takes you up. Very central location and make sure IF you drive that you park in the large complex car park by the mall as this is the safest option for 130nok per 24hrs.

Kitchen was very well equipped, will stay again if I go back to Bergen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m2010d4e
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Me and my friend had been traveling for about 4 days when we found our self's in Bergen. We arrived here at 6 in the morning it was dark and knowere was open , so we deiced to get some rest and sleep on a bench for a few hours until places opened. As we awoke a news paper reporter approached us and asked if we could be interviewed for the Bergen press becasue they dont have many homeless people. After being interviewed we made our way around Bergen for a while. Whilst we were buying food in a supermarket the woman who owns the Marken Gjesthus came up to us and asked if we would like a night in here hostel for free because she felt sorry for us for sleeping on a bench , she explained that she was the one who phoned the press and insisted we stay at her hostel.

This was the kindest gesture , what a excellent hostel with brilliant manager and staff.

Id recommend staying here to anyone

Thankyou very much guys

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RhysScho
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

The entrance to this hostel is fairly odd, particularly since my group arrived at night! However, they had a good setup in order to ensure that we all got keys and linens. The elevator is ancient; I didn't find it particularly great, but that might be because I have a fear of them. Once you get up into reception, everything is fine. They have so many bathrooms and showers that there is never any trouble finding one, and you stay in a female or male dorm. I was in a ten bed, and slept very well both nights I was there. The kitchen looked very good--I didn't see what utensils they had, but my group sat in it several times; it's a cozy room. This is a good place to stay in Bergen.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends