“Lovely place, great location”
Review of Skansen Pensjonat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bergen
Skansen Pensjonat
Ranked #4 of 20 Bergen B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Lovely place, great location”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Skansen Pensjonat and were not disappointed. Our hostess Jannicke was very kind and helpful. We stayed in the balcony room which had an amazing view of the city. The rooms are pretty basic with toilet and shower down the hall. Jannicke served us breakfast every morning and always had tea and cookies in the living room (great on a cold day!). The pension is very central to everything, walking distance to the train, fish market, and historic Bryggen. We hope someday to return!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This is a small B&B in the centre of Bergen and considering Norways prices extremely good value for money.

It is a steep climb from the centre up a winding path but the views at the top make up for any inconvenience this may cause.

My room was a small single with shared bathroom facilities. I was a little unsure about this at first but I never had to wait for a shower and you are provided with a toweling robe. It is kept immaculately clean.

Breakfast is made to order I had boiled eggs and was asked exactly how I like them. I prefer a runny egg and it was cooked to perfection.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank helers_8
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Great little budget hotel. Close to centre and an easy walk to most attractions. Situated just above the Floibanen funicular railway station. Only drawback is the fairly steep climb up about 50 metres. Don't take a taxi! They charge a fortune and ours couldn't find the hotel.
Toilets and showers are shared. Breakfast is excellent and the owner is very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter J
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed at this B and B for 2 nights in the single room. It was 450 kroner which is very reasonable for Bergen (less expensive than the hostel in town). The room was very small though felt cozy and proved a radio, desk, robe and sink. Shower and toilet was shared with showers only being on the first floor. The breakfast was very generous and the location was ideal. Though other reviews mentioned stairs, it is true though Bergen is a very hilly town and pretty difficult to avoid steps if you want to get around. The owner and her very sweet assistant were accommodating to my needs and even made me a sandwich for a very early am flight with plastic left for my luggage in case it was raining. There is also a good coffee place and homemade soup cafe just 2 minutes away.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank LOB16
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

Looking for somewhere to stay in Bergen turned out to be an expensive story! But finally I found this little "Pensjonat" for only 500 NKr/ night. The room was really nice with a basin and a great view over Bergen. I simply loved it! It was easy to get there and in the mornings I went out for a walk up to Fløien. The hostess was friendly and welcoming. Extra plus for the bathrobe and a kettle in the kitchen!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank AnneAalto
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 October 2012

First and foremost you need to be ready for a hike up the hill. It isn't terribly bad, but you just need to understand that when you're headed back in the evening, you've got a bit of a haul. Even so, we thought it was a good option. It was much cheaper than a lot of the alternatives we considered, and still provided easy access to the main parts of Bergen.

The breakfast was very good, and the owner was very helpful (although in the morning she seemed a little overwhelmed with running the place on her own).

We had the apartment, which has a separate entrance that we liked and was down in the basement. It was okay but nothing to shout about. Decor was a little bland and the bathroom will probably need to be renovated within the next few years. Overall it was clean and the bed was comfy, which is all I really ask for.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank astaplet82
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 October 2012

If you think Oslo is expensive, try Bergen! I had a very difficult time finding a place with reasonable price in Bergen so I settled for this accommodation. The area itself is interesting to explore (many wooden houses from 18xx). Overall, it’s an okay stay if your priority is budget. But if you are willing to pay more, stay elsewhere. Tips: really pay attention & print the confirmation letter. The host was not there when we arrived in 4 pm. Lucky I printed all pages in the confirmation letter and it told me to look for the key in the “black box” and it was there. Otherwise I could not get in.

Pro:
- Location is walking distance to the Bryggen old quarter (although it’s quite a steep climb)
- Spacious room size
- Common washing machine free for use (although all buttons & guides only in Norwegians)
- You’re sleeping in a historical place (?)
- Common bathroom is clean, although not overly clean

Cons:
- Rickety flooring; you can hear people walk around in the hall
- It’s not as modern as I thought, everything is just basic…
- Location a bit difficult to find initially.
- I got something to ask at around 6 pm, try to knock on the host door (they basically lived in the same building but different section) and cannot reach them (but I know the host is inside). Had to wait for a lady to walk out to ask her. Maybe they just can’t hear me knocking.

In summary, there’s not much to fault; but also not much to praise either. If you’re on a budget this is an okay choice. If you have more to splurge, go elsewhere.

If you find my review helpful to you, appreciate if you can click that Helpful vote. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends