“Cozy and comfortable”
Review of Hotel Park Bergen

Hotel Park Bergen
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This hotel is lovely. The beds were comfortable and the rooms cozy. I loved the homey touches and artifacts throughout the rooms and shared areas. After a chilly tour of the fjords, it was great to come into the hotel for a cup of tea and a brownie (or two--yum.) The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel location is convenient to the train station and town. Free wi-fi works well throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank hippiechickinsing

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Our room was a little cramped for space, but the bed was great and the room was charming. Because we were on the top floor the ceiling was sloped and they had to mount the mirror in the bathroom on this sloped surface. It made removing my contacts an interesting exercise. The breakfast was generous and of high quality. Those with physical challenges might want to stay on the lowest floor since there are no elevators. It was easily within walking distance to the main downtown area and the train station which included pulling our rolling suitcases up the hill to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest room if size is important since none of the rooms are alike.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank redroverma
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed here with my family for a week while teaching at the University of Bergen. The hotel is in an older building, filled with antiques. It is more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel, but this is not in any way a negative. The rooms were smallish but comfortable. The hotel is in a beautiful part of the city, bordering on a large park. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bblumberg
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We watched a drug-crazed, beautiful, Norwegian girl outside our window. I asked reception to call the police. When she didn't, I asked her about it. Our conversation showed a loving for the hotel guests and also the young people losing their way. I was very impressed with the kindness this showed, and I wish I could then support your decision to stay there. But I can't. It is unnerving to be a block away from the city park where most of the druggies go.

• Stayed: August 2011
7  Thank dianaholbert
271065, General Manager at Hotel Park Bergen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Dear Guest.

We are very sorry for your negative experience. Unfortunately there are some incidents of drug abusers passing by the hotel, normally at the other side of the street. My family has been running the hotel for 35 years now, and we have never experienced that any of these people have done any harm to our guests. As an extra precaution, all main doors are locked 24/7 with access only with the guest key-card, and there has never been any incidents where abusers have entered the hotel. We are situated in a quiet area close to the University, and most of guests give us positive feedback on how calm and quite the area is.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

We love this hotel. Beautiful and comfortable rooms, wonderful service, and one of the best breakfasts we've ever had in a hotel. It's a little outside the city center with a 10-minute walk up a hill, but totally worth it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ficklered
Reviewed 16 July 2011

The worst problem of this hotel is it`s location: it seems to be in the middle of the local drug szene and the road in front of the hotel is littered with used syringes. From your window you can see seedy people busy with dealing.
Another problem is the staff: the lady doing the check-in in the evening was friendly, but the breakfast/check-out lady was very rude. I was given a room in the building across the street (another let down...) and in the evening I was informed, that breakfast in the main building will be from 7-10, in my building from 8-9 and I could choose where to eat. These times were also written outside the breakfast rooms. Because I arrived lateafter a very long trip, I opted for breakfast a bit later in the main room. When I arrived, there was no table available a I waited for a bit. When some people left, the breakfast lady asked a couple at reception, if they waited for a table - they did not, so I said I would. The lady said I should eat in the other building and when I remarket it was only open till 9, she said no, till 9,30. Would have given me 15m to eat if really open longer than stated. I set off to the now available table which the lady very reluctantly started to clear. While doing this, she said to me very loud that I should have come earlier at 7am as then there would have been space... At this point I gave up and immediately checked out without breakfast.
Some minor problems: shower only lukewarm and drowning the whole toilette, room tiny, no minibar.
I have travelled for 2 weeks in Norway and Sweden, staying each night in another hotel. This was by far the worst experience (and the most expensive at 890 NOK).

Room Tip: Insist to be in the main building or even better: choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank Anid11

Dear Guest.

We are very sorry to hear about your negative experience at our hotel.
We are aware that there are some drug abusers passing by the hotel, normally at the other side of the street. Let me assure you that we never have had any experiences of these people making harm to our guests. As an extra safety precaution all main doors are locked 24/7 and access to the hotel is only available for guest carrying the key-card.

We are very sorry about the confusion about breakfast times. I have discussed your case with my personnel, and there seems to have been a huge misunderstanding. She only tried to tell you that it is more quiet early in the morning, than just before breakfast is closing.

We hope we can have the opportunity to see you again, and show you the best side of our service. We are proud to be ranked as #1 in Bergen on Staff, by the international booking portal "booking.com"

Reviewed 18 June 2011

This was a lovely little hotel in Bergen. We stayed in a room with a balcony, which had great views... The hotel was at the top of a hill, so quite a walk, but worth it. The rooms were clean and the service was excellent. The brownies in the afternoon were also great! The bathroom was very small, but clean. Everything is expensive in Norway, so don't expect a cheap holiday! I would recommend this hotel as we thought it was value for money!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple