“Perfect location”
Review of Bergen YMCA Hostel

Bergen YMCA Hostel
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I went to Bergen the first time in summer for taking part in Bergenfest and was looking for somewhere to stay which was near to the festival at Bergenhus Festning. Bergen YMCA hostel was indeed the best choice, not only the location, value for money, but also cleanliness. I stayed in the dorm and got the bed near the toilet. The kitchen was probably not very big. While waiting to check in, I was sitting in the common room and fell asleep, which I took it as a good sign. Not only I was very tired, but it also meant the sofa was comfy. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 December 2013

As part of a Scout excursion to Norway following a Jamboree in Stavanger, we traveled to Bergen, and chose to stay at this hostel.

As soon as departing the High Speed Ferry that brought us to Bergen from Stavanger, our group set off toward the hostel. I was dreading the walk, as I was carrying a 17 kg rucksack on my back. As soon as I had begun a conversation with my friend, we had turned a corner revealing a large door signed with 'YMCA Hostel'. I was incredibly relieved. The hostel is only about 100m from the harbor.

The entrance of the building does not reflect the inside. The door had light blue, peeling paint and there was a dirty sign, so I expected quite a scruffy hostel, but no! Upon entering the building, there was a flight of stairs leading to the lobby, which is a lovely room. It is warm, with a nice, modern yet cosy interior. We checked in and were shown to our rooms.

Our dorm was just along a short corridor, at the very end. The dormitory was linked to the one next door, separated by a sliding screen, which is locked. There were lockers in the room, one for each bed, which had to have a 10 kr coin inserted into them to use (it is returned when the locker is unlocked). The beds were a decent size, they had plenty of room to toss and turn in. The only negative point of the room is the window. It looked down onto a dirty back alley, and straight into the kitchen of a flat. We opened the window, but soon closed it due to the smell drifting up from the bins in the alleyway.

There was a single bathroom at the beginning of the corridor, which often resulted in ques forming. The showers were down the stairs, near the entrance of the building. There were separate rooms for Men and Women. Inside the areas, the changing area was communal, as well as the showers having two in each cubicle. Towel hooks were at the end of the row, not within reaching distance of the centre cubicle. Myself and my friends showered at roughly 7:00 am, so we had the showers to ourselves.

There is a kitchen for the guests to use near reception. It is quite small, so not many people can fit inside. Any food is to be eaten in the dining area, which also contains two pianos. There is some crockery and cutlery to use in the kitchen but, our group brought our own. Breakfast is available to buy, but you have to buy a breakfast ticket at reception, and turn up at the dining hall between certain times. I would recommend this, it was a very nice start to the day! There is a selection of fresh bread, a variety of cheeses and ham. There was cereal, with fresh milk, as well as orange, apple and cranberry juice. There was also a large fruit bowl.

There is one main social area in the hostel. It is just next to reception, and it contains large couches, a TV and computers. You could use the WiFi free for a short period of time, but then you had to pay. We also used the dining area as a place to socialize in when it was not in use. On the top floor of the building, there is a small terrace overlooking the city.

As well as being so close to the Harbor, the hostel is just a short walk from the Railway station, and the Funicular railway. Just around the corner from the hostel is a small market, selling all sorts of gifts for those at home. There is a lovely glass ornament stall, from where I bought a cute purple glass cat for my Gran. Across the road from this is a large fish and meat market, selling a huge variety of products, from live crabs to reindeer meat, whale burgers and even penguin sausages. Down the road from the hostel is what I think was the city centre. It had many fountains and statues, and was near lots of museums. The area is also packed with shops and restaurants. I would really recommend staying here, as it is great value and is in a very central location!

Room Tip: The dorms nearest reception are probably the best, as they are smaller and close to the facilities...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Globetrottergirl2000
Reviewed 28 November 2013

4 of us stayed in a 6 bedroom dorm. Bunk beds with a clean en suite and shower. Bedding included.

Hostel was warm, clean and the kitchen was well stocked with a shop next door. Close to anything you'd like to do in Bergen. Hostel wifi is fast and the common room is a great place to chill out and stay out of the cold! Staff were helpful and polite. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Three of us stayed in a 4 bed dorm and we had it to ourselves which was good. Very clean, good kitchen. Rooftop terrace would be nice to hang out on but it was too cold for too much of that in late September.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in the top story of the building.The room was clean and tidy,however quite sparingly hot water in the shower.Bring some warm clothing as the heaters are preprogrammed and cant keep the room warm enough.The receptionists seemed disinterested in being serviceminded,especially an asian lady that was arrogant and grumpy.Otherwise fine overall.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

It's a great place to stay in Bergen, probably the cheapest as well. It's just in the heart of the city, the comfort is really high. You can get there coffee and tea for free, the kitchen is perfectly equipped. What i like the most about this place was the room where you could have mingled a bit with some other travellers :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is by far, one of the cheapest accommodation directly at the core of Bergen.

For one, its really convenient. ATM machines are nearby. Restaurants are close. Fish markets and souvenir shops as well.

On the possible downside, it is a hostel after all. So if you are sensitive to creaking noises of door opening or people climbing up to their bed at midnight or later, this might annoy you.

However I had no problem. I stayed in the massive hall with probably at least 30 people there. Mixed females and males. Met some really friendly Americans and Germans. Most of the people who stayed here are undergraduates.

My friends, two girls, stayed in a different hall - all girls room so that probably has more privacy.

Think there was 2-3 toilets. Showers are shared just separated with curtains.

Overall I would recommend this place simply because you get to save tons of Kroner!

This is especially important cause you'd have breathing space to pay for all the expensive souvenirs, transportation, rides, food and all that. Don't forget to always keep your card wherever you go.

Anyway for Wifi, here's my secret tip. The hostel's Wifi usually has problems connecting. But there is this place nearby the fish market.

Its a two store building, above is an inquiry place to buy tickets for rides in Bergen. Below it is an 'indoor fish market'.

There's a sitting place nearby. Last time when we bought the tickets up there, we asked for the password for the Wifi. Then the next day, we came down at the sitting table and got connected to Wifi! So free internet <3 But obviously I can't guarantee if you can still do this.

Either way there's always some cafe that has Wifi anyway so no big deal.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends