“Great , clean, modern”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bergen, Norway
“Great , clean, modern”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here for a total of 4 weeks and cant complain about the rooms, location, reception staff, allthe above was brilliant, I went back to the uk at weekends and looked forward to returning each time, it was great when they get to know you and it felt more ppersonal. No coffee or tea making facilities in the room was the only downside, but to be honest this helped me change the habit of too much. So thankyou

The restaurant on the top floor has mixed reviews from me, really expensive for the portion sizes, most staff were freindly with the acception of a certain young lady that was really rude and not willing to keep the customer happy, food was amazing, views were brilliant, larger parties were given preference all the time over hotel guests, reception would always say there wasnt any tables but just go up and 9/10 there was tables (communication problems I think) on our last night we invited guests one was vegetarian and one was very fussy, the vegetarion dish was terrible and the fussy eater wanted the burger from the other menu, the very rude lady wasnt willing to let our guest eat at our table and insisted he moved 4 feet over to the bar, after 23 days of eating there I wasnt impressed but she kept digging her heels in and refused, the other staff had words and let him eat his £20 burger with us.

Room Tip: Any. All stunning, outside rooms for views .
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Scotland's H
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Scotland's H!
Thank you very much for taking the time giving us your feedback from your long stay with us!
I am very pleased that you found almost everything to your satisfaction, and sorry that we failed in giving you a great service experience also in the restaurant.
We work hard every day to improve, and your review is very much appreciated! We will of course follow up on this matter!

We do hope to see you back with us soon!

Sølvi Solmunde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This brand new hotel upgraded us to suite on arrival. Very nice. They serve a large hot and cold breakfast that was quite tasty. Hotel is right across from bus station and less than 15 min to harbour. We had do drinks in the bar expensive by North American standards. Only downside was that the restaurant was not open for dinner Sunday nights. Not good for guests who might want a night in.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Newfiemd H!
Thank you for taking the time giving us your kind feedback after staying with us!
We are happy you enjoyed your stay and the service provided.
Regarding restaurant, we offer small dishes in the lobby restaurant Toast, and I hope you found this alternative to your satisfaction.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to us soon!

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It's a rainy afternoon in Bergen - so spending my time now reviewing my room @ Scandic Ornen Hotel.

++ : Location - very easy to find when you come via Railway (just a few mins walking away) or airport (Flybussen Sentrum stops next to the Hotel). To Bryggen it's approx. a 15 min walk. The whole area around the Hotel is pleasant (never felt unsafe) and there is a large supermarket with sth. lots if shops next to the Hotel.

++ : Staff were very friendly and professional. Check-In was quick, uncomplicated and you are provided with a magnetic card. Regarding the staff in general: We found them always smiling and ready to help us straight away with a map when we had questions about tours etc..Staff at breakfast were equally friendly.

++ : I have a double, standard room and space is good. The entrance floor is surprisingly wide, there is a working table, a large modern LCD screen (something like 40"). There is a carpet on the floor and it's spotlessly clean.. so are the bed linen, pillow, bathroom etc.. Absolutely nothing can be reported about cleanliness, no matter how hard I look.

++ : Wifi works extremely well .. is speedy and have full signal bar here on the 5th floor.

++ : As far as I can see, Hotel floors, Lifts .. are perfectly adapted for wheel-chair people.

++ : Lots of spare electricity plugs if you need to recharge sth or plugin laptops etc..

++ : Very soundproof.. I heard and hear nothing .. except the rain hitting my window right now..

+ : Breakfast definitely deserves additional praise. Huge selection of hot food but also pastries, food etc.. the breakfast area is huge and you should never have any problem finding a place to sit. Nevertheless, it's not without it's little flaws: It's seems to be a bit strangely organised regarding food distribution. You have a bread desk ( amazed about the huge selection of bread they offer) .. but if you are looking for pastries, then you need to walk by the hot meal desk to find it in a place you didn't expect it. But on 2nd day, you will know where things are and waste less time.

What I nevertheless disliked was the way butter (and things like Nutella) was just put on a big plate where everyone cuts a piece off and it was lying there half melted..not looking very "tasty".. Please fix this !! I doesn't cost you anything to present it in a better way .. with sth like cold water underneath..

+ :Air Con: You might think that it's not worth thinking about this in Bergen..but the last days here were around 28C hot (and humid). Air con was a pleasant surprise as you can barely hear it and it's NOT blowing the cold air towards you when lying in your bed. My room was pleasantly cool but surprisingly, the double room booked by friends on the same side was quite warmer (although not yet unpleasant). Not sure why aircon seems to be less efficient over there hence that is why I removed a "plus". There's also a window you can flip if you prefer air from outside.

o : Hotel can obviously house many people and at peak times, we found ourselves waiting for quite a long time at the lobby or on our floor till we could get an elevator.

- : No safe in the room (!?) That leaves me a bit speechless as an Hotel of that quality should always offer that type of facility.

In a nutshell: It's of course always a price question but as long as this Hotel stays in the same price range (or cheaper) as other 4 star Hotels, I will not think further and book it again ! And I will have no problem to stongly recommend it to friends and relatives.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OCH_10
Dear OCH_10!
I would like to thank you very much for giving us your kind review of your stay at Scandic Ørnen! We are happy that you enjoyed the room, the service and the breakfast.
Regarding your input for presentation of butter and such for brekfast, we will of course improve this part.
We do hope to see you back with us soon, and thank you for your recommendation!

Northampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Scandic Ornen in July for 4 nights during a recent trip to Norway. First let me preface this by stating that we have fairly extensive travel experience so we have a good basis for comparison. I was surprised at some of the somewhat negative reviews in TA. This hotel is brand new, spotless, with a staff that is eager to help.
Location: About a 3 minute walk from the train station. We arrived from Oslo via rail and found the hotel immediately. Additionaly, the bus station is right across the street. Airport connections can be made by the Flybussen also right across the street in the bus terminal.
As far as reaching the Fish Market, downtown attractions, restaurants, pubs, etc....even Starbucks... It is a 9 minute walk across the park.
Staff: front desk staff was both friendly and helpful;
Breakfast Buffet: Outstanding..huge selection. Eggs, bacon, sausages, various meats, cheeses, breads, fresh juice and excellent coffee( this is important to us). Fresh juice squeezers is a good touch.
Room: Basic, but well set up. Air conditioning worked well, and quietly. Samsung flat screen, bathroom a bit small, but ample space for toiletries. Water pressure in shower was good. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet, and we were able to secure a good nights sleep.
My only suggestions would be to provide a complimentary coffee service in the lobby and a lobby bar with some music might be a good idea. Additionally a room safe would be convenient, although I don't know how necessary this is in Norway.
All things considered, I am happy to recommend this hotel highly. If in Bergen, I would stay at the Scandic Ornen again. I'm not sure some of the other reviewers were in the same hotel.
If any one wants more details, please feel free to message me through Tripadvisor.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobecus
Dear bobecus!
Thank you so much for your very kind and extesive review of your stay at Scandic Ørnen!
We are so happy you found everything to your satisfaction, and that you give us your recommendations! Being still very new in the market, we need all feedback to keep improving on all levels. Your review makes us believe we are well on our way!
Your suggestions will be taken into consideration, and thank you for that as well.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nothing impressive. Although this is a new, modern, clean and easy to access hotel, I must say nothing much to remember. Decoration in the room is modern but not to everyone taste, probably because of black tone and lighting especially at the bedwall. Coffe and tea is provided. Free wifi in the room. Bathroom is toned in black, modern but depressing? More pillow should be provided since only one per person only. Sleep quality is fine. Breakfast is very good with huge selection

Bergen is a great city with lots to remember and thus I might expect a lot too much from its hotel. If this is London, Hong Kong, Japan, I might like it. But this is Bergen, thus, it can only be at best an ordinary standard one.

Room Tip: Higher than floor 10th to have good view, otherwise other building might block the view and all u ca...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WanchaiS
Dear WanchaiS!
Thank you for taking the time giving us your kind review of the hotel!
We opened May 2nd, and are as you say brand new! Interiors are always a matter of taste and personal likes and dislikes.
I trust you found service, sleep quality and breakfast to your satisfaction! We do keep extra pillows in the cabinet, so it was a pity you did not get information about that.
We do hope to see you back with us at a later occation.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Scandic Ornen is a nearly new hotel. Nice very clean well fitted rooms. Very friendly staff.
Good not to costly bar com restaurant overlooking the city. Great breakfast. One of the best I have had for this standard of hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have shower. No bath
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BILLB2304
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear BILLB2304!
I would like to thank you very much for your kind review of your stay at Scandic Ørnen!
The hotel being just a couple of months old, means we need all feed back we can get, in order to improve every day!
It seems from your review that we are succeeding! We hope to see you back with us soon!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel was modern and had good blackout curtains, which is helpful with the perpetual light during summer. The breakfast was good and made the hotel an even better deal, given how expensive everything is in Bergen. It's convenient to the train station and an easy walk to the city's sightseeing options. The staff wasn't overly friendly, although they were very polite when I asked if we could change the sheets because of a small stain.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LAATX
Dear AllHolidays!
Thank you for giving us your kind review of our hotel!
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you back with us soon!