“Excellent hotel, with servers a delicious breakfast”
Review of Scandic Ornen

Scandic Ornen
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stood here two nights. Parking is possible across the street in a parking garage. The tariff for parking is not too bad, given the fact you're in the heart of Bergen. Hotel is at walking distance from train and bus station.
I had a room at the 8th floor. Rooms was clean and comfortable. Good bed, Room has a fridge and airco.
There is a good restaurant at the top floor with a stunning view over the city. Prices are as everywhere in Norway.
In the morning the hotel serves a delicious breakfast with a nearly unlimited choice of cold and hot food. This was the best breakfast I had in Norway.

The second day I had an issue with my keycard, it didn't work anymore. Frontdesk repaired that fast and correct.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Toon N
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Toon N!
Thank you so much for your very kind review of our hotel! We are so excited you enjoyed your stay, and in particular the breakfast. We try very hard to deliver a great breakfast experience, and it seems we are getting there!
We do hope to see you back with us soon!

There are newer reviews for Scandic Ornen

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Shower not well studied with water temperature fluctuating from cold to hot.
4 elevators in parallel with very few space to watch them: very difficult to see which one is coming (need for some pre arriving signal).
Breakfast is poorly managed as staff is not coping with the number of guests at rush hour. better management can fix that, as well as empty bottle and glasses staying in the lobby in the evening...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Alex75Fr!
I would like to thank you for taking the time giving us your review of your stay at Scandic Ørnen!
Your input is of the highest importance to us, since we are still quite new. I am sorry we did not fully meet your expectations this time. We work hard every day to improve, and your input is very valuable. We do hope to see you back with us at your next visit to Bergen.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at Scandic Ørnen, a new hotel next to Bergen Storsenter (mall) and just a minute walk from the train and bus station, KODE art museums, Grieghallen and the lake Lille Lungegårdsvannet. It’s 750 meters from Torgallmenningen, Fisketorget and Bryggen, but it’s a relaxing and safe walk to those attractions.

There are two entrances to the hotel: one just across the bus station, where the airport bus (Flybussen) stops and one in Lille Hilles gate, which is a preferable entrance/exit when going to/from the city or art museums. In the lobby there’s lots of space to relax, as well as take a coffee or cake and buy something from the little Scandic store next to the reception (just in case you need something in the middle of the night).

The reception is very friendly, always smiling and helpful to give you a guide and map to the city, show directions and call a taxi for you. The receptionist who checked me in, Frederick, was very friendly, offered me to leave my luggage in the luggage room when I came in too early, and easily checked me in a little later on the day.

I had a STANDARD ROOM for a couple of nights and was very happy with it. When entering the room, I noticed that there was more than enough of space in the corridor to leave my luggage, just under the hangers and next to the full size mirror. The wardrobe had enough space to hang clothes for a few days and there was an ironing board in it as well. I had a corner room which gave me a beautiful panoramic view of the city, even when lying in the bed. It was just amazing to watch the sun set from by bed...

In front of the bed, there was a nice glass desk, phone and desk lamp. The large Samsung Smart TV was easy to use and made it possible to watch shows and movies in high definition. The available channels were mainly Scandinavian, except for BBC World (NRK, TV2, TV3, TV Norge, SVT, DR, VIASAT movie channels,…) but all English movies were subtitled (not dubbed), so anyone can still enjoy watching TV.

The wi-fi was free and very easy to log on: no login or password needed.

The size of the bathroom was really okay, even for two people. The sink was big enough to lay all my stuff on. The towels were stored above the toilet, but could be hung on the hooks on the wall next to the shower when in use. The shower itself was powerful and easy to use. There was ‘FACE’ soap in front of the sink, as well as shampoo and shower gel in the shower. There was no shower mat, but the floor tiles were anti slip (and otherwise you could just use one of the towels).

Although I stayed for several days, I wasn’t expecting the hotel personnel to change my towels and make my bed every day, but they did! On one day, I left the ‘do not disturb sign’ on the door, and when I came back, I found a bag with two extra towels hanging on the door. Really nice service for those who really don’t want people going into their room during the day.

On my floor there was also a basic gym and a terrace where you could enjoy the view of mount Fløyen and Ulriken. There are tables and benches to seat on, so if the weather's nice, consider to relax out there.

The breakfast was quite large with eight different hot dishes, several kinds of cheeses, jams, cereals, fruits, vegetables and freshly squeezed juices.

So all in all, I really loved my stay at this hotel and can recommend it to anyone coming to Bergen!

Please watch my video review here too: http://youtu.be/wlpfhog4Mw0

Room Tip: Outside rooms from the 9th floor up have good views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Fjordstrom

Dear Fjordstrom!
Thank you for taking the time giving us your very kind review! We are happy you enjoyed the hotel, the service and the total experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back with us soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We checked in to the hotel on Sat the 16th, Aug 2014 - when we got to the room we found one tiiny wardrorbe and no drawers at all in the room. We are staying for a week. So would have expected some storage space to be provided. I ask were do they expect us to put our stuff there are two of us? We have resorted to putting our clothes all on top of the desk that is provided. This makes the room very untidy, but we don't have a choice, i did ask for a room change and was told that all the rooms are the same.

I am very upset and disappointed, i don' mind the small shower room, but do expect at least one set of drawers to put your small bits in.

The breakfast is very good and the staff are very polite.

Room Tip: Bring a few clothes as possible beacuse you will not beable to hang any thing up, or put them in dra...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mofida G
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Mofida G!
Thank you for taking the time giving us your review.
I am sorry that we are not able to meet your expectations regarding storage space for clothes. As you have been correctly informed, storage space is very much the same in all our rooms, and for a weeks stay for two persons it might be too little.
We have however offered you a larger room, that might help, but we do not have any rooms with drawers for clothes.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the hotel, our facitilies and services.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

When we stayed here in June, the hotel had been open for less than two months and it was lovely to stay in a modern hotel with the smell of new carpet and know that everything was brand new. We assumed that the design and fittings had been well thought out and room appointments had kept pace with what travellers want in the 21st century.

Unfortunately, the design of our Standard room did not make good use of the space. The angled entry corridor, which isn't really big enough to store an open suitcase (let alone two), leads into a small room, most of whose space is taken up by the bed.

The bathroom is small. The only place for towels was on a rack over the toilet; that’s fine while they’re folded, but unfortunately, once they've been used and are damp, they hang so low over the toilet that they touch your head when you sit down! There was no bath mat. The shampoo didn’t include conditioner, so if you’re used to using that, you’ll have to supply your own. The soap container on the wall of the shower was attached with double-sided tape which was already coming loose.

There was no overhead light in the room. Two bedside lamps gave specific light and a large dimly-lit backlit screen over the bed was the only other light at this end of the main room. Just one chair was provided for the double room. There were no tea- and coffee-making facilities or a safe.

Elsewhere in the hotel, the lifts have the floor numbers recessed over the doors and it’s hard to see which lift is at which floor. As we went to dinner, a large group was congregating near the entry foyer, perhaps having pre-dinner drinks, and the noise of the conversation took us by surprise as it rose in the large open space to the mezzanine level. Perhaps it’s not too late to do something about the acoustics.

On a positive note, staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was plentiful, with a range of choices. A small supermarket is located nearby (limited opening hours) and it’s a short walk to the main town square past a couple of lovely well-kept parks.

I don’t usually write unfavourable reports, however, I feel that some of the points I’ve mentioned could be rectified. It was disappointing that the room and hotel’s facilities didn’t seem to have been looked at from a guest’s perspective.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RJB72
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear RJB72!
Thank you for taking the time giving us your review! Your feedback is very valuable to us in our continous work to improve on all levels.
As you point out, the hotel is brand new, and we have still issues to sort out. Your feedback will be an important input to this.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a newly built hotel a bit out of town (it is near the local government buildings and the bus station, not the centre) which is presumably an attempt by Scandic to profit by the serious hotel room shortage in Bergen. It is more or less a typical modern hotel. Like all the others in town it appear to be aimed at the one-night tourist stay, and the coach parties. I stopped a week and that seemed to baffle everyone.

The rooms were probably the best I have had in Bergen, though mine was one of the less pricy ones with a window overlooking the Atrium, not the outside. The TV was large, but with only 18 channels, and the air conditioning quiet. The bathroom was not huge, but big enough - it had a shower but not a bathtub. Oddly the bed had one of those memory foam layers on top, something normally only done with superanuated beds.

My chair was incorrectly assembled, and there was a light fitting hanging out in the bathroom. The hotel fixed these the next day when I reported them, but it was obvious that the cleaners are not keeping an eye on this sort of thing. Nor did they clean the room while I was there, contenting themselves with making the bed and folding up the towels. It didn't make it comfortable. The carpet is 6 months old and aready shabby.

Free wifi is offered and seemed to work quite well. it permeated the rooms and the public spaces. There is a minibar in the room but I was not stupid enough to open it. There is a convenience store within walking distance.

The Atrium design no doubt looks impressive, but it has made access to the lifts awkward: on every floor they are approached along a narrow balcony which can lead to congestion. It is unforgiveable of the architect to put the lift lights inside the door reveals, so there is no way to see activity on every door no matter where you stand on this balcony. The highly mirrored doors and door reveals mean that the doors cannot easily be seen to open either. There is no point listening for the floor bell, because the atrimum means you can hear it all the way up from every floor. The lift hand lift has glass walls, for no sensible reason, as they give a view of the black wall of the lift shaft and glimpses into the atrium among a tangle of cable trays and bracketry in a variety of bright and matt metal finishes. They could not resist the temptation to install a gadget in the lift meaning you need to use your keycard to select a floor. This nuiscance is spreading everywhere, and I can't see what security it offers as long as fire doors and stairs exist.

I was on the 9th floor, which has an outside terrace although the view was over the car park and station roof, and the tangle of structural steelwork around it had not been made in any sense picturesque. In fact not much effort had gone into making the architecture interesting or attractive anywhere. The location has no night life, which at least meant that the normal Bergen problems of evening noise don't happen.

There is a combined bar and restaurant on the 13th floor, with two separate menus. Both were pricey and limited. The food was of better quality than other hotels in Bergen, and the service attentive and well done. But my comments about the price were met with the normal Norwegian shrug - "it's expensive everywhere". Unforgiveably the restaurant did not open on Sunday, and no-one bothered to tell me this. And yet the catering staff were in - a coach party was being fed on the 2nd floor, so the kitchen and wait staff were all in. But I was turned away.

A breakfast buffet is provided, which was typical for the town. There wasn't anything special about the cold meats or cheeses - all the lowest common denominator industrial products. On a couple of days the fresh fruit was enhanced with expensive products: cherries once and Kiwi fruit another. I wonder if this was because a large coach party was in? There was nothing wrong with Breakfast, but it wasn't exceptional or even good, just ordinary. Teapots were provided, although the range of tea was poor. You had to go to a coffee machine and press the 'hot water' button 8 times to fill the teapot, and the teacups were stacked nowhere near either the tea or the water, but I was able to make hot tea.

The hotel's web site says that open air parking is provided. It isn't. There is a vast municipal car park over the road, although the only way to cross the road is a threatening little subway that can be reached only from one of the elevators. The hotel does offer 15% off vouchers for parking, which was useless to me as I had already purchased a 1 week season ticket at the car park. Had the voucher been part of the confirmation email would have been nice! There is nowhere else to park anywhere near the hotel.

The staff were cheerful and helpful, although there were never enough of them on recepetion to keep up with all the business. I would stop here again, even though it is a long walk to other restaurants, because the parking is convenient and the rooms acceptable for a business hotel.

Room Tip: Inside rooms look over the Atrium. Outside rooms have an exterior view of not very much
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert H
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Robert H!
I would like to thank you for your extensive review after your week with us at Scandic Ørnen!
Your feedback is very important to us in our work to keep improving. The hotel opened May 2nd, and we are of course very much in a learning process still!
Your input and suggestions are therefore very welcome to us.
We hope to see you back with us soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Brand new modern, good breakfast, espresso coffee machine, bedrooms are small, windows well insulated against noise, curtains are good, beds are small and on the soft side. Bathroom is tiny for two people. Hotel is well situated a short walk to the centre.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jewelly100!
Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future!