“Excellent Choice”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Canada
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Very clean, modern, new hotel in an excellent location close to the bus and train station. Extensive breakfast buffet. Staff were friendly and went over and above to help when I realized we had left my Ipad behind. Highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Claudia3836!
Thank you for taking the time giving us your very kind review of Scandic Ørnen!
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you back with us the next time you visit Bergen!

Sølvi Solmunde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Good location from the bus station and walking distance from the city center. The building is new and the room is spacious and elegantly decorated. Staff is friendly and handsome, he should be on a magazine ads for this hotel. :P . Excellent breakfast with beautiful sitting area and lots of food choice. The only little drawback is that the water temperature is unstable so take heed when you take the shower...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear alex_loves_travelling!
I would like to thank you for your very kind review of your stay at Scandic Ørnen.
We are so happy you found everything to your satisfaction, and hope to see you back with us in the near future!

Kind regards
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Pros:
Next to bus station, right opposite flybussen stop from the airport.
5min walk to train station and storsenter (shopping mall). Global food supermarket around the corner.
Walkable distance to major tourist attractions (e.g. Fish market around 15 - 20 mins)
New furniture - even smells new still! Cool design.
Good breakfast. Friendly waiting staff.
Fast free wifi.

Down:
Shower temperature fluctuated and the water pressure was not enough.
Rang the reception repeatedly around 9pm - no one answered.
The more expensive one in the already expensive Bergen. Comparing with similarly priced hotels in other EU tourist cities, the room is a little simple.

Overall pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Jakob K!
Thank you for taking the time giving us your very kind review of your stay at Scandic Ørnen!
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, the service and our breakfast.
Regarding your comment regarding shower, this is undergoing improvement.
We hope to see you back with us soon.

Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Good location, just a stone's throw from the city centre, shopping mall, railway station and bus station (easy connection to the airport by bus shuttle). Very clean room with a nice view over the city. Delicious breakfast and last but not least friendly and really helpful front desk staff. Next time in Bergen I' ll stay here again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Scandicornen, Daglig leder at Scandic Ornen, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Fabio P!
I would like to thank you very much for your most kind review of Scandic Ørnen and your stay with us!
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back with us soon!

Goes, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stood here two nights. Parking is possible across the street in a parking garage. The tariff for parking is not too bad, given the fact you're in the heart of Bergen. Hotel is at walking distance from train and bus station.
I had a room at the 8th floor. Rooms was clean and comfortable. Good bed, Room has a fridge and airco.
There is a good restaurant at the top floor with a stunning view over the city. Prices are as everywhere in Norway.
In the morning the hotel serves a delicious breakfast with a nearly unlimited choice of cold and hot food. This was the best breakfast I had in Norway.

The second day I had an issue with my keycard, it didn't work anymore. Frontdesk repaired that fast and correct.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Toon N
Dear Toon N!
Thank you so much for your very kind review of our hotel! We are so excited you enjoyed your stay, and in particular the breakfast. We try very hard to deliver a great breakfast experience, and it seems we are getting there!
We do hope to see you back with us soon!

Paris, France
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Shower not well studied with water temperature fluctuating from cold to hot.
4 elevators in parallel with very few space to watch them: very difficult to see which one is coming (need for some pre arriving signal).
Breakfast is poorly managed as staff is not coping with the number of guests at rush hour. better management can fix that, as well as empty bottle and glasses staying in the lobby in the evening...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alex75Fr!
I would like to thank you for taking the time giving us your review of your stay at Scandic Ørnen!
Your input is of the highest importance to us, since we are still quite new. I am sorry we did not fully meet your expectations this time. We work hard every day to improve, and your input is very valuable. We do hope to see you back with us at your next visit to Bergen.

Belgium
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at Scandic Ørnen, a new hotel next to Bergen Storsenter (mall) and just a minute walk from the train and bus station, KODE art museums, Grieghallen and the lake Lille Lungegårdsvannet. It’s 750 meters from Torgallmenningen, Fisketorget and Bryggen, but it’s a relaxing and safe walk to those attractions.

There are two entrances to the hotel: one just across the bus station, where the airport bus (Flybussen) stops and one in Lille Hilles gate, which is a preferable entrance/exit when going to/from the city or art museums. In the lobby there’s lots of space to relax, as well as take a coffee or cake and buy something from the little Scandic store next to the reception (just in case you need something in the middle of the night).

The reception is very friendly, always smiling and helpful to give you a guide and map to the city, show directions and call a taxi for you. The receptionist who checked me in, Frederick, was very friendly, offered me to leave my luggage in the luggage room when I came in too early, and easily checked me in a little later on the day.

I had a STANDARD ROOM for a couple of nights and was very happy with it. When entering the room, I noticed that there was more than enough of space in the corridor to leave my luggage, just under the hangers and next to the full size mirror. The wardrobe had enough space to hang clothes for a few days and there was an ironing board in it as well. I had a corner room which gave me a beautiful panoramic view of the city, even when lying in the bed. It was just amazing to watch the sun set from by bed...

In front of the bed, there was a nice glass desk, phone and desk lamp. The large Samsung Smart TV was easy to use and made it possible to watch shows and movies in high definition. The available channels were mainly Scandinavian, except for BBC World (NRK, TV2, TV3, TV Norge, SVT, DR, VIASAT movie channels,…) but all English movies were subtitled (not dubbed), so anyone can still enjoy watching TV.

The wi-fi was free and very easy to log on: no login or password needed.

The size of the bathroom was really okay, even for two people. The sink was big enough to lay all my stuff on. The towels were stored above the toilet, but could be hung on the hooks on the wall next to the shower when in use. The shower itself was powerful and easy to use. There was ‘FACE’ soap in front of the sink, as well as shampoo and shower gel in the shower. There was no shower mat, but the floor tiles were anti slip (and otherwise you could just use one of the towels).

Although I stayed for several days, I wasn’t expecting the hotel personnel to change my towels and make my bed every day, but they did! On one day, I left the ‘do not disturb sign’ on the door, and when I came back, I found a bag with two extra towels hanging on the door. Really nice service for those who really don’t want people going into their room during the day.

On my floor there was also a basic gym and a terrace where you could enjoy the view of mount Fløyen and Ulriken. There are tables and benches to seat on, so if the weather's nice, consider to relax out there.

The breakfast was quite large with eight different hot dishes, several kinds of cheeses, jams, cereals, fruits, vegetables and freshly squeezed juices.

So all in all, I really loved my stay at this hotel and can recommend it to anyone coming to Bergen!

Please watch my video review here too: http://youtu.be/wlpfhog4Mw0

Room Tip: Outside rooms from the 9th floor up have good views.