“Good choice in Bergen”

Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
Seattle, Washington
“Good choice in Bergen”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife and I spent our last 2 nights in Norway in Bergen and were glad we chose this hotel. The location right on the harbor was terrific and the buffet breakfasts and dinners were a great value. Easily made up for the slightly higher cost of the room. The room was clean and comfortable and had a big view of the harbor. It was also fun to go up in the tower and get views of Bergen and some history. On the way to the airport, we were able to walk across the street and get directly onto the flybus. Very convenient. If we had understood Bergen better on arrival, we could have easily walked from where we got off the express boat from Flam and Balestrand to the hotel. Altogether a great choice in Bergen.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Lansdowne, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The public spaces and the clock tower are very interesting and worth checking out. We stayed for 3 nights. The room was quite functional and included a love seat. The bed was very comfortable and the room was well maintained. Staff were very pleasant and the dining staff were very eager to please. Both breakfast and evening buffets were very well done. Would highly recommend this property. Parking can be an issue. The hotel has very few parking spots and the public parking next door is quite costly. If arriving with car, other properties may be better for parking.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John G
Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel, like every other hotel we stayed in or checked out in Norway is distinctly lacking in luxe. I just don't think it's the nature of this country.

This one is in an historic building at the end of the tourist/historic district known as Bryggen. It's slightly removed from the centre of town if that's an issue for you. It has been renovated with a modern slant. The decor is dark and dramatic - not my personal taste. The rooms themselves are a nice size with sitting area. The bathroom, unfortunately, is one little step up from the room which can be treacherous for older (or, perhaps, younger, tipsy) guests. The rooms are functional with wall mounted flat screens. There are no American style electrical outlets here or in any other hotel we stayed in in Norway. There's a combo tub/shower if you have mobility issues. Whereas the other Clarion hotels laudably had only wall mounted squeeze dispensers for the soap/shampoo, this one had both these and the wasteful individual shampoo, conditioner bottles which I consider to be extremely Eco-unfriendly.

There's a fridge with minibar but no safe in the rooms. This didn't seem to be an issue here - there's an extremely low crime rate in Norway- but don't expect to be able to leave your diamonds in the room.
This hotel provides a complimentary typical Norwegian buffet breakfast and a buffet dinner. Both are outstanding. There's an Eritrean chef who not only produces excellent food but is also extremely accommodating. He provided me with hot milk for breakfast and anything else he could do.

There's a minimally stocked fitness room with treadmills and free weights.

The staff here and almost everywhere else we stayed in Norway are extremely laid back. This is not a formal country. I thought the fellow, who, I believe, is the front desk manager, came off as a bit flip and dismissive. When we checked in, I inquired about parking. He said they had a few spots, they were already taken, but that we could park in the public garage across the way. His directions were sketchy, at best, so I had to return to find out exactly where it was. Also at check in, I asked him if they had any lower rates than the room rate which we'd booked - this request paid off at the hotel we'd stayed at in Stavanger - and he practically laughed me out of the hotel saying they were extremely full and were charging even more to walk-ins. Factual, perhaps, but slightly lacking in sensitivity. One day, I approached him to ask what time was checkout. Without skipping a beat he said: "This man was here before you". And, then, realizing how ridiculous his response was, he said 12:00 o'clock. These are indeed small points but they all contribute to one's overall impression of a hotel.

When I was checking out, I asked the clerk how much the hotel parking cost. She said NOK 100 per day. The city parking was NOK 200. I asked how one could arrange to get a hotel spot. She said you must reserve in advance. Considering that I was paying double in the city lot and double what is a hefty amount to begin with, I pointed out that nothing was mentioned on their website about their parking and that since I'd booked our room several months in advance, I'd probably have scored a spot. I suggested that they change their website. She said she'd pass on the suggestion. So annoyed was I at what I saw as a major oversight on the part of the hotel, I asked to speak to the manager. Out came a lovely charming lady. When I expressed my disappointment that their website had omitted their parking arrangements, she said that they only have four spaces and that they do NOT accept advance reservations for them. They are apparently allocated on a first come first serve basis at the time of check-in. She did mention, in the presence of the clerk who had originally told me that they did accept reservations and was modifying her claim by saying that you could only "request" a spot when you booked, that the staff weren't all up to speed on the parking policy. But she said it in a very pleasant way. And she inquired as to our experience at the hotel and our impression of Norway. All in all, this manager's attitude completely made up for any deficiencies.
In summary, this is a typical, above average hotel for its price range with ample rooms and wonderful meal service. And a delightful manager.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boundary
Hillsborough, California
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Awkward check-in with young inexperienced staff who also had to handle bar orders, strange but true. Have seen that in small boutique hotels, but this one is fairly large and since there is often but one attendant at the desk, this can create a back-up both for people checking in, out or with questions as well as for those trying to get bar service. The room was adequate but dim to dark, with those low wattage bulbs that make it hard to determine if you are putting on black socks or blue. It had clearly been remodeled but in a strange way with odd/mod touches; it was adequate but nothing special. Ice machines were either off (floor 3) or on and nonfunctional (but noisily grinding away) on floors 2 and 4; didn't check the other floors; glad we weren't next to one as you could hear the noise down the hall; informed the desk, they already knew of the issue but nothing was done about during our stay. Breakfast was basic but one can eat as much as one wants; some were taking full advantage of this and probably of the "dinner" buffet, which was also of marginal steam-table type quality; decided to forgo the "free" and opt for some of the restaurants around town. Hotel has great bones (check out the back staircase and sitting area) so may have been a great hotel at some point in time but not anymore.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Terceira, Portugal
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Unfortunately I chose to stay at the very new Clarion No 13 which, for several reasons, did not satisfy me very much.
I discovered that there was another Clarion, the Havnekontoret, and I immediately went to have a look at it. Being the owner of a travel agency since almost 20 years, I am an expert.
This hotel is a REALLY nice one in the 4* segment! It used to be the old harbour office in Bergen. It is a historic, wonderful building full of charm and character! The lobby is marvellous, a superb mix "old traditional // modern". The huge chandelier hanging on the ceiling in the lobby might be the biggest one in Bergen - wonderful!
The staff at reception did not know that I am a travel expert. But they treated me in a great way, showing me around in every part of the hotel. I loved the lobby, the restaurant, all the public areas, the generous staircase, the pretty rooms (book a harbour view, it is a must!!).
I liked this hotel a lot in every way, and on top of that it has the best location you could imagine!
If you visit Bergen I think that Bryggen is by far the most beautiful sight. This hotel is right next to it. Wonderful location, superb views on the harbour and Mount Floyen is close as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Travelmaniaccc
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is a great hotel. Good location right next door to the old port. Very attractive lobby and welcoming, friendly, helpful staff. Nice rooms but no real view.Go up to the tower for fantasic views over Bergen. The inclusions are endless, breakfast, WiFi, 24 Hour coffee/tea, afternoon waffles and a basic but very good buffet dinner which will save you spending a fortune in the nearby restaurants. It's a quick walk to all the tourists spots. Very highly recommended

Room Tip: Don't stay in the room there is a lot to see in Bergen