“Brilliant location in Bergen”

The Hanseatic Hotel
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant location in Bergen”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We travelled to Bergen for a city break and were delighted with our choice of hotel. It is located in the old part of town - Bryggen so brilliant location for our visit. The airport shuttle dropped us at the information centre, just a couple of minutes away from the hotel. The hotel is nicely decorated with an inviting reception area and comfortable bar. We booked into a Junior suite on the first floor which was spacious and comfortable, but very noisy at night so in hindsight I would ask for a higher room or one not overlooking the street. I agree with other reviews that the beds are soft and for a romantic break it was not ideal the beds were two singles pushed together (with separate linen) rather than a proper double.

The The Fløibanen funicular was just behind the hotel, a great experience to get some fresh air and explore along the well marked trails.

Breakfast started at 7 am so perfect for our Norway in a Nutshell tour. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room or one at the back of the hotel for a good night sleep.
2 Thank onit63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hotel is a gem amidst quite a bland hotel scene in Bergen. The location is excellent: 3 min walk to bright wooden houses of Bryggen, 300m to Floibanen funicular station, right next to the Torget with its Fish market, across the street from the Meat market (with a fantastic "1877" restaurant and "Biblioteket" bar inside) and literally next door to the Hanseatic Museum. As this hotel is located inside a few very old buildings, it's very quirky inside with lots of crooked passageways and uneven floors in the rooms. Rooms are in style with wood planked walls, vintage bath, wallpaper and bed covers with typical Hanseatic league era patterns. The staff is very welcoming: we've been given a room earlier than an official check-in time and got an upgrade. An authentic Bergen experience!

4 Thank MaxLondon1976
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife loved this place, but I thought it was average-Good, however as I am writing this review, I'll put down my perspective!

Too me what makes an average Hotel good and a good Hotel Great, is the little things, the attention to detail, something that makes it more than just a room with a Bed.

On the surface this hotel is beautiful, but it needs more than funky wallpaper and an old building to make it a great hotel, they are close but there were a few little things that built up over my stay that made me so-so about this place.

Pros
• Beautiful building.
• Well-designed room with good quality furniture.
• Very Quiet – We were top floor and there was zero outside noise.

Cons
• I emailed a few days before my stay and asked for a double bed, we got two singles pushed together.
• My bed linen had rips and holes in it.
• The bathroom door was missing its bottom runner, so you could see the plastic sub flooring of the room.
• The lock to the room was temperamental, 5-6 to lock, the light was go green to say it locks, but you could still open the door.
• The world’s most complex room lighting system on a control panel (What’s wrong with a simple light switch?)
• The corridor sign with the room numbers was upside down and screwed to the wall.
• Rusty dirty hinges in the shower cubicle.
• Breakfast does not until 8pm on Sundays, which if you plan to do a Fjord tour on a weekend visit is too late.
• Different information signs say conflicting information (Is the breakfast on the 1st or 2nd floor?)
• Bar was closed on Sunday
• Not very friendly staff, when we walked into the breakfast room, which is tucked around the back of the restaurant. We were totally ignored by the breakfast woman. Not even a good morning or any acknowledgement whatsoever.

These may seem little points above, and one or two you could let go, but when you pay the money you do for this hotel, and are only there a few nights, these little lack of details start to stand out. I don’t go looking for these little things, I just noticed them during my stay, but I just expected a little better as I have paid less and got much more at other hotels.

Beds are important when staying at a hotel but are a personal things when it comes to firmness. The beds here are soft, very soft, my wife said it was the nicest bed she has ever slept in! I woke both morning with a VERY bad back because there were TOO soft for me, be aware of this, when booking.

Like I said, it needs more than funky wallpaper and an old building to get good marks, if the management focused on the little things, and fixed them, (quick fixes too) this hotel could be awesome.

5 Thank cpj79
Gouda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 November 2013

For a business trip I booked two junior suits in this hotel 2 days before (total price about Euro 450). Next day our client cancelled the meeting so no use for us to travel to Bergen. I cancelled the hotel one day in advance but still was charged the full rate. As I travel to Bergen quite often I suggested the hotel to submit a kind of voucher that would allow me to stay in the hotel another date in a quite period. There was no flexibility at all: "These are the rules and we cannot make any exception". So in case you travel to Bergen and may need some flexibility I recommend you to select a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Machiel B
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed 3 nights at this hotel in October 2013. The position is fantastic - right in the middle of Bryggen, the most historic part of Bergen. Don't pay for a taxi from the airport as we did - it costs 500NOK (~£50) - The Flybussen (airport bus) is great, runs every 15 mins to/from the city centre, stops a 3 mins walk from the hotel, and only costs 90NOK each. The room we booked was described as a Junior Suite - don't expect it to be the size of a similarly described room in an International hotel! (I commented on this and was offered a larger room from night 2, but we opted not to spend time from our holiday moving rooms!) However, the bathroom was nice and modern and the room had lovely wooden beam features and a sofa area. Breakfast is buffet style, lots to choose from. This hotel is right in the middle of an area of several pubs, clubs, and bars - some noise can be heard from the street until the early hours. Overall, we felt it was worth staying in an authentic Bryggen building rather than an international hotel - but that does come with trade-offs!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nevaltron
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is a quirky hotel, being part of an old building so the floor in our room had a definite slope. That said the staff are friendly, the hotel might need a couple of things corrected, but its really nice, in a slightly shabby chic kind of way.

Its huge plus is the location, the historic harbour, Fish Market and the shopping area are all very close, 5 mins walk or less or less.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple