“Friendly surroundings i Bergen”

The Hanseatic Hotel
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
Oslo, Norway
“Friendly surroundings i Bergen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed for one night, between two long and demanding days on training. The hotel is situated close to all that matters in Bergen, the reception was very friendly, the room spacious, clean and beautifully designed.

Stayed at room 227, next to one of the hotel´s restaurants. Lively sounds trough the wall during until midnight, but nice and quiet afterwards.

Dinner and breakfast at the FG Restaurant next to the hotel. Tasty meals in nice surroundings.

Ordered a room for my next stay in February as I checked after the stay.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 227 if you plan to go to bed early.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Harald M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
elkster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The décor reminds me a lot of the Zetter Town House Hotel in London which is one of my favourites. The service was excellent, the rooms are a decent size with a large bathroom and a very comfortable bed. The breakfast was lovely, with everything from sausage, bacon and egg to pastries and full continental. Good price, good service, great room and super breakfast. Why anyone would go to a Radisson business hotel instead of somewhere like this with such local flavour is beyond me. Stay here you will NOT regret it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elkster
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I am a Norwegian, living in Norway (city of Stavanger), and I have travelled quite a bit all over the country. Bergen is by many, not only the local patriots, seen as the most beautiful city in Norway and is repeatedly voted among the most beautiful in Europe. I concour!

I stayed at Det Hanseatiske Hotell for a weekend 22-24 November, 2013 and this is, for sure, one of the best hotels in Norway. Excellent service by a very friendly and attentative Swedish lady, fantastic rooms, and all smack in the middle of the best part of Bergen city.

I am actually blown away by this small, but extremely nice hotel in Bergen. Try it out!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MikoNorway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We travelled to Bergen for a city break and were delighted with our choice of hotel. It is located in the old part of town - Bryggen so brilliant location for our visit. The airport shuttle dropped us at the information centre, just a couple of minutes away from the hotel. The hotel is nicely decorated with an inviting reception area and comfortable bar. We booked into a Junior suite on the first floor which was spacious and comfortable, but very noisy at night so in hindsight I would ask for a higher room or one not overlooking the street. I agree with other reviews that the beds are soft and for a romantic break it was not ideal the beds were two singles pushed together (with separate linen) rather than a proper double.

The The Fløibanen funicular was just behind the hotel, a great experience to get some fresh air and explore along the well marked trails.

Breakfast started at 7 am so perfect for our Norway in a Nutshell tour. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room or one at the back of the hotel for a good night sleep.
2 Thank onit63
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hotel is a gem amidst quite a bland hotel scene in Bergen. The location is excellent: 3 min walk to bright wooden houses of Bryggen, 300m to Floibanen funicular station, right next to the Torget with its Fish market, across the street from the Meat market (with a fantastic "1877" restaurant and "Biblioteket" bar inside) and literally next door to the Hanseatic Museum. As this hotel is located inside a few very old buildings, it's very quirky inside with lots of crooked passageways and uneven floors in the rooms. Rooms are in style with wood planked walls, vintage bath, wallpaper and bed covers with typical Hanseatic league era patterns. The staff is very welcoming: we've been given a room earlier than an official check-in time and got an upgrade. An authentic Bergen experience!

4 Thank MaxLondon1976
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife loved this place, but I thought it was average-Good, however as I am writing this review, I'll put down my perspective!

Too me what makes an average Hotel good and a good Hotel Great, is the little things, the attention to detail, something that makes it more than just a room with a Bed.

On the surface this hotel is beautiful, but it needs more than funky wallpaper and an old building to make it a great hotel, they are close but there were a few little things that built up over my stay that made me so-so about this place.

Pros
• Beautiful building.
• Well-designed room with good quality furniture.
• Very Quiet – We were top floor and there was zero outside noise.

Cons
• I emailed a few days before my stay and asked for a double bed, we got two singles pushed together.
• My bed linen had rips and holes in it.
• The bathroom door was missing its bottom runner, so you could see the plastic sub flooring of the room.
• The lock to the room was temperamental, 5-6 to lock, the light was go green to say it locks, but you could still open the door.
• The world’s most complex room lighting system on a control panel (What’s wrong with a simple light switch?)
• The corridor sign with the room numbers was upside down and screwed to the wall.
• Rusty dirty hinges in the shower cubicle.
• Breakfast does not until 8pm on Sundays, which if you plan to do a Fjord tour on a weekend visit is too late.
• Different information signs say conflicting information (Is the breakfast on the 1st or 2nd floor?)
• Bar was closed on Sunday
• Not very friendly staff, when we walked into the breakfast room, which is tucked around the back of the restaurant. We were totally ignored by the breakfast woman. Not even a good morning or any acknowledgement whatsoever.

These may seem little points above, and one or two you could let go, but when you pay the money you do for this hotel, and are only there a few nights, these little lack of details start to stand out. I don’t go looking for these little things, I just noticed them during my stay, but I just expected a little better as I have paid less and got much more at other hotels.

Beds are important when staying at a hotel but are a personal things when it comes to firmness. The beds here are soft, very soft, my wife said it was the nicest bed she has ever slept in! I woke both morning with a VERY bad back because there were TOO soft for me, be aware of this, when booking.

Like I said, it needs more than funky wallpaper and an old building to get good marks, if the management focused on the little things, and fixed them, (quick fixes too) this hotel could be awesome.

5 Thank cpj79