“Dissapointing!”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Alesund
Kongsberg, Norway
“Dissapointing!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Poor service at reception!
Poor service in restaurant - trying to have dinner we we're told to come back in 1hr (no smile), even though they had 10 free tables. Breakfast was served with almost no beverages, they were all empty! And when we asked them nicely to maybe refill, they responded with a grunt!
The reception had poor knowledge about nearby restaurants etc.
ONLY ONE POSITIVE THING -> Spacious familiroom with nice 2way adjustable doublebeds!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fredrik Ø
Silje Viken S, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Guest.

I am so sorry to hear that we let you down regarding the service we provided during your stay.
We are very thankful for every guest that chooses to stay at our hotel, and that is what we want to show you. It makes me sad to hear that we didn`t give you the service you deserved.

Despite your experience here, I hope you choose to give us a chance, and try us another time -so we can give you the service you usually give.

Best regards Silje

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Great breakfast, nice big room, we stayed in room 501 which has an amazing view from the balcony! I can recommend this hotel for families with kids. Close to everything, nice and quiet. Good price too.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Scandic Aalesund, and I couldn`t agree more; our view is magnificent.

Hoping to see you back here at our lovely hotel soon!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in late July......had a junior suite. The main advantage of this hotel is what hoteliers would call location, location, location......right by the sea and we had a great view from our rooms. The junior suite was spacious ...two large rooms......very plain interior....but ok (average - needs some renovation). The bed was comfortable. The view from our room was magnificent. Also central location for the town. Parking in hotel garage for NOK 150 for 24 hrs.

Breakfast was wonderful.....very pleasant room looking over the sea. A great variety of food...more than expected.

Staff were friendly........but....and I only have one item which irritated me.... We arrived at 13.15 hrs after driving 9 hours...were tired......when booking on-line on Scandics own booking system I indicated that we would arrive a little bit early (check-in is from 15.00 hrs)...between 12 and 13.hrs. On arrival I went to check-in and was told that check-in was after 15.00 hrs...and we would have to wait. OK, I realise a hotel needs time to clean rooms etc but this was not done in a good way..... I was not asked my name (so she did not know who I was or what type of room I had booked)....the lady at check-in (pleasant person !) just immediatly said no check-in before 15 hrs. This is an unusal policy obviously put in place by Managment and I would ask them to review thier policy...if they want return guests....Normal procedure would be to at least ask my name and then look in the system to see if a room was available (of the type I had booked)......rather than just giving a blanket answer to everyone on check-in (we sat in reception waiting and I listened to what others were told...exactly the same...no one was asked their name). At least ask for the person's name on check-in ...and look in your PMS system....and ok, if no room available then tell the guest !! - but at least you will have been seen to have done something to help your guest (and you live off your guests !! ). We were given a room at 14.15 hrs...thank you.

Alesund is a beautiful town...one of Norway's best......

Room Tip: Naturally..make sure you get a seaview !
Dear Guest.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful view, and our wonderful breakfast.
And it pleases me to hear that you found our staff serviceminded, but I do agree that we should have checked the possibility for an early check-in.

I hope to see you back soon at our lovely hotel in our wonderful city.

Vasteras, Sweden
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The hotel is a bit on the old side, but Scandic is running s huge campaign to update all hotels, so Ålesund will become better. Situated just by the sea overlooking part of the harbour, it couldn't be better situated. The big window in the room (ask for superior) makes you feel like you're standing on the water. Breakfast was great with the possibility to make you own pancakes,

Room Tip: Seaview of course, ask for a Superior room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Silje Viken S, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear AdTrosa.

Thank you so much for writing us a review - it`s very important feedback for us - knowing how the guest feel abour our hotel.

Yes, you are right, we are currently redecorating some of our rooms, first our suites and some of our superior rooms.

We also LOVE the view, and I am in awe every day - being so lucky as to be able to enjoy it on a daily basis.
Have you tried the gym? When you are on the treadmill - with the windows open - it truly feels like you are running on water.

Makes me so happy to hear that you enjoyed you stay here, hope to see you here again soon.

Wishing you - and yours - a wonderful summer.

Kind regards Silje
Finland
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Surrounded by the famous and beautiful Ålesund buildings from 1904 - 07 this hotel though stands out as a 80's or 90' born creature. Unfortunately the style and quality is not timeless.
Inside the same story continues.
Everything works just OK though.
Room is basic but functional. Bathroom feeling its age. No renovations possibly made after building year.
Minibar was empty. There was dust here and there, corridor had not been vaccumed for a couple days with litters and dust on the floor.
However, the restaurant was brilliant. The food was delicious and well made. There was thought in it.
Location brilliant, restaurant brilliant - otherwise very average.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jaatinen.

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a review - with constructive feedback.

Due to Ålesunds fasade regualtions, we unfortunatly can not change the exterior as of now.
The inside of the hotel is under constant change, we have just redecorated both the resturant and the lobbyarea. We are in the prosess of upgrading our suites and our superiorrooms.
But we are taking it step by step.

Regarding it being dust and litter around the hotel, that should NOT happen. Even though this is the highest of season, our routines should be good enough to handle that. I have talked to the department manager, and she will have a "go-through" with the persons resposible for that.

The minibar is suppose to be empty, sp that our guest can use it as a fridge - and bring their own drink etc - which they can also buy in our shop in the lobbyarea if the need something.

It pleases me to hear that you liked the resturant, every day I am amazed at the view.
in addition to the great service and good food of course. :-)

Wishing you a wonderful summer, and hope to see you at our lovely hotel again soon.

Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Overall it was a great experience. Food again was excellent at breakfast--similar to other locations in the Scandic chain. A little trouble finding parking--the desk clerk could have been a bit more helpful in this regard. The hotel is right on the harbour. The breakfast room has a nearly panoramic view of the harbour. While the building is not much to look at from the outside the inside is very nice.

Dear Jimfromalberta.

Thank you so much for taking the time, to write a review and give us feedback.

It`s always so nice to see that our guest truly liked their stay at our charming hotel.
And the view - I totally agree. Every day - I enjoy a coffee in the diningroom, and every day - equally impressed by the beautiful view.

I will talk to the clerks at check-in to make sure that it is natural for us to give information about the parking.

Hope to see you again here at our nice hotel.

Wishing you and yours a great summer.

LONDON
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed at the Scandic in Alesund for 3 nights in June/July 2013. Hotel is excellently positioned right on the harbour and is well decordated throughout with many of the rooms having sea views. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was truly substantial. The free daily brownies were also a bonus. Alesund is a great town full of character and well worth a visit. Paid 595 NOK per night for a family room which is a bargain for Norwegian standards. Highly recommend a stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Gareth H!

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at out lovely hotel, and thank you so much for taking the time to share that on trip-advisor.

Every day I am breathtaken by the stunning view, and I can truly understand what you mean.
We are very proud of our hotel, both the hotel itself, the food (breakfest, dinners etc) - but mostly our great staff.
It pleases me to hear that you liked the brownies, they are home-made by our first chef Adam. If you choose to come back - I can see if I can trick the recipe from him. :-)

Wishing you and your family a wonderful summer.