“Dark & evocative”

158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,400 helpful votes
“Dark & evocative”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I knew when we visited Norway that we had to see at least one stave church. We saw the one in Oslo in the open-air museum, but it just wasn't the same. I was excited when I realized the Hopperstad Stave Church was an easy day trip from Balestrand.

The church is about a 10-15 min walk from the water, though we could afford to be leisurely since the boat arrived at 8:15 and the church opened at 9. We got there right at opening time, and in fact the guy manning the desk handed my husband the huge key to open the door! Kind of cool to be unlocking the door to a 900-year-old church.

The guide was extremely knowledgeable and gave us a very in-depth tour. He also spoke perfect English! Unfortunately I didn't catch his name. I know it can be a little expensive to pay to get into all of these different attractions in Norway, but it was worth it for the tour he gave us. Even if you don't go into the church (which you really should), the church is beautiful from the outside, in just about the most evocative setting you can imagine. It's not hard to picture everyone coming in from the farms to worship.

If you have time (which you will if you take the boat from Balestrand), it's worth walking around the rest of Vik. It feels much more like an actual town where people live and work, as opposed to Balestrand (I still can't figure out what they do for a living there). You also get great views of the fjord if you walk farther up into the town.

* If you like this review, I hope you'll click the 'helpful' button; those of us who write reviews live for helpful votes and it motivates us to do more :) *

25 Thank skipitgood

Findlay, Ohio, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“One of the oldest stave churches! Great tour!”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is a wonderfully preserved stave church in a beautiful setting. We were fortunate enough to get there for a tour provided by a young man who spoke excellent English and who had many fascinating stories to tell about different features of the church and the people who were part of its history. While we were there a number of people showed up and were not willing to pay the small tour fee of 50 NOK.. They missed many great stories. Do not pass this up. It was an unexpected highlight of our entire trip!

7 Thank Mike S
Greenville, South Carolina
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Very Well Preserved”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We took the express boat from Balestrand (about 25 minutes). The church is a 5-10 minute walk from the dock through the town, past sheep farms and schools - well marked. It is sufficient for some to just take pictures of the exterior - very beautiful surrounding scenery, but if you can go inside go for it. The curator is very knowledgeable and will give a 20 minute history/tour which is very interesting. You will have plenty of time to catch the express boat out.

8 Thank Joshua J
United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Closed but still worth the visit. Had a car so saved the walk from Vik. Well preserved considering it's been there still 1140.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank SHEPHECJ
Clinton, Mississippi
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great place to see was open May 22 when I was there”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I walked up from Vik to see it and was a great scenic walk with seeing all the sheep grazing in the fields. Two kids were there giving the joint tour since I was the only tourist there. They did a fabulous job and took the flashlight and showed me the drawings in the back and explained about many of the corners of the church including the grave. I would highly recommend going on this side journey if in the area. But don't touch the black walls outside it is kind of sticky since it is Painted with tar

Visited May 2013